- advertisement -

Putting "our kids can do anything" to the test --- Pie Eating Contest

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by DavidN, Jul 4, 2014.

1. caspi

caspi Approved members

Looks like it was a win-win. He got to participate AND you were able to hopefully educate a few people that had questions. Congrats! :)

2. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Ha! Good for him! That is awesome!

3. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

That's great! Well done!

4. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

so how much apple pie did you bolus for? You did wonderfully and the stars aligned for you yesterday and a "best day ever" event can lives in our memories and puts a smile on our face to just think of.

there is more than one person to be proud of in this situation, good job.

5. mwstock

mwstock Approved members

I would let my child do this. Even if you do not guess the correct number of carbs, you can give a correction later on. Yes, his blood sugar may go high...it may be low...but if you are periodically monitoring the child, it can be corrected. We went to dinner at friends house last night for the 4th of July and it was also a birthday party for one of their sons. It was challenging to count carbs and dose for both dinner and the cake and ice cream, but the blood sugars were almost perfect through the whole evening and into the night. Of course I was envious of the parents who did not have to worry about blood sugars, but my son ate and exercised just like all the other kids!

6. Snowflake

Snowflake Approved members

I'm with you. I'm really happy to hear that the OP's kid got to participate and also win, that's awesome! But we're not yet at a point with our child or with diabetes where we would have said yes.

I used to buy into this slogan, but it actually doesn't really describe my daughter's daily reality at the moment. It's true in a big picture sense -- she can climb whatever mountain she sets her mind to, but there are all sorts of everday delights of childhood that we sometimes have to sideline her from. Maybe someday we really can give her an identical experience to other kids, but not now we're still struggling mightily to learn how to manage D in a fast-growing 4-yr-old with other food restrictions, and while she's still not very good at verbalizing how she feels.

Yesterday morning, we went to a community picnic where she was inexplicably sky-high for hours, from excitement or what I don't know, and we ended up feeding her cheese and turkey instead of the special GF treats that we'd carefully purchased and cold-packed, all while the other kids gorged at a make-your-own ice cream float table. I felt absolutely terrible having to explain the exclusion to her, and had to lure her to another area so she wouldn't have to be on the sidelines to the other kids' sheer delight. Then, last night, we went to a community fireworks event following one of the worst roller coaster bg days in recent memory, and she ended up having a sugar-free popsicle while all the other kids went hog wild on even more treats.

I would have liked for her to share in those magical childhood moments, but yesterday just wasn't the day for it. It wasn't a total loss, she did have a blast doing Fourth activities, but there were definitely moments where diabetes trumped fun.

7. kiwikid

kiwikid Approved members

Kudos to you for giving these Community Picnics a go.... Your scenario, at 4 yrs old with other food concerns as well, would make me want to hide at home from all of it. As they get older they are much more aware of how different things are for them, and they can't be distracted or fobbed off with alternatives.. Attitude makes them want to be into to win.. Age and stage would definitely be an important decision in whether I'd let my child join in. Actually now I'd like to be back at the stage which I did have a say... :tongue:

8. rgcainmd

rgcainmd Approved members

Congratulations!!! Not only to your Pie-Eating-Champion son, but to you and your wife for allowing your son to participate in a festive activity that all kids should be allowed to participate in. And congratulations for putting in just a bit more extra effort which allowed your son to just be a kid.

And tell your son that on the 4th of July next year, I'll be crossing my fingers in hopes that he'll successfully defend his title!

9. caspi

caspi Approved members

Just because you believe your child should be allowed to participate in an activity does not mean that every child should. Your comment is uncalled for.

10. rgcainmd

Oh, chill out! Clearly, all parents are going to make decisions for their children based on their beliefs. I'm just happy to hear that a CWD had a great time and a chance to feel "like other kids"!

Last edited: Jul 6, 2014
  11. caspi

caspi Approved members

Exactly. Which is why your comment with the emphasis on ALL and SHOULD was uncalled for. It's prudent to think before posting. This isn't the first time you've done something like this. And I am not going to derail this thread so I won't be responding further to any of your comments here. If you have any further comments on this, PM them.

12. rgcainmd

In the hopes of ending this on a positive note, congrats to the Pie-Eater Extraordinare!!!

This not only put a smile on my face; it made my daughter happy to see another CWD prevail. Our children with diabetes are everyday heroes!

Last edited: Jul 6, 2014
  13. chalke43

chalke43 Approved members

I make a whole lot of pie every year, and in no way is any of my pie "highly processed junk food." Is it terribly healthy for you? No. Would I commonly recommend eating an entire pie at once? No. But pie does not have to be highly processed. My apple pie contains: butter, lard, flour, sugar, salt, apples, cinnamon, nutmeg, lemon juice, egg. I don't think one pie-eating contest is going to turn a kid into a hardcore competitive eater. It is pretty easy to bolus a modest amount before the contest and then post-bolus the rest based on how much was actually eaten. The fats in the dough should somewhat counteract the sugar spike.