- advertisement -

Question about Insulin and losing weight

Discussion in 'Parents of Teens' started by Volleyball_Chick_15, Jul 12, 2011.

1. Volleyball_Chick_15

Volleyball_Chick_15 Approved members

Hi all!
    I know this may be in the wrong forum but i dont know where else to put it.
    I am 18, 5'1 and 114 pounds i would like to lose about 5 pounds but mostly just the weight off of my stomach and thighs. I am a little chubby in my stomach. i dont know if that has to do with me giving my insulin shots in my stomach. Do yall know of any exersize regimens to lose weight around the stomch and thighs? Also does being on insulin prevent weight loss?
    Thanks!
    Molly

2. Helenmomofsporty13yearold

Helenmomofsporty13yearold Approved members

about Insulin and losing weight

We have found with my daughter that the best way to lose weight is to have good numbers. Try to eat mostly healthy foods, exercise (we found walking an hour a night more effective than treadmills) and bolus as accurately as you can. About the belly fat....we all have individual body types that determine where we hold excess weight. For my daughter, it is the backside and thighs, for myself it is the tummy and thighs.

3. Tigerlilly's mom

Tigerlilly's mom Approved members

Situps and squats are great for the both great for the stomach and the squats works the thighs too. These can both be done while watching tv.:cwds: No special equipment required:D

4. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

If you are using your stomach a lot for shots it is possible to get that puffy appearance. You are basically building up scar tissue in that area. You could try giving that area a break for at least 6 months and see if it helps. Good luck.

5. Connie(BC)Type 1

Connie(BC)Type 1 Approved members

Sit ups, laying on your back and hold your legs about a foot off the floor, and squats, only ever got small lumps from shots and pump, no puffiness, and the lumps go away. Cut back a bit on insulin, and keep records so you can figure out your basal

6. Marie4Julia

Marie4Julia Approved members

I would suggest not cutting back on insulin in an effort to lose weight. That can be very dangerous. Insulin is not making you gain weight. Diet and exercise is key, and if you find that in the course of changing your diet and exercise, your insulin needs change, then by all means make the appropriate adjustment to avoid lows. Good Luck!

7. Jeff

Jeff Founder, CWD

Being on insulin does not preclude weight loss, but cutting back on insulin to lose weight can be dangerous if you don't cut back on food at the same time. Running high will result in losing weight, but at an enormous cost -- high blood sugars, high HbA1c, and damage to your body.

Previous suggestions about switching to other injection locations are a very good idea if you've built up scar tissue. Ask your diabetes team to look at that area during your next clinic visit. A good site rotation strategy can help to minimize this kind of problem.

Like Connie(BC) said, be sure you have a correct basal rate. If your basal rate is set too high, you'll be feeding the insulin, rather than feeding your body's real needs. If you don't know how to do basal rate testing, your diabetes team can help. You might also want to pick up Gary Scheiner's book, Think Like a Pancreas.

If a standard exercise regimen and reduced calories doesn't help you achieve your weight loss goals, I would ask your diabetes team about Symlin (approved for adults with type 1) or Victoza (approved for adults with type 2 and off-label in adults with type 1). Both of these drugs can help you reduce the amount of food you eat very safely, but both also require knowledge from your diabetes team to begin and use safely. Two recent studies of Victoza in adults with type 1 show substantial weight loss with far fewer side effects (mostly nausea) than Symlin.

Hope this helps.

8. quiltinmom

quiltinmom Approved members

I would say no. If it did, everyone would be overweight. Even those people who can't seem to gain weight, no matter what they eat. Type 1's have a unique situation, in that they sometimes MUST eat to get BG's up. I'd say that is probably the biggest problem with weight loss related to D. The trick is to avoid lows (especially during the night) that cause you to eat more calories, while avoiding highs at the same time. Please don't think that staying high for a while is a good idea.

I don't know you, so obviously I've never seen you, but 114 seems like a good, healthy weight, even for someone of your height. I don't know why you think you need to lose more weight. I'm not an expert in ideal weight or anything, but as a person who is 5'3" I'd love to weight 114. :) I weighed more than that when I was 18. :eek:

I've been reading a book lately that my sister told me about. It's hard to sum up in a few words, but it's basically about knowing and embracing who you are, and loving your true self. Somtimes the things we see as flaws are actually our greatest gifts. If you're interested, PM me and I'll give you the details. (I was really skeptical at first, but it really did give me a new perspective.) You can see if your library has it; that way if you don't like it, you're not out any money. But it might just be the answer to your problem.

Also, there's no such thing as losing weight in certain areas. You lose (or gain) weight everywhere. It might seem that you lose/gain more in some spots because of where fat cells are located in your body (I have the chubby tummy problem too. :( ). Doing exercises in your "trouble areas" is good, but don't expect to lose weight in just those spots. As in, crunches don't get rid of belly fat more than it gets rid of any other body fat. (I hope that makes sense.)

Good luck!

9. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

Hi I am a mom of a younge CWD, but responding to your post because i am about the same size as you. Nearly 5foot and 114lbs. I also carry my weight in the same aeras.

The two main things are to look at your diet and try to eliminate the "empty carbs/calories". And to start an exercise program that you will stck with and find a buddy that can keep you on track.

If you have an A1C higher than you would like, above 7.0, then working on getting it down by testing more often and counting carbs more consistantly will help a great deal.

Look at the things your should be doing first then once you have those things handeled, start out with some new habits.

10. Victoria!

Victoria! Approved members

I think the "cut back on insulin" comment was meaning,...Make your diet SO low carb that you don't need as much insulin, which is entirely correct. Easiest way to do that, when you dish up your plate, cut your starches in half then double your salad (and very little dressing). Or at breakfast, have half a bagle and extra eggs instead....And LOTS of water!

Another easy thing, if you love bread like my daughter, find one that has extra fiber in it (we get Orowheat double fiber) that way it helps lower the carb count, and keeps your digestive system healthy which is important when trying to lose weight. Good luck !