- advertisement -

Pump types

Discussion in 'Teens' started by Mgirod, May 16, 2014.

1. Mgirod

Mgirod Approved members

Hi,
    so I was just recently diagnosed but I like to plan for the future and I saw somethings on insulin pumps. So far I've heard of the T-Slim pump and the Omnipod. I was just wanting to get an idea of which seems easier a pump or pen? I am going to start a novolog pen soon. Also any other tips on how to make dinning out easier?

2. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

There are several pumps to choose from with different options; you'll want to handle and trial each one before making up your mind.

Omnipod is tubeless. You have a PDM (personal diabetes manager) that operates a pod that adheres to your skin. It takes 3 days of insulin. You can either get it as your main pump or the company has a deal for people with tubed pumps called Cut-the-Cord for $200, you get the PDM but can't submit it to insurance. We did this, and it's a great options for summer activities like swimming and kayaking.

Medtronic 530g contains a pump and CGM in the same unit, and if you go low, it will suspend the insulin. The CGM system is much more picky than Dexcom G4, and teens typically find it very annoying for parents to pat them down to see the CGM. Mine at least has zero interest in returning to the Medtronic CGM. Medtronic has a 300 unit cartridge which is useful for puberty.

Animas is similar to the Medtronic but it takes more scrolling, has a colored screen, and a meter remote that can bolus but not change basal. It's cartridge only holds 200 units.

Accu-chek's pump is very basic (no smart features), but its remote both has smart features to bolus and can do temp basals.

T-slim is came out about a year ago. Lots of people seem happy with it.

Asante uses glass humalog cartridges and is offering a free trial with insulin right now.

3. mamattorney

mamattorney Approved members

I think that you'll find using a pen is a lot easier than using a syringe, I think you will like it better than syringes.

Pumping is very different than using either a pen or a syringe. It's a lot less painful because you stick yourself once every 2-3 days and then just "infuse" insulin through that same site every time you eat instead of giving yourself a shot every single time you eat. But, it comes with it's own hassles, too. My daughter wears a t:slim and she likes it a lot. As much as she doesn't like changing her site every three days - she says there's no way she would even think about going back to giving 5+ shots a day.

My tips on dining out are: most chain restaurants at least have menus online. Many have nutrition information, too. So if you know where you are going, you can look up the menu ahead of time and try to decide what you might like to eat. Even if you pick 5 things that you may choose from, you can calculate the carb counts in advance, write them down and bring them with you. Do you have a smartphone? If you do, then you can start a document at home of all your favorite restaurants and the carb counts of the things you like to eat and save it in your google drive and then access it at the restaurant. I do that for my daughter (who has just a "dumb" phone for now - I'm so mean). You should get a copy of a book called "Calorie King". It has what seems like every single food in the world in there to help when restaurants don't have nutrition info available. It's available as a real book, as an app if you have an iPhone, or you can buy the ebook on amazon and read it in the kindle reader if you have an android smart phone. You can search "cinnamon roll" and it will tell you how many carbs are in a small one, a medium one, and a large one, etc. If you regularly eat a food, just add the carbs to your google doc if you have a smart phone. It's really handy.

When my daughter was on an insulin pen, we also just dosed at the table. I guarantee you - no one is paying any attention and the pen doesn't look nearly as "medical" as a syringe if they do glance your way.