- advertisement -

Pumping with Animas

Discussion in 'Kids' started by tuckerce, Jul 26, 2011.

1. tuckerce

tuckerce Approved members

Good morning everyone,

We've been pumping with Animas for 2 weeks and I am not sure that I am doing it correctly, although Caitlin's blood sugars seem to be doing much better.
    Scenario: Check Caitlin's morning BS-(67), she is not symptomatic, but ready for breakfast. Breakfast is (28 carbs, which includes a apple juice box and little snack size sausage/biscuit)-After she is about 1/2 way done eating I am ready to bolus-Here is were I need help:eek: I navigate to Ez Carb-input 28 grams-I:C is 1:20-Add BG-(67)-Total=1.10... I deliver insulin.

I am sure that the calcuations for bolus we adjusted to correct the BG, but not certain. We have been pumping with Cozmo and it had a HypoManager feature that seemed a bit easier.
    Did I do this correctly? I gues I need some reassuring.

2. Lisa P.

Lisa P. Approved members

You might want to post over at the parents section, most people miss this section because it's set up for kids to post. :cwds:

It looks like the pump calculated for the meal and subtracted for the fact that her bg was below range. You'd have had nearly 1.5 units if her bg had not been in range, right? When you plug everything in, before you deliver, the screen should tell you how much insulin you get for the carbs, how much is subtracted or added for the bg, and how much is finally recommended.

If you want it to subtract more or less, get your trainer to help you with resetting the range. The pump will make its calculations based on what you tell it the low and high of the "ideal" range should be. Always feel free to call the person who trained you, too, if you thought they did a good job, because they can explain things in the same language you learned it in.

Hope that helps! :D

3. Seans Mom

Seans Mom Approved members

I:C of 1:20, 28g. eaten would have been a bolus of 1.40u. (28 divided by 20)
    The pump adjusted the insulin because of the bg being below range. ;)
    You did it correctly. :cwds: