- advertisement -

Question about insulin delivered to home.

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by madde, Aug 8, 2007.

1. madde

madde Approved members

We started using home delivery through express-scripts a few months ago. Ever since we started receiving insulin through the mail, I have noticed Madison's bs is more out-of-control. It seems as if the insulin is not working as well as it did when I picked it up at the pharmacy.

It always comes cooler packed. And is still cold when we receive it.

I was just wondering if anyone else had noticed a difference in bs control with delivered insulin. I think it isn't being handled carefully enough, causing it to lose its potency.

Thanks.

2. missnme

missnme Approved members

Sorry, we haven't had any issues and have mail-ordered all insulin for 2 years. I hope you find the cause.

3. KatelinsMom

KatelinsMom Approved members

We have used Express-Scripts as well. The insulin has always arrived very well packed in a styrofoam box with plenty of cold packs that still have ice when they arrive. We have not had a problem with insulin shipped to us from them.

4. caspi

caspi Approved members

We used to use A-Plus and that was one (of many) issues I had with them - the insulin came with a cold pack that was already thawed by the time we received it and the insulin was warm. I have honestly received hams from Honey Baked Ham that were packaged better - LOL!!

I personally prefer picking up the insulin from my local pharmacy. Yes, I have to pay a co-pay for it, but knowing that it is properly handled is worth the extra money, IMO.

5. madde

madde Approved members

Yeah, I would much rather pick up the insulin at the pharmacy.

Madison's sugar has been erratic lately. I think "maybe" after 3 years she may be ending the honeymoon phase. I don't know what else to contribute it to. It has just been changing alot. It is hard to explain on forum. But, after knowing how your child responds to most everything. It is easy for me to see that something has been different lately. Maybe a growth spurt. Who knows?

Just kind've frustrating.

Thanks for the feedback.

6. momofphoenix

momofphoenix Approved members

I used to use express scrips all the time and never had any problems with insulin being bad ect. Do you think she might be growing and needing more insulin?

7. D-Dad

D-Dad Approved members

I never noticed a diff - but I'd ask my endo for a different bottle of insulin if I were you and then compare numbers. If they improve, something must have happen and I's ask the company to exchange the remaining.

8. madde

madde Approved members

Yes, this could possibly be the reason for the increase numbers of high bs readings she is having. I have started increasing her units by .5 to see if their is a change.

9. madde

madde Approved members

Good suggestion. I'll do that.

10. LJS118

LJS118 Approved members

We've been getting our insulin through the mail for almost 9 years now and I've never had a problem. Sorry:rolleyes:

11. shirley83006

shirley83006 Approved members

i get my insulin and supplies, through Diabetic Solutions. they are terrific. they are here in east coast of florida. for the first few times though i have had my insulin kept cool. for when it arrived. but i must say for the past two times it has been comming later. and it is not cool when it gets here. i need to make sure that i am here. other wise it will be left on my porch in the heat. but i am going to call and complain about it. but other than that they are good. but i have not seen any difference in the insulin, whether cool, or warm.

12. Ellen

Ellen Senior Member

How was the insulin wrapped and was it touching the ice packs? It may have frozen prior to arrival and then defrosted. If so, it would certainly lose efficacy. Trust your instincts. If you think the insulin isn't working properly, ask them to give you permission to purchase one vial for each of the insulins you use from the local pharmacy to compare and see if indeed the insulin you received is not working properly.

I can't tell you how many bottles we've thrown out and insisted be replaced from mail order. We don't have a choice but we do request first delivery of the next morning.