- advertisement -

Question about bs numbers in relation to illness

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by JNBryant, Mar 24, 2013.

1. JNBryant

JNBryant Approved members

I know from experience that whenever my son comes down with a head cold or any sort of illness, things get whacky. With that being said, I had to take my son to his pedo yesterday because I had a feeling he had strep, and it turns out I was right. His numbers two days before I took him in started elevating, and I corrected and adjusted according to what has worked in the past. He's been on Amox since yesterday, and last night I noticed something odd. During the day, his numbers were high so I would correct when needed to try to bring him back down, but when I went to check him before I went to bed, he was sitting steady at 170. I left him alone, and when he woke up this morning, he was at 100 even. I gave him breakfast and dosed him with his usual I:C ratio and basal, and two hours later he was high again, so I corrected. That continued up until dinnertime, and at that point his numbers were once again within normal range.
    Is it possible for evening numbers to return to normal without morning/afternoon numbers following suit? I guess I'm just trying to figure out if what I'm seeing is a need to adjust I:C ratios apart from the strep, or if the strep is still causing random bs issues here and there. It's probably too soon to tell seeing as though he's only been on antibiotics for two days now, but I've never seen a 'mix' of normal and high numbers like this with strep before (or any illness for that matter) this early on during treatment.

2. nebby3

nebby3 Approved members

We haven't dealt with strep particularly but anythign goes when it comes to illness and D. It doesn't strike me as that odd a pattern. I assume since you are on lantus it is once a day? If so your only option really is more fast acting insulin during the day. I know my dd recently had a stomach bug and her nighttime insulin needs returned to normal a few days before her daytime needs.

3. shannong

shannong Approved members

My DS had 4 ear infections this winter, so I really got to see how antibiotics affected him. Although the actual antibiotic had very little carbs in them, I needed to give extra insulin to cover for the effects of the antibiotic. So I would calculate his I:C ratio, and add in a corrective dose for the antibiotic. Without additional insulin to cover the antibiotic, he would always run high.

4. JNBryant

JNBryant Approved members

His numbers today were whacky again, so I guess the good numbers yesterday and the day before were just a fluke. I just wasn't sure how a bacterial infection would impact numbers vs. a viral infection. I know that if I ever have to have a medicine 'flavored', I always have to give a corrective dose because of the sugar in whatever flavor syrup they use, but the amox he's on right now is in fact raising his numbers by at least 20-30 points each time I give it to him, with the exception of his nighttime dose which I thought was odd. I guess we'll just have to ride it out for a few more days to see what happens. At least I'm learning in the process!

5. shannong

shannong Approved members

Yes, I noticed the exact same thing for my son.