- advertisement -

Put bottles of water in your freezer.

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by denise3099, Aug 26, 2011.

1. denise3099

denise3099 Approved members

So if you power goeas out in the hurricane, you can keep you refrigerators cold and save your insulin. it won't last forever but some frozen waters will help keep the fridge cool.

2. 4MyBoys

4MyBoys Approved members

Great idea! Plus, a full freezer is less expensive to run than an empty freezer so even if they sit there, you still win! I think I will fill the empty space in our big freezer with water bottles! :) -Allison

3. danielsmom

danielsmom Approved members

You know after Daniel was diagnosed....I thought about all these damn movies about disasters and chaos...and we're here in California with earthquakes.. and I asked myself "what happens to the diabetics?" It is so scary to think something can go so very wrong and my child wouldn't have his supplies.....God forbid anything major happens in his lifetime at least....because if we couldn't get our insulin....sorry.....praying for you all in the way of the hurricanes....

4. ehacker

ehacker Approved members

Prayers for everyone in hurricane's path! Keep safe!

5. Charmed7

Charmed7 Approved members

My husband actually looked up how to make insulin in the event of something catastrophic like the movies. What a sweet guy! :D

6. kimmcannally

kimmcannally Approved members

I have a 24 can no-ice cooler that will hold J's entire box with all his insulin and keep it cool for several hours.

Also, talk to your local pharmacy. Our local publix kept J's insulin in their fridge (they have a backup generator for emergencies) when the tornadoes went through on April 27th.

7. denise3099

denise3099 Approved members

This is when I wish I bought the frio pack I kept meaning to buy!

Don't think that hasn't occurred to me. :eek: I read that story about that man who made the insulin during WW2 in Shanghai. He kept his wife and lots of Jews alive until the war was over. I think her name was Eve something or Ava or something. It really was a great story. Every once in a while I have those thoughts of apocolypse and how am I going to get my daughter insulin. :( I guess that kind of thing comes with being a parent of a cwd. I keep a 6-9 month stash of novolog. It's more important than food. That's sad.

8. akgiauque

akgiauque Approved members

Staying cold

A few things to remember about ice & water, learned this by trial and error.
    The larger the mass of water/ice the longer it will stay cold. We use the large zip loc containers and freeze water into cubes. Large blocks last longer, less surface area than cubed ice.
    Also the better it is insulated and the fewer the intrusions the better, Keep the fridge door closed or better yet put youir insulin in a small cooler or pouch within a cooler with ice in it. Do not let it touch the ice do not want to let it freeze.
    We use a cooler with baking racks to keep our milk, meat, cheese and insulin in when we take long outings. Stays cold 3 days and cool up to a week if we are careful.

Good luck, hope all goes well.