- advertisement -

Question about Bolusing

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Mom2Michael, Apr 6, 2010.

1. Mom2Michael

Mom2Michael Approved members

Starting tomorrow Michael and his classmates will be taking the PSSA's. They will be getting a small breakfast at school that is being brought into the classroom around 8:30am. On the menu tomorrow are blueberry muffin(27g) + graham crackers (19g) + 2% milk (12g)=58g. Yep they are carbing them up so they stay awake I guess. Now Michael usually eats breakfast around 7:30am and catches the bus at at 8:15am. What to do... if I feed him breakfast at home can he bolus again at 8:30 and eat with the rest of the class? Getting him up earlier to eat will be almost impossible as he doesn't like to get up as it is. I really don't want to take him to school and drop him off at the last minute so he misses their breakfast as we're trying to make his life as normal and the same as everyone else as possible. Suggestions? :confused:
    TIA!

2. lil'Man'sMom

lil'Man'sMom Approved members

I think you have two options here.

1) If BG is good at wake-up and he can hold out, skip the breakfast at home and eat the school breakfast.

2) Give a lower carb/no carb breakfast at home, allow him to have the school breakfast (cut out the grahams).

Good luck.

and yes he can bolus again at 8:30 but I would tend to be concerned about the breakfast spike, that's why I would low carb/no carb at home and let him eat the carbs at school.

3. slpmom2

slpmom2 Approved members

I agree that maybe a no/low carb small breakfast at home might be a good option, and then let him have the breakfast at school, too. If you want to give him a full breakfast at home and are worried about him carbing up on top of a post-breakfast spike, is there a way he could pre-dose for the school breakfast by 10-15 minutes? That would help. But, of course, it's only a good option if you're absolutely sure that he's going to get the anticipated foods and that he'll eat all of it.

4. mollygolly

mollygolly Approved members

I am fairly new to the pump (5months now) with my daughter but shouldn't both meal be doable as your pump would be tracking IOB from the earlier eating anyway. The lower carbs with the normal bkf sounds like a good idea though.

5. tiffanie1717

tiffanie1717 Approved members

I say just eat both and treat for both. Lower carb in the one sounds better just because you don't want him to have too high of a spike. What does your son want to do? I'd check with him and then try to make it work if you can.

6. Mom2Michael

Mom2Michael Approved members

Great idea's, I think I'll let him sleep a bit longer, just give him some turkey bacon providing his number is good in the morning and then go ahead and bolus and eat at school. Lunch is at 11 so we can make up anything there.
    They make such a big deal of these tests but from what I understand the schools get state money if the grades are all good. :rolleyes: