- advertisement -

Pumps vs Pens and Shots

Discussion in 'Teens' started by ZekeWelch, Dec 9, 2012.

1. ZekeWelch

ZekeWelch New Member

Hi everyone, I am currently using humolog and Lantus pens to deliver insulin. Over the past few months I have been looking into getting a Pump. I have already went to Pre-Pump class and I defiantly think the T-Slim pump would work best for me. My question is why do some teens or people stay on Pens or needles instead of getting a pump? Am I missing something because the pump seems alot better. If you are on a pump could you tell me if you like it and just some pros and cons. My only fear is getting on the pump and discovering I hate having the tubing and cannula on me all the time. Please let me know why you chose the pump your on to. Thanks

2. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

Reasons why I am not on a pump:

1. It's something more expensive that I don't feel I need.
    2. I'd be worried about a pump site failure all of a sudden leading to high blood sugar and ketones.
    3. I don't want more adhesives on my body.
    4. I'm a little intimidated by the idea of all those basals to change instead of one lantus dose (I know that's a silly reason but I mean it).

I feel like I know what I'm doing this way, am getting good results, and could not in good conscious say to my insurance company that it would be worth an extra one or two thousand dollars per year for me to use a pump.

3. ZekeWelch

ZekeWelch New Member

I also am in very good control of my numbers with what I am doing now. I am just tring to figure out if getting on a pump is really worth it. My numbers great now and I am doing good. So I don't know I kind of think why mess with success. There are defiantly some benefits to the pump thought. I am a very active 15 year old and it is alot less for me to carry if I got a pump. I am also afraid though if I get on the pump I am going to be ripping the tubing and cannula out of me all the time. They are defiantly going to be making advancements in the diabeties in the near future so I would like to keep caught up with the latest stuff. I have not even had diabeties for a year now and I think it will be an easy switch. To any pump users reading this do any of you have problems with pulled out tubing? Thanks

4. T-bird

T-bird Approved members

I am relatively new at pumping (2 months in) but I love it! :D I have a medtronic Veo.
    I live in Italy so the pump is covered by the state and we don't have to pay. I had okay control when I was doing shots but I have much better control now. Before I would go high every morning because I need a higher basal rate then. Also I have been able to cut down the amount of insulin I use because the basal rates are more precise.
    I am much more flexible regarding going out with my friends and eating.
    I don't really notice the infusion site or the tubing any more.
    I have had the site fall out twice, once because it got caught on a treadmill and once because it fell out of my pocket. It wasn't a big deal. The infusion site is quite small and doesn't take up much space on my stomach. The insertion is not very painful (for me).
    I think the con is that it could fail (happened to me once, it was scary:eek:, I survived). Also it's quite expensive if your insurance doesn't cover it. Personally I find the pros far outweigh the cons.
    I would really recommend pumping.:)

5. babykat

babykat Approved members

First of all, everyone is different. I LOVE my pump. On injections I was getting 8-12 shots a day. I was always high except for about 3 hours after lantus because lantus made me go low even with a split dose. I love adjustable basals and carb ratios. If you think a pump will help you and you are ready go for it. I wouldn't dream of going back on shots even with six pump failures. This WILL NOT happen with every ump brand. The pump I have just keeps malfunctioning but I still love it. Make this decision for yourself because its your life and your body! :)
    p.s. if you're worried about failed pumpsites, they don't happen very often at all. in fact ive been pumping for a year and ive only had one

6. Turtle1605

Turtle1605 Approved members

My son is now on the pump. My main reason for choosing the pump for him was that his basal needs fluctuate a lot during the day and the pump allowed us to customize those. In addition, I thought...."Okay, we know how to do injections now, so let's move on and learn all about the pump." I figured becoming familiar with the pump, even if ended up not liking it, would be to our advantage. I figure it is just another tool in our tool box. I was prepared to try it for about 6 months and go back to injections, but we've decided to stick with the pump for now. We love it, but please know that it will be different so be prepared for a brief adjustment period while you get used to it.

You may be able to get some sample infusion sets from the pump companies and just try them out to see what you think about them...Good luck with your decision.

7. obtainedmist

obtainedmist Approved members

Biggest positive was getting those high numbers down in the morning and being able to eat more like a normal person. Molly is a big grazer, snacker and the pump allows her to grab a bite of something & dose for it! Also, it's great for reducing basals temporarily when you are going to exercise. It is more expensive than MDI, though. Pump supplies are around $200/month for us until deductible is met at the tail end of our calendar year. The pump itself is very expensive unless you've already met your deductible for that year...though everyone's insurance is different. We had just a few pulled out sites. Watch out for door knobs and drawer handles! We had to learn to make sure the tube was tucked in.

8. tammy82

tammy82 Approved members

My daughter has been on the pump for the last 7+ years since she was 21 months old. I think she has better BS control with the pump. Plus she loves to eat constantly and it wouldn't be possible without the pump. As far as the tubing I found a great solution as it was always sticking out completely. I made an insulin pump pouch with a button hole in the back of the pouch which the tubing goes through and you can stick the rest in the pouch. It seemed to solve the problem entirely so there is nothing sticking out anymore. You can probably find a place to put your pump that you are comfortable with.

9. Kcbscrapper

Kcbscrapper Approved members

My son chooses to stay mdi first of all because it works for him. His a1c has been good and he doesn't have difficulty with Lantus that many people do.
    Secondly he prefers not having something attached to him, he is an athlete and doesn't want to worry about a pump when he plays aggressively ( many athletes handle it fine, this is just his preference.
    We also prefer the safety of having a long acting insulin working in his system, although rare, pump failure, or bad pump sites would lead us to worry more and mean more frequent night time testing.
    So for him, for now, he prefers mdi.

10. Leah

Leah Approved members

There are pros and cons to both the pump and shots, so it depends on what you think would be easier for you. I have been on a pump (omnipod) for 7 years, and I went off shots a few months after I was diagnosed. Life is so much easier for me with the pump. Personally, I didn't like having to take a shot every time I ate or went high. There are many benefits to a pump:

1. You can easily adjust your insulin throughout the day. For example, if you are constantly going low one day, you can turn off your insulin for as long as you want to avoid having to eat a lot.

2. Instead of having to put a needle into yourself dozens of times a day, you can insert the pump's needle/tube once, and not have to do it again for about 3 days.

3. You can program the pump to calculate exactly how much insulin you need down to 0.05 units, so bolusing can take 15 seconds, and you get exactly how much you need.

If you don't like the tubing or being connected to something, which I didn't, you can get a tubeless pump, such as the Omnipod. I considered other pumps, but I chose this one because I don't have to be connected to any tubes/wires, it is barely noticeable (especially the new smaller version they just came out with), and you don't have to take it off when you are swimming. Also, if something goes wrong, which rarely happens, it alerts you right away so you know. However, if you don't want anything connected to your body, then shots would probably be better. However, my pump is so small that I forget its there most of the time and it never bothers me.

I hope that this helped, and that you find something that works for you!!!:)

11. solobaricsrock

solobaricsrock Approved members

Advantages:
    1) Not having to inject 6-8 times a day
    2) advantage of being able to set different basil profiles depending on what I need on a give day
    3) CGMS - enough said.

Disadvantages:
    1) no long acting insulin so if things do go bad they go bad in a hurry.
    2) always attached unless you go omnipod.
    3) testing is a must. If you dont test you cant see whats happening. Testing is required.