- advertisement -

Pump Supplies at School - Do you leave some there?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by jules12, Aug 9, 2007.

1. jules12

jules12 Approved members

I am meeting with the school nurse today. I posted a question about glucagon at school in the "school" section but noone answered. Do all of you have someone who will administer this? The nurse is very reluctant about it. Other than that, the school has been very supportive.

My only other issue today will be that the nurse wants us to leave pump supplies at school - I just don't see the need - I am 15 min away and can get off work whenever I need to - I haven't had a problem with his pump site failing yet - could happen in the future - but for now it's been OK. How do you guys who have been pumping for years handle this? It makes the nurse nervous not to have all his supplies he needs available.

2. missnme

missnme Approved members

We do not leave site change supplies at school, as I would not have our health aid insert a new site if it failed. In the two or three times we've had a site issue, I have run over to the school and given her an injection to cover her afternoon basals and then just did a new site at home. She'd get a 2 or 3 hour 'pump vacation' and didn't miss much time. She uses numbing lotion for sites, so it's a little more time consuming to do the site change during school time.

Perhaps you can just leave insulin and syringes for an emergency.

3. liasmommy2000

liasmommy2000 Approved members

I doubt we will for Lia. There is no nurse. The school secretaries do it all. I feel quite comfortable asking them and having them do everything else, but I think that might be a bit much.

However I do work an hour away. I plan to leave work ASAP if a site goes bad/pump failure and have a bottle of Novolog and syringes there for them to give an injection if needed.

ETA--Oops, sorry, I didn't see the glucagon question. Yes we leave two kits at the school. One in the office and one in the latch-key room (Lia attends latch-key before school). The two secretaries, one aide, and 2-3 latch-key staff members are trained for treating lows and that includes glucagon. Her main teacher and all other teachers are also trained to recognize lows and what to do. They are not trained on the glucagon but do know to contact the office ASAP and give juice or a fruit roll up until someone arrives in the class for a bad low. Minor lows she goes to the office.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2007
  4. jules12

jules12 Approved members

Thanks for replying - Sometimes it is just nice to hear from someone else to know you are on the right track. The nurse pushed for this last year pretty hard but we only had 1-2 months of school left after dx. I will stand firm and see how it goes this afternoon.

Site changes can be tricky for someone who does them all the time and I don't want anyone else doing it and neither does my son.

5. Haley'sMom

Haley'sMom Approved members

We keep glucagon, syringes and insulin at school for Haley. If her site failed, I would just head to school and change it.

6. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Our doctor has it in her school orders that the nurse must administer glucagon and how much to do. Why is your nurse hesitant? She is a nurse, trained to administer injections. How different is it than the epipen for kids with allergies? Not much. Does she show hesitation in doing that too? Epipen and glucagon mean the same for both situations, life or death. I would push the issue.

As for pump supplies, we have an entire set change along with insulin cartridges on site at school in the nurses office. I figure if I am farther away from home than normal, it saves time from me having to run home and get a set. I have had this happen, so it does come in handy. I can head straight to school and take care of business. We have it written in the 504 and emergency plan that the nurse cannot change the set (they are totally capable, it's for my own comfort), we will come change it. If insulin needs to be administered, then they are to use the Novopen.

Ugh! I can't believe school is almost here!

7. Abby-Dabby-Doo

Abby-Dabby-Doo Approved members

I don't understand your nurse at all? She's very reluctant about the glucagon, but wants you to leave pump supplies at school? Doesn't she realize the lows are much more life threatening than the highs?!

I don't mean to sound rude, please I'm not trying to. But first I would make sure and educate her on the difference. Highs are dangerous too, but using the glucagon is SO much more important.

Yes, we have 3 people (nurse, secretary, and teacher) that know how to administer the glucagon. We have several glucagon's and one is left at school and daycare. We do keep site change supplies at school, BUT that is only so we can go straight to the school without having to stop at home so WE can do the site change.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2007
  8. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

Kaylee's not in school yet.. but I would definitely leave glucagon at school.. as for the site changed, I don't think I would.. I wouldn't want anyone doing that.. so I would leave syringes (they can get insulin out of the pump reservior).. or I'd go over an either A, do a site change, or B give her some insulin through a syringe and leave it till she got home.. depending on what time of day it was..

9. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

I totally agree.. you can't give to much glucagon either.. if that it what they are afraid of (from what we've been told anyway).. I would definitely push the issue too.. thought it was a law that they couldn't refuse to give it?? Every time we see the endo we have a list of questions, and one of them is, is there glucagon at school.. Im quite sure that kaylee's CDE would be ALL OVER her school if they refused..

10. momofsingingdiabetic

momofsingingdiabetic Approved members

I don't know how much my information will help you, but it might for someone older. Danielle is almost 14, so she does all her site changes herself anyway.

We keep a glucogon at school and she carries one with her in her purse. We also leave pump supplies, insulin, syringes, etc. in the nurses office and she carries an extra infusion set and cartridge with her in her purse also. So no matter where she is, she is set. I say this now, but we are entering high school and I have to contact the nurse after the 20th to set up an appointment with her. So I have no idea for sure how she will handle it this year.

I agree though that there should be several people at the school trained to administer her glucogon if needed. We also show Danielle's friends how it works just in case that she is out with them and something happens. They know to give it to her only if she is unresponsive and then to call 911 and call us from her cell phone.

11. selketine

selketine Approved members

If your nurse is squirrelly on giving glucagon I would not want her as the nurse. The previous school nurse where William will be going to school was the same way. She was also reluctant to delegate the glucagon to anyone else. If she hesitates with the glucagon then I'd talk to her supervisor and perhaps they can put another nurse there.

Right now I don't plan to leave site change items at the school but I will bring a bottle of fast acting insulin and syringes to be used for two things only: If his site/pump fails and they cannot get ahold of us and to use if there is a lockdown at the school (code red - no one in or out) AND his pump fails and they have to stay there awhile. Ok....I cannot imagine the circumstances of the last scenario but living near Washington, DC and where the "beltway sniper" had schools in lockdown mode often a few years ago I think you have to have some back-up.

12. jules12

jules12 Approved members

Our nurse is actually very educated on diabetes - she attends the clinics put on by our endo group and took the initiative to have pump training, ordered backup meters to have at school, etc. She is very proactive - checks on my son as often as I want her too - educates all the other personnel including extra teachers, bus drivers, etc. Communicates with the clerk during my son's BG checks if/when she is out of the building. I talked to her almost every day last year. She is definitely an ali and I want to keep it that way.

I will talk to her again today about glucagon. The epi pen reference is a good one I will use that. Perhaps because it is not written into our endos orders....they said to call 911. So maybe I need to go back and talk to them before I get into anything to much with the nurse at school.

We are still knew to this and are working it out - the other issue I had last year was having too many supplies at school - we ran into a strip shortage because I couldn't get the script renewed yet because it hadn't been enough days and the other strips were locked up in the school building. I don't want my extra inserter at school when my other breaks over the weekend.

There is just so much to think about at school - what to keep in the classroom, what to keep in the nurses office, when to check....not to mention when I finally get his schedule on when PE, lunch, recesses are so I figure in snacks, BG checks, etc. And now this year, working on 504 plan. I have to admit I was dreading the beginning of the school year just because I have to think through all this D stuff!!!!

13. Stacey Nagel

Stacey Nagel Approved members

Jesse keeps a duplicate set of all his pump, testing supplies, insulin pen and glucagon in the nurses office. But he is 15 and self sufficient in his care..
    I'd leave a set of stuff there if I was you.. What about the 1 time you're not going to be available to run to the school???
    Is the nurse willing to learn to put in a set??

14. Mama Belle

Mama Belle Approved members

We keep 2 extra sets of all supplies needed for a set change. We have had sets rip off (mostly in the tight bathroom stalls) at school and she needed a new one. She can insert a new set herself, if necessary. If she didn't want to do it herself, I would still come to the school to do the set change, instead of having the nurse do it. But it makes it much easier having the supplies already at the school. This way I don't have to head home first (30 min. away from school) or keep supplies at my office (even though I do anyway).

EDIT: I can also see where the nurse would be hesitant about glucagon if it is not the docs orders. By law they can't administer a medication without orders from a doc. So the issue is probably with the doc, not the school nurse. Get the orders changed and then insist that at least 2 additional folks be trained on its administration.

15. Mom2rh

Mom2rh Approved members

Ryan, at 12, carries a fanny pack with back up supplies including his glucogan. He does his own site changes. He also has syringes in case he needs insulin before he can do a site change (and we assume he'll be able to get insulin out of the pump). He is starting junior high and public school on Tuesday. So far, I'm very impressed with the school and how they deal with stuff. The protocol for dealing with diabetes was posted on the health office wall...couldn't argue with any of it. They are insisting we do the 504...rather than me having to fight for it. I feel very lucky.

16. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

My son keeps all his supplies for a single site change in the school office. It is too much for a single fanny pack and the building is pretty small. He can change his own site, but he could do a shot as well and change it when he gets home.

17. Hollyb

Hollyb Approved members

We don't have a school nurse and they won't give glucagon. Aaron still has it in his backpack in case we get there before the paramedics (who apparently prefer to start a glucose IV). When he went on an out of town school trip, though, I found a teacher willing to learn to administer it.

We work at home, pretty close to the school so for a while we just ran him up a set change if he needed it. Then we got smart and I set up a kit he can keep in his locker. We don't keep insulin in it, just swabs and an infusion set in case one falls or rips off.

18. Treysmom

Treysmom Approved members

We have the Glucagon @ school. One of our nurses has administered it before on a child. I leave pump supplies @ school just in case. I won't have to stop @ home. I know our nurse would do a site change w/o problem if need be. Trey would be the one w/ the problem, he prefers daddy or mommy.

19. jules12

jules12 Approved members

Meeting with the nurse went well - she is open to glucagon as long as I get the orders from the endo....which I have a call in to get that done. Do you ever feel like you are signing your kid away with all the paperwork you have to sign off on - prescription orders, bus driver info, teacher info, district info, etc..... 504 meeting is coming so that is good too. Now I just have to be sure I have all my info ready.

I am not keeping pump supplies there right now - I am 20 minutes away and our house is on the way. I have two serters and I don't want to leave one at school. When we have some extra cash (haha), I will order another one. It would be convenient to know there was one at school - right now, my son wouldn't want the nurse to change his site and he is not ready to do it himself.

On top of all of this, my son is coming down with a sore throat and cough....I guess we will experience our first sick days too right now. :(

Thank you to everyone who has responded, I really appreciate this board and everyone's willingness to help out!