- advertisement -

Pus every time we remove a pod

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Gracie'sMom, Apr 10, 2013.

1. Gracie'sMom

Gracie'sMom Approved members

So my dd has started using the omnipod recently to see if she likes it. She is prone to site infections in the past. With the omnipod, every time we remove a site there is a little bit of pus. Anyone experience this? There is a small pimple sized lump under the skin that is painful, but nothing came of them. She uses alcohol to clean the skin before application. Any insight? Thanks.

2. manda81

manda81 Approved members

We've never had any pus or infections, but there is usually a small little bump that goes down by the next morning (we do our changes in the evening)... and are you sure it's not just some insulin? We do see some come out, depending on if we had bolused recently, or if the pod had delivered basal shortly before the change.

3. Traci

Traci Approved members

Been on Omnipod for our years, and have never experienced what you are describing. We have dealt with a site infection before, but it was on our old pump. We use alcohol to wipe the tops of the insulin bottles, but we use IV prep to clean the site before insertion. (FTR, I don't think iv prep is recommended by Insulet, but I figure another layer of protection can't be bad. One site infection was enough for me!)

4. Megnyc

Megnyc Approved members

I have a bit of a pimple looking lump with pus every time I remove any sort of infusion set with an angled cannula (so the silhouettes and pods). It doesn't happen with any sets that go straight in. I usually just put a tiny bit of triple antibiotic cream on it and rub it in and leave it-- no band aid. I have never had it turn into an infection, but I am not prone to infections.

I just keep a few of these packets of the cream with my site change stuff.

http://www.dealmed.com/Triple-Antib...gclid=COvwm4-rwLYCFcFM4AodOTMASQ#.UWV6nrThCqQ

There is probably a cheaper place to get them (or just use whatever you have already). We have them at work so I just grab a handful every so often-- I just find it less messy then the tubes of neosporin.

5. Gracie'sMom

Gracie'sMom Approved members

Thanks for the feedback. I am glad someone else has experienced it. These are her first angled sites, so interesting . . . It is definitely pus, insulin is not green and thick.

6. Darryl

Darryl Approved members

Sounds like interstitial fluid, a small drop will usually appear when you remove the pod.

7. swellman

swellman Approved members

Not green and thick ...

Never seen that in over 5 years.

8. Megnyc

Megnyc Approved members

Oh, I wasn't aware it was green and thick. I would treat that like an infection and monitor it. If it gets warm or red around the edges I would get it looked at.

The pus I get is just a tiny amount of yellow goo (def. not interstitial fluid though).

9. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

Do you know why she is prone to infections? has her skin or mucus membranes been cultured to see if she is a carrier of a bacteria?

IF so then I would talk to her dr as to what precautions may be used in the process, The POD is sterile in the package so the germs have to be coming from her body or the body of the person opening and putting the pod on her.

Maybe use gloves during the whole process just to take out a few of the variables?

10. Kimby

Kimby Approved members

Andrew also often did that with the pod. He also had three actual infections in the small time he wore them. He ended up needing to get lanced and take antibiotics for a couple and then had an allergic reaction to the antibiotic. After all of that, our endo said that some patients colonize more bacteria than others and had us switch from a normal body wash to an antibiotic body wash before site changes. It did really help. Now, Andrew insists on a bath before site changes even if he needs one in the middle of the day.

11. dzirbel

dzirbel Approved members

My daughter has had 1 real infection which was when she left camp. I honestly think it was the lake water that caused it. However, she does on occasion get a small dot of white puss. If it feels sore or looks iffy we put a dot of the prescription antibiotic cream she used for the infection.

Odd and scary fact: When she had the infection the ER sent some of the fluid to be cultured and prescribed oral and topical antibiotics that work against MRSA. We got a letter a few weeks later saying she was positive for MRSA. Then when we went to her next endo appt, they said, "No, the test result says it was negative." So, nice going hospital for screwing up the letter they sent us.

12. swellman

swellman Approved members

Now this thread has me wondering what water source the OP has. Is it well or municipal? If it's well water I might get it tested for micro.

13. Ti'sMom

Ti'sMom Approved members

I wanted to say thanks for this post. I read the comments last week and just now when i changed out DS's infusion set he had pus. He's been super high (400's) since this morning and bolusing wasn't helping. Now I know why. I probably would've freaked a lil if I hadn't read this post already! :eek: I love that i get so much great info on here! Thanks again!

14. denise3099

denise3099 Approved members

BTW, do NOT blow on the site to dry it after you rub it with alcohol. Just let it dry or even wave it dry but don't breath on it b/c your breathe has tons of germs including sometimes strep.

15. NeurosurgeryNP

NeurosurgeryNP Approved members

If it is happening every time, another consideration might be given to a reaction to the cannula. His body might be trying to reject the cannula and secreting the discharge, especially if he has no associated redness or hotness associated with it. Just a thought.