- advertisement -

Pumping with Saline

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Dvbo79, Sep 22, 2015.

1. Dvbo79

Dvbo79 Approved members

We are "practice pumping" with tslim. It was much easier to understand and use than I ever anticipated. I have to say, though, that I still get apprehensive and have a knot in the pit of my stomach hoping I'm not adding on more things to stress about. I read so much about kinks and trouble with occlusions and how if you don't catch it right away all the terrible things that can follow. With shots and Levemir I always know he got his insulin. Gauging by your own personal experiences, How frequently would you say you have experienced occlusion problems?

2. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

We've been pumping for...10 years - 3 different pump brands, different infusion sets and I'd say we've probably had one or two actual "occlusions". We've had plenty of sites that "went bad" because WE left them in 4, 5 days. Never, even had a kink. Try and kink the tubing. You'll fail.
    99% of problems we've had with pumping over the years have been because we were stupid, or sloppy or forgetful. You couldn't pay me, and you certainly couldn't pay my kid enough to go back on injections.

ETA Most of that business about no background insulin - risk of ketones - etc etc is really, really dated.

3. mamattorney

mamattorney Approved members

My daughter's been pumping for 2 years and she's never had an occlusion. She too has had bad sites, once two in a row (who knows what happened there), but they are pretty rare. Having a Dexcom as well pretty much eliminates any "no insulin" fears. If he went without insulin for hours, you'd know it!

4. njswede

njswede Approved members

We're only about 2 months into it, but it's been a pretty smooth ride so far.

Also, I see from your signature that you have a Dexcom. Most of the horrible things they warn you about are things that can happen when you have a pump or site failure and you have an uncontrolled BG. Well, with a Dexcom, you'll notice that pretty quickly. Noah had a bad site the other day. We knew within a couple of hours that something was wrong when he was running a 350 BG and not coming down despite multiple boluses. There were alarms going off on his Dexcom and all our phones, so it was impossible to miss! We just followed the protocol for a bad site and everything was back to normal.

5. jenm999

jenm999 Approved members

And you'd catch it long before it became dangerous because you have the Dexcom.

6. quiltinmom

quiltinmom Approved members

This. ^^

We have had a few bad sites but only once did it cause a problem besides a high bg. And we don't have dex. I guess it depends how sensitive to high bgs your kid is, but.....
    We did have the tubing break off at the reservoir end one time (which is less likely with tslim because of how it's made), but that is the only problem with tubing ever. No kinks, breaks, etc.

I do want to say, though, that I had many of the same fears as you before we started pumping. I completely understand what you are feeling. Especially once it was here, it's finally real and I wondered if we did the right thing. It wasn't long before I came to trust the pump and love the convenience and better management it provides. Our a1c went down at our next appt. I attribute it partly to being able to easily correct for slight highs that I wouldn't have given a shot for before. Plus better basal rates.

Good luck with actual pump start. I hope it goes as well for you as it did for us. I think you will love it. :)

7. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

Well my oldst daughter gets and feels bad with ketones just above 1.0, we started to use a majority shot of Lantus as a background insulin when we switched to omnipod. Having that background insulin made for a bearable 6 moth run with Omnipod during the recall.

With my oldest we have been pumping since 18 months and have only had a hand full of actually kinked cannulas at removal, but have had plenty of not working well and ketones starting that do clear and stay cleared after new site.

I love having the Lantus in the background, even if a site is pulled outI have time with my ketone prone kiddo to go and do a sie or to just inject a bolus. In her old school district ther was written policy about ketone levels that where not reasonable , but with the background insulin my girls never had ketones high enough with a pulled site or sickness and injury.

Basically my girls get a basal shot of Lantus that is about 70% of basal and the pump coveres the variability they need for wakeup, afterschool and past bedtime.

8. jenm999

jenm999 Approved members

That is genius.

9. forHisglory

forHisglory Approved members

I agree, genius. I saw someone on here that manages that way on the pump with Lantus and asked our endo about doing that. He didn't seem on board. But, essentially you take 70% of total daily basal and substitute that with the Lantus?

10. Theo's dad Joe

Theo's dad Joe Approved members

I don't even know what to say: that sounds crazy-smart, at least coming from my limited perspective, since it solves a big chunk of my concern about pumping.