- advertisement -

Pumping question

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Rock'em Sock'em Mama, Jun 9, 2010.

1. Rock'em Sock'em Mama

Rock'em Sock'em Mama New Member

Please remind me... protocol for changing basal rates...

Fasting blood sugars have been high.. do I adjust the 3 a.m number? Factor in, however, that night time (before bed) b.s. have also been high. So, bolus more at dinner and change 12 a.m. I need to correct my son's numbers now, as we can't get into Endo for another few months.

2. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

For basals you change the basal rate that is TWO HOURS before the problem arises.. so, if at midnight he's beginning to rise, change the 10pm basal by the smallest increment it will allow.. I try not to change to many basal rates at once because they all effect each other.. so start withone and see if the other needs to be changed.. I also don't change a basal and ratio at the same time..

3. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

If you could post some actual numbers, that would help us give you some more constructive advice. Kim is right in that generally you want to adjust basal 2 hours before you see the rise (or fall) begin.