- advertisement -

Question about low blood sugar alarms

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Mik's Mom, Feb 2, 2012.

1. Mik's Mom

Mik's Mom Approved members

Hello,

It's been a while since I have been on and I have a question I am hoping someone can help me with. My daughter was diagnosed at the age of 6, she is now 13. Her blood sugars are unstable and she has hypo unawareness- she still can't tell many times when her blood sugar is low. Most times, she can't detect a low until her bg is in the 40's or 50's.

We are doing adjustments to her insulin pump basil and bolus amounts, with her endocrinologists advice. She is still having lows throughout the night and is fearful that she will go too low in her sleep. I check her every 3 hours throughout the night and more if she is low, and I have assured her that she will be ok, but she still has her doubts. Which I can understand.

I have read about several different warning devices ranging from the Continuous Glucose Monitor to the Sentry watch. Has anyone had any real experience with any of these devices? Do they work? I am not looking for something to take the place of monitoring my daughter throughout the night, I'm hoping to find something that will give her added reassurance and help her feel more safe.

Thank you for your time!

2. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

3. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

My daughter tells me the CGM is for me, and the pump is for her. But, one night when the CGM wasn't yet monitoring her because it was in "warm-up" mode, she admitted to me that she has a hard time falling asleep now if it's not working.

4. JaxDad

JaxDad Approved members

First, basal test since you're pumping and look to optimize the basal rates.

Second, address your child's emotional concerns with your own reassurance that you'll do it through the pump and your attention, not just the technology.

Partly because you may not be able to get the CGM - unless you can pay out of pocket. But mostly because if the underlying fear is not addressed then there may be the fear of "but what if the CGM doesn't work"?

Addressing the basal rates, and stopping the lows as much as possible is the best way to reduce her fear - and yours.

5. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Yes, there are lost of folks on here who use the Medtronic or the Dexcom continuous glucose monitors, which are the only two on the market in the U.S. Yes, they work well. Do you have any specific questions?