- advertisement -

Question about Dexcom with integrated Share

Discussion in 'Continuous Glucose Sensing' started by Larea92503, Jul 25, 2015.

1. Larea92503

Larea92503 New Member

My son is getting a Dexcom with Share this week. We hope to get a cellphone to make his numbers visible to us. We do not have wifi available in certain locations, and we would like to maintain access as much as possible. Can anyone give me any approximations on how much data we will need to for the cellphone that will be kept with his receiver? We are trying to make our phone carrier decisions, but the amount of data used will make a big difference in our choice. I understand there are many factors involved, but any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

We just started on the Dex Share. I asked my daughter not to use the phone for anything else so I could see what was happening with data. She spends a lot of time on WiFi but for the time we weren't on WiFi for the month, and that included an 8 hour road trip to Myrtle Beach, she used .052 - which is nothing.

We are currently halfway through another month. She spent a LOT of time on Cell instead of WiFi so far.
    Her data usage has been .418. So she's on track to 1GB likely for the month. This included about 22 hours in the car on roadtrips and LOTS of time out of the house and away from WiFi

3. sszyszkiewicz

sszyszkiewicz Approved members

there are two apps you have to add together to get the total usage.

Share (this is the app that sends the data)
    Follow (this is the app that recieves the data)

there is only 1 person sharing (unless there are multiple people with T1D at home) but there can be many followers

For each Follower it looks like you will use 150 mb per month. 150 mb/month is the same as 0.15 gb/month. it is little. That assumes the Follow app is on 100 percent of the time and is using cellular. This calculation is based on me watching my Follow app for 10 minutes. There is not alot of data required to make the system work

so based on Nancys observations it looks like about 1gb per month for Share and 0.15 gb per month per follower.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2015
  4. Larea92503

Larea92503 New Member

Thank you so much for the information. I was hoping to go with a discounted provider for my son's line rather than add on a smartphone to our current plan, but that would not really be cost effective if he used as much as 1gb monthly for his Share app.