advertisement

Pump start! (Sort of)

Discussion in 'Adults with Type 1' started by njswede, Jul 28, 2015.

1. njswede

njswede Approved members

We went to the pump start class today. Sort of. We have the Animas Ping and it's really easy to use, in my opinion. Yet, they want us to do a dry run with saline solution for a week. I protested, but to no avail. If I haven't killed him with MDI, I won't kill him with a pump that has way more safeguards.

Is the practice of a dry run with saline common? It's a PITA, IMHO.

2. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

I think it is a pretty common practice. We just got done doing two saline trials. One with the Omnipod and one with the t:slim. Her endo's rationale was less safety and more just experiencing the pros and cons of each pump.

3. njswede

njswede Approved members

The funny thing is they had us do it after we had decided on a pump and got it delivered.

4. funnygrl

funnygrl Approved members

My endo's office requires it. I ditched it and loaded up with insulin when I got home. Obviously not advisable, though, since they hadn't set my basal rates yet (I put my best guess in), had me come off my lantus (I did a temp rate until the time I would take it), and they weren't doing the daily phone calls checking in they normally do with an insulin start. Then the next week they gave me the basals they set for me, and mine had worked better, but I had to play dumb and pretend I hadn't really been using insulin. I eventually confessed.

5. Michelle'sMom

Michelle'sMom Approved members

My dd's endo's explanation for the saline trial was that we needed to be sure she could tolerate wearing it, & we needed to learn to find our way around the menus. We had already chosen the Ping, & they were fully aware. The orders were in process. We did a 3 day trial with a Medtronic pump. I think it's a waste of time.

6. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

We did a saline start with the Medtronic. We missed more boluses than anytime before or after during that saline trial. We were so focused on doing the pump correctly that we completely forgot to use the pen. When the Omnipod arrived, we just read the directions and started it after talking to one of their people. We probably don't make the best use of all the features as a result, but I could study the manual further if I so wished.

Do most people have to do a saline trial the second time around? The warranty on the Medtronic will be up this fall, and I can't imagine making a kid wear two pumps at the same time. Is that what most trials require?

7. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

Which pump is she leaning toward? What changed her mind about pumping and cgming?

8. Christopher

Hi,

She definitely wants the Omnipod. She really didn't like the tubing of the t:slim and trying to figure out where to put it, especially when she plays tennis. And sleeping. She only tried it for a few days so I am not sure she gave it a fair chance, but it is her body, her decision. I talked to the Endo's office yesterday to get the process started.

As for your second question I am not totally sure. I think one factor was her frustration when she would bolus for a meal and then either want to eat less (or sometimes more). I think she wants more control over her dosing and eating. And I think as she has gotten older it is just a natural progression, for her at least.

The CGM really took me by surprise because she had tried a blinded trial one a year or so ago and hated it. She said it was uncomfortable and itchy. She said the Dexcom is much better. For me the CGM has been great, just to see trends and also to help her see what happens when she doesn't pre-bolus. It will also be helpful as we transition to a pump, figuring out her basal rates. And finally, the nights. Just being able to look at my phone and she where she is at and where she is trending is amazing. And since she will (hopefully) be going off to college soon, the CGM gives me a little bit more security that she will be OK at night.

9. njswede

njswede Approved members

Sorry, my bad! If there's an admin around, feel free to move it!

10. njswede

njswede Approved members

I'm happy to report the first 24 hours went really well. The only issue was that he was worrying about how to sleep with it, but that turned out to be a non-issue. He sleeps on his side or back most of the time, so he just snapped it to his pants. My wife couldn't make it to the training so I gave her a crash course and she's amazed how easy it is. We'll see how the site change goes, but we're used to Dexcom site changes so it shouldn't be that much of an issue.

I really have to struggle not to load the thing up with insulin and store away the pens and needles somewhere out of sight. It it just SOOOO convenient to be able to bolus him with the remote without interrupting what he's doing (read: playing Minecraft). This is going to be good!

11. Christopher

Sounds like you are off to a great start. Glad to hear it.

Don't forget to change your sig :D

12. susanlindstrom16

susanlindstrom16 Approved members

So glad its going well so far! I love having the remote too.
    We had to do saline and it was really annoying. It was hard to explain to a 5 year old that we still had to do the shots on saline (since I had told her that once we had the pump = no more shots). Also, we struggled with site changes and it was annoying to have to do one before we were using insulin. I guess it was good to practice though.

13. rgcainmd

rgcainmd Approved members

We did the same thing. I loaded up a new Pod with insulin and ditched the saline-filled Pod when we got to our car. And have never looked back!

14. njswede

njswede Approved members

Please don't tempt me! :) I so want to do that! But it's only a few more days. Maybe I should play by the rules.

15. rgcainmd

rgcainmd Approved members

There are times to play by the rules and there are times to go rogue when it comes to T1D!

I'm confident you'll be fine either way! Keep us posted...

16. njswede

njswede Approved members

Two more days to go on MDI. I'm excited, but that's nothing compared to DS. He LOVES his pump!