- advertisement -

Pump training- endo or Medtronic rep?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by mysweetwill, Feb 17, 2012.

1. mysweetwill

mysweetwill Approved members

We received my son's pump today and he is of course anxious to get started. Unfortunately, our nurse at our endo's office who would do the training just told us she is leaving in three weeks. She can do the saline end of next week and insulin the week after but then would be gone the week after that. It doesn't seem to make sense to me to train with her if she is leaving, so I asked if we should train with our new nurse so she gets to know us, his settings, as she will be our go to person the important first few weeks he is on the pump and obv. thereafter as well.

Well, the new nurse can't see us until the end of March. W will not be pleased. What would you do? I imagine we can train sooner with Medtronic people, as they are training us on CGM separately from our endo's office. However, we still have the transitioning nurse issue. Not having gone through this before it's hard to imagine how much support we will need especially initially and whether it just makes sense to wait. Any words of wisdom?

Last edited: Feb 17, 2012
  2. Connor's Mom

Connor's Mom Approved members

I did the training with our Endo's office. The nurse that does the pump start only stays with us for 3 months then you go back to the nurse that works with your particular Endo. I thought everything was ok when we started but, the more problems I had the more I gelt like something was missed.

I just had an animas rep come out to show me some different sites. I am wearing 2 now. When we started the endos office never even asked if I wanted to try one. I didn't think to ask but, I should have tried it then. When we needed to try a different site for my son, insertion was explained over the phone or though email. It wasn't clear and I was doing it wrong, I just found out:(.

If you aren't going to be staying with e same nurse any way, I would go with the company rep.

Good luck!

3. KatieSue

KatieSue Approved members

We did our training with a training nurse who came to the house (we use omnipod but she also trained for other companies). Then for any tweaks/settings etc we talk to the pump nurses (there are two they job share) at our Endo's office. It worked out fine.

4. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

We did our saline start and CGM start with Medtronic people, and the actual pump start with the CDE that does the hospital pump starts. But, after the first day, we were back to our regular CDE. I think the most important thing is that you have a consistent person working with you on numbers and patterns rather than a different person each time.

5. Connie(BC)Type 1

Connie(BC)Type 1 Approved members

I trained myself on all 4 pumps I've owned, I also know of parents who have trained themselves successfully

6. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Our practice pretty much insisted that the rep train us. Makes sense as they are trained in all the ins and outs. The Animas rep came to our house and trained us. It was great because it was in a familiar setting, very comfortable and we went at our own pace.

7. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

For the pump, we first attended pump classes, which were put on by the Medtronic rep. The actual pump trainer who came out to our house was my endo's dietician, who is a certified Medtronic trainer.

For the CGM, we attended a class, again with the Medtronic rep. That time, both the rep and dietician came out to the hosue for the first insertion.

I don't know that it matters much whether the person who does your pump training is the one who is then working with you on dosages.

8. NeurosurgeryNP

NeurosurgeryNP Approved members

I got trained on both the pump and CGM by the Medtronic rep.