- advertisement -

pump start- accessories to buy?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by susanlindstrom16, Oct 3, 2013.

1. susanlindstrom16

susanlindstrom16 Approved members

If all goes well, my daughter will start pumping October 17! We are excited about it, but I have to admit I am also anxious, I guess because of the fear of the unknown and all that. I have millions of thoughts/ worries swirling through my head, but the one I am thinking about the most right now is how is she going to wear this thing? She is an active 5 year old so it will need to be secured well. Does anyone have any suggestions? I found a bunch of stuff online, tank tops, pump bands, packs...i'm a little overwhelmed. Before i go crazy and just start clicking and buying (and overspending!), what has worked for you? Its an Animas Ping pump, I guess thats important? Or does most stuff fit any pump?

2. tammy82

tammy82 Approved members

When we first pumped we bought pouches that folded over by Velcro and had a detachable belt but found the pouch always flopped over. From my experience it is not be the best choice if you are looking for a pump pouch. We now use a pump pouch with already attached belt at the sides, zipper closure and buttonhole in back for the tubing which works. My daughter wears hers at the hips right where the top of her pants waist line is and works nicely for her at that spot. You can check out www.Dazzlingpumppouches.com it has some nice items.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2013
  3. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

4. Charliesmom

Charliesmom Approved members

When Charlie first started pumping we also ordered homemade pouches online. It worked well because he could pick out the fabric. The lady we purchased from no longer sells but I liked hers because they weren't bulky and you couldn't tell he had it on when his shirt was untucked. We eventually switched over to Spibelts and they worked well.

5. shannong

shannong Approved members

I was surprised how well just the clip works to secure it to their waistband. This is my son's preferred method of wearing his Animas pump. The clip was included with the pump. However, when he is engaging in sports, we do use the spi-belt. I have tried one other pump pack, but it was the kind that had a pouch and no zipper and his pump would fall out.

At night, my son sleeps with his pump just beside him in bed. Sometimes the tubing can get wrapped around him, but he has never pulled a site out and he just adjusts it himself while sleeping because it becomes second nature to them.

One other word of caution, my son ripped the material on his spi-belt because he kept the clip on his pump in the spi-belt and the clip ended up tearing a hole. Now when he wears the spi-belt, the clip comes off.

6. momof2marchboys

momof2marchboys Approved members

I was worried too when our son started pumping bc he is a very busy little farm boy. I bought a pump pouch for him to wear on his waist and it didn't seem to wear comfortably for him and it caught on his site in his tummy and pulled out alot of sites - so after that we basically threw it away and have gone to putting the pump on his waist band with the clip it comes with or in his pants pocket. But now for a girl when she wears a dress that may be little different situation....good luck

7. Kaylee's Mom

Kaylee's Mom Approved members

We have been through a lot pump cases and just got some from Mypumptastic.com .. they are fabulous. They do not flop over .. they are heavy material and great zippers.

Congrats on the new pump!!

Crystal

8. pennjewel

pennjewel Approved members

Congratulations! My daughter, who is 6 has been using the Ping for just about two years now and it's been great. We did buy a spibelt, but she never liked having a pouch. She just wears the pump clipped to her waistband and this has been working well. When she wears a dress or nightgown, she has the pump clipped to biker shorts that she wears underneath. The tubing has never been a issue, which I have to admit, I was originally worried about!

9. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

We like the waist-its from Pumpwearinc, they are soft and comfortable. But, not as easy to get to if you are using a pump without a remote. If you go with a zipper pouch, I'd suggest one with a double zipper. My daughter says they are more comfortable since you can put the zipper closure facing the side where your set is. So if the set is on the left side of the body, you can put the zipper in that direction, less tugging on the tube. Most pumps come with a nylon belt, my daughter didn't care for the feeling of those, nor did she like the buckle (it pinched her once), so she always preferred the soft belts with velcro closure. She also likes the spi-belts and we find that the double one comes in handy for holding some sugar.

Just saw you are pinging, so access to the pump when sleeping is a non issue:)

10. cdninct

cdninct Approved members

My little kid loves his SPIbelt! It is smooth, trim, and does not get caught up in clothing.

11. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Maybe we should get some new ones. Ours (a few years old) never seemed as comfortable on the skin as some of the fabric covered elastic belts. But YDMV :cwds:

12. mamattorney

mamattorney Approved members

My daughter likes her tallygear tummitote 2 (the one without velcro) - it's very inconspicuous, but does take some dexterity to get the pump out of the belt because it's more of an envelope than a pouch.

13. quiltinmom

quiltinmom Approved members

Honestly, I don't think I've bought any pump accessories. I made a little "fanny pack" to put D supplies in for hiking or field trips (from repurposed materials, even), but if you don't sew you might want to buy something like that or find a little backpack. He rarely uses it, though.

He either puts it in his pocket or uses the clip it comes with. For bed he uses the clip, or you can add a pocket to pj pants fairly easily even if you "don't sew" as long as you have, or know someone who has, a machine.

One thing we did have to buy was tapes and wipes for pump sites (like to keep them on). But that's another thread, I think.

I guess our solutions to things might not work as well for you, as she is a girl, and younger (smaller pockets, etc.), but I just wanted to make the point that you don't necessarily need to spend a lot of money on pump stuff.

I might wait a little while, until you've had some experience with living with the pump, so you'll have a better idea what to buy.

Good luck! I hope pumping is great for you. :)

14. susanlindstrom16

susanlindstrom16 Approved members

Thanks so much everyone for all the great suggestions! Seems like we have a lot of options. I'm excited for starting the pump (as is my daughter) but I just have this worry that once we start she is going to find it uncomfortable and not want to wear it. She can be a tad dramatic sometimes :) Do the pouches go under or over clothes? Or just whichever feels best?

15. cdninct

cdninct Approved members

SPIbelts go under.

16. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

Or over. :D Whichever works at the moment. They can help keep shirts down during sit-ups.;)

17. Sarah Maddie's Mom

I'd pick a pouch and invest the $20 bucks just to have something at pump start and to have a benchmark for what was liked and what wasn't.

18. cdninct

cdninct Approved members

True enough!