- advertisement -

Pump Transition: supplies disposition

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by KHM, Feb 16, 2011.

1. KHM

KHM Approved members

Hi---we've made the leap into pumping (love it); I have a huge cache of NovoPen JR penfills, disposable Levemir Flexpens and some vial of Humulin R, syringes, needle tips.

While I know I should hold on to some of these items for emergencies and pump vacations, they do expire and it seems wasteful to not pass what we won't need along to those who might. I'd like to find a way to get the items to a clinic that might be able to give them to patients appropriately.

Any suggestions from those who have gone down this path before?

Thanks--

2. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

You can fill the pump cartridge with the penfills!!!!

just do not put air in like a vial or you will blow the stopper out,9and insulin).

Or are you on to a new rapid acting insulin in the pump?

3. KHM

KHM Approved members

Nope; we're using the same fast-acting insulin. I love that because I know its pharmacodynamics so well. You're right: I'll use the cartridges to fill the pump since our co-pay is quite high for the Novolog.

4. virgo39

virgo39 Approved members

We kept our penfill cartridges to fill the pump, too (in fact, we asked that the prescription for vials be switched back to penfill cartridges, as we get more insulin that way and waste less -- we do a minimum 85u fill on DD's pod).

After keeping a Novopen junior, some pen needles and syringes as back-up, we gave our extras (including an extra Novopen junior, meter, and some stuff -- log books, diabetes books, etc. that we received at dx and didn't use) to our endo's office. The endos and CDEs volunteer at a free clinic and they had indicated that they would accept and appreciate the extra supplies.

ETA: Congratulations on the pump start!