- advertisement -

Question about fasting blood work

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by 3kidlets, Nov 17, 2013.

1. 3kidlets

3kidlets Approved members

Hana has to have blood work tomorrow for cholesterol and urinalysis for micro albumin. Just routine because last time she went, we forgot to fast. She has to fast from midnight on. Test is at 9 am. What happens if she's low in that time frame? I mean obviously, we have to treat but can we still go for the test if she's had juice?

2. Mwills27

Mwills27 Approved members

We've had to do this before and although we were lucky to be able to talk them into a 7:30AM testing appointment; what we did was run him high overnight. It's really up to the lab to determin whether they can still do the testing if your child had to have juice. I guess another option might be to treat a low with mini-dose glucagon, but I would think that also has a chance of interfering with your test results. Good luck, I hope you make it through without any lows.

3. missmakaliasmomma

missmakaliasmomma Approved members

Well, I wasn't told to have my daughter fast before her last bloodwork until we got to the office. We had pizza right before. Her results were fine. Obviously, now we know she has to fast lol. So I'd say a juice will probably not affect the results much if at all.

4. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

I usually try to schedule the first availability in the a.m. and then raise target for the night before. But, as the lab person said, it's one of those things that if they're going low, they need glucose. She said the really important thing is to let them know what and how much was given.

5. mom24grlz

mom24grlz Approved members

i'm not sure. I know before surgeries Ashleigh was allowed clear juices up to 3-4 hours prior.

Before fasting blood tests i make sure i do a temporary reduction of basal. And then i guess if you needed to you could do mini glucagon injections if she goes low.

I did have one time a lab that couldn't do a particular test (forget which one) because it had to be fasting, and we didn't fast.

ETA: Yes and we also go in first thing in the morning (usually around 7:30-8am). We don't schedule we just do a walk in.