- advertisement -

Question about getting medical supplies

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by AnjelTeacher, Dec 29, 2011.

1. AnjelTeacher

AnjelTeacher Approved members

Its turning into a frustrating time trying to get Christopher's medical supplies from our local Kroger here in TN and we are wondering if anyone else has had this problem or has any recommendations.

Vanderbilt calls our prescriptions into the local Kroger but Kroger either won't fill the prescriptions, such as the pen tips for our new novolog pens or even getting the refills for his lancets. When Barbie went to pick up a new order that was called in for the pen tips, lancets, and alcohol swabs, they said they couldn't fill it until the 31st.

So its frustrating and we are wondering if we should switch to Walmart or the local CVS or if anyone would recommend ordering supplies online.

All thoughts are appreciated.

2. caspi

caspi Approved members

Did Kroger tell you why they wouldn't fill the prescription for pen tips? Usually it depends on your insurance. Our insurance will only refill certain items at 28 days and others and 30. We have ours on auto refill so we get an email letting us know when they are ready for pick up. As far as alcohol swabs, they cover those under insurance? We always have to buy those over the counter.

3. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

This is definitely not good service.

I stay away from the big places and use a local, family owned pharmacy for the insulin.

I would recommend to not use a local pharmacy for supplies like pen tips, strips, syringes or alcohol pads. A mail order place is really convenient. You usually get a 90 day supply and can have the supplies refilled and sent automatically. I use http://www.fifty50pharmacy.com/. They are great in working with the insurance company and explaining things.

The pens needles might have had to be ordered by Kroger, which is why they couldn't be filled right away.

4. jcanolson

jcanolson Approved members

I'm also wondering if it is an insurance thing. If that is the case, it really won't matter where you go. You won't be able to get the refills until the 31st. Either that or they are out of stock and have to order.

We use A plus for most things. It is mail order. If they work with your insurance they do not charge co-pays which saves us a lot. Insulin I get from Wal-Greens and have never had a problem. It's always waiting in the fridge.

5. sarahspins

sarahspins Approved members

I agree, and I would ask the pharmacy to clarify this.. if it's an insurance thing, and you can't refill before the 31st then there isn't really much you can do unless you want to pay out of pocket.

6. lynn

lynn Approved members

I would guess it is an insurance issue as well. I have a daughter who has arthritis and two of her prescriptions are taken only once a week. The insurance company will only allow us one month worth at a time AND will not allow us to refill before 28 days. Guess where we are every fourth Wednesday?

If you are running out of supplies before the time comes to be able to refill then you need to talk to the endo about increasing the amount on the prescription. We've done that several times over the years.

About the choice of pharmacy; we use a local chain grocery store pharmacy. (Actually I guess it isn't very local anymore since it has spilled over the rest of the state and into a couple of adjacent states.) The people who work there know us well and work to straighten out any problems we have with the insurance company. I remember the night of Nathan's diagnosis, going there and having the insurance refuse to fill any prescriptions because they said that Nathan's birthdate was wrong. The pharmacist YELLED at the person, saying that there was no way she was going to send a two-year-old away with no insulin, test strips, or glucagon! I was slightly embarrassed, not realizing, in my six hours since diagnosis just how dangerous that could be. She filled the prescriptions and told me we would work everything out later.
    My point in this rather long story, is to say that you should look until you find someplace who values you. Whether it is through the mail or down the road. If the place where you are now isn't communicating well with you then maybe you should try someplace else?

Good luck. It is so frustrating and expensive the first few weeks/months trying to maneuver the insurance maze.

7. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

We get our supplies through Medco because of our insurance.

8. MamaBear

MamaBear Approved members

I would agree with those who said it may be an insurance thing. I would ask the pharmacy about it, and then call your insurance company just to make some clarifications. I say this because I have had issues with a pharmacy and it turned out the pharmacy employee was completely misunderstanding my insurance guidelines. Talk to both and find out how often you are allowed to refill. Though I do think that whether it was an insurance issue, or a supplier issue, either way the pharmacy should have communicated with you to let you know. Good luck.

9. AnjelTeacher

Thank you everyone for your response. Barbie has checked and its not the insurance so when I go pick up the prescriptions for her tomorrow I am going to be nicely "demanding" and try to find out whats going on. We haven't been able to fill the pen tips at all for the last few weeks so hopefully they have a good answer.

We will definitely be looking at ways to save money though and if that's going through online sites, we are definitely going to take a look around and see what will work with the insurance.

10. MamaBear

MamaBear Approved members

Hmm you know this is actually one of the issues I had with a pharmacy, which sucked because it's walking distance from us. Anyhow they tried to tell me the pen tips are discontinued. :rolleyes: You mentioned CVS and CVS DOES carry BD brand pen needles.

11. AnjelTeacher

Awesome, yeah they won't fill the lancets til then either but we have gotten those already. But they messed up our initial orders and it was a nightmare to get stuff initially. So hopefully they have a good answer for us.

Otherwise CVS is nearby so that could be a good choice. :)

12. Sassy

Sassy Approved members

We figured out the problem with insurance. What was going on with the pen tips is when Kroger was trying to fill it, it was clashing with the syringes that were already dispensed. The pen tips and the regular syringes have the same insurance code...so that's why we had to wait to fill the pen tips. But, there is a way to eliminate this issue. For those having issues regarding having to wait to refill a prescription or they won't fill one with the other, etc....the endo doctor has to call the pharmacy admin (which is Caremark for the pen tips) to request a pre-authorization to override the quantity limit. That way, it won't be an issue again. Caremarks pharmacy admins number is 877-916-2271 for anyone who may need it in the future.

If any parents run into this issue, just remember to get the pharmacy admins number for the distributor and have your doctor call them to request a pre-authorization to overide the quantity limit. The doctor has that authority...your pharmacy does not.

13. bgallini

bgallini Approved members

I have to say that our Kroger pharmacist has been AWESOME. We've never had the issue of ordering the exact things you are ordering but whenever they are low on supplies, they give us at least some until they can get more in a couple of days. Anytime we've had insurance issues, they've dealt with it themselves.

I'm glad you figured it out though.