- advertisement -

question about candies and miscellaneous treatments

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Lakeman, Sep 20, 2014.

1. Lakeman

Lakeman Approved members

We usually use candy or juice for lows. Pretty much got it figured out - hard candy works but chocolate does not.

But by now my DD is tired of some of the candy. So I'm standing in the candy aisle and there are a hundred kinds of candy. I eliminate all the chocolate candy and from what is left I still do not know if some will work.

Are twizzlers fast enough? What about caramel or toffee since they have fat in them? What about sour apple lollipops that are hard candy with caramel on them? Laffy taffy works so does that mean that saltwater taffy will work? Tootsie rolls?

Gummis seem to work but are they as fast as jelly beans?

Does gum work?

At camp they used milk. Makes me think about moving past candy. What about graham crackers? How about pretzels? What if things are "yoghurt" covered? Marzipan? Frosting? Welches PB & J bites?

Any bars that work? Bread? Bagels? Are there some cookies that work and some that dont? Cake?

p.s. we have a one touch meter that has a broken zipper on the case. Does anyone have an old case they would not mind giving away?

2. caspi

caspi Approved members

My son uses granola bars for lows when he's playing tennis when he's not too low. Also bananas (which I realize aren't very portable). Gummies aren't as fast acting as Skittles for my son. We just started using milk at home for overnight lows instead of juice boxes. I'm embarrassed to say that it never occurred to us to even try it.

As for the case - call One Touch and I'm sure they'll send you a new case - they'll probably just send you a new meter.

All of this talk of candy now has me hungry! :smile:

3. shannong

shannong Approved members

Milk is too slow for us to bring up a low. I have found that crackers work pretty well - but not ones that contain fat (Ritz don't work at all). For bad lows, I use Dextrose or corn sugar (they sell it at bulk food stores) and just mix with water. We don't use candy a lot. My son tends to savor candy and ends up going way too low before he ever finishes eating it (juice and Dex tabs are staples for us).

4. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Pretzels have a crazy high GI, in the 80s, and raise bg quickly for us.

5. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Yup, pretzels are fast. Milk is very fast for us too (skim, at least), and we often use that during the day. I try to avoid anything gummy, especially at night, for dental reasons. It really depends on the low. Liquids almost always work fastest for us, so if he's really low, or dropping fast, it's juice or Gatorade. If we're just trying to head off a low, or it's just a mild low, we'll use something like pretzels.

6. caspi

caspi Approved members

I would have never thought to use pretzels. We'll have to give that a try! :smile:

7. DavidN

DavidN Approved members

Me neither. Not even sure if my son likes pretzels. I'll know soon.

8. tammy82

tammy82 Approved members

We used pixie stix a few times as my daughter likes them and something different. The usual though is justice or jelly beans

9. StacyMM

StacyMM Approved members

We use candies at school. My son's favorites are Sunkist Fruit Gems (8 carbs each) and Gatorade Energy Chews (4 carbs each). My daughter likes those gummies you buy in a tub that look sort of like shells and that are coated in sugar (13 carbs each.) The Sunkist and Gatorade ones are nice because they are so portable.

At night, we sometimes use Skittles (1 carb each.)

Besides tabs and juice, the only non-candy option we found to be pretty quick is the Kudos granola bars. Half a bar and it's a really fast spike for my kids. In fact, I bought them for a snack and then moved them to the lows drawer upstairs after seeing the impact.

10. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

We find that honey works faster than glucose tabs.

11. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Pixie stix and smarties are banned at our school. Seems kids thought it would be funny to pretend they were cocaine…duh.

My daughter has been liking the squeezable applesauce lately. But, those are around 20 carbs. We use these if she has a low after activity because she needs a bigger boost. She also likes the cheese/peanut butter crackers. She usually eats 3 of those. We've used pretzels before. 1 pretzel rod is 8g's. LOL, this is where the Halloween packs of pretzels come in handy!

12. rgcainmd

rgcainmd Approved members

I never realized pretzels were so high carb! I don't know why, but I'm pretty sure my daughter hasn't had any pretzels since before she was diagnosed, not because we've been avoiding them but just because we haven't been around any pretzels for quite awhile. She's had a few of those Auntie Whoever's soft pretzels at the mall, but I view those as bread and dose accordingly. My daughter likes pretzels (both the soft and regular kinds), so I think we'll keep some handy to treat lows from now on. I've never been one to fuss too much about the amount of sugar my daughter consumes, but I have to admit that I don't like it when she ends up eating all of her Starburst candy "medicine" in her diabetes bag over the course of two or three days just because she wanted some candy. (I am happy, however, that whenever she's done this, she's counted the carbs and prebolused appropriately.) I think I'll start packing just a few Starbursts or Skittles or whatever her candy treatment of choice for lows may be at the time in her diabetes purse, along with pretzels and a juice box.

13. jenm999

jenm999 Approved members

Besides glucose tablets and juice, I carry these everywhere because they are 10g each, individually labeled, flat, can't get squished, and cheap. http://www.target.com/p/simply-balanced-organic-strawberry-fruit-strips-10-ct/-/A-14576145 They seem to bring him up pretty quickly, and he likes them.

I also discovered that the smallest bottle of Gatorade G2, the lower calorie version of Gatorade, is 7g per bottle vs. the 21 in regular, so are a good choice for keeping hydrated and avoiding lows during outdoor play.

Glucose tabs are still our go-to because 4g is often just about what he needs to correct a mild low, and I like that we can treat them like medicine and are not tempted to view them as treats. With a 7 year old who has to carry quick sugar in his own pockets, it's important to draw the distinction.

14. BarbDwyer

BarbDwyer Approved members

Luke had so many lows right after we came home. We used mostly gummies and juice and sometimes chocolate milk. It was ironic because he ate way more sugar after diagnosis than he ever did before!

Nice thread - learning some stuff :)

15. Megnyc

Megnyc Approved members

Gummies or glucose tabs are generally the fastest for me but I get sick of them. I also use fruit snacks, starbursts, smarties, and mike and ikes. I used juice a lot this past summer because we always had juice boxes in the fridge at work. The honest kids juice pouches ones are nice because they are only 10g which is usually all I need.

16. wilf

wilf Approved members

DD uses apple juice or apples (depending on urgency), and they work just fine.. :)

17. chalke43

chalke43 Approved members

This is my husband's current go-to for lows, any flavor. We have them stuffed everywhere. They're perfect no matter where we're going - I can even fit one or two in a tiny clutch for a night out.

18. Lakeman

Lakeman Approved members

I haven't posted but it does not mean I am ignoring you all.

Anyway, thanks everyone for posting.

Who knew so many things were used for lows. About candies that din't work - anyone know of candies that one would think would work and then discover that they don't?

19. bellows

bellows Approved members

We also use honey. We buy boxes of the packets from Amazon. Pretty cheap and very portable, and fast acting. I also like that it is something resembling real food.

20. chalke43

chalke43 Approved members

You know those button candies that come attached to strips of paper? We bought some from a bulk bin on vacation, thinking they might be like Skittles at 1 carb /piece (or even 1 carb for every 2!). Nope. I think one whole strip is 10 carbs - that is around 50 pieces or so. No way you could use them to treat a low, it would take forever.