- advertisement -

Pump sites

Discussion in 'Adults with Type 1' started by Ali, Aug 6, 2007.

1. Ali

Ali Approved members

Hello
    For all you adult type ones who use a pump, I am interested in your experience with sites other than the tummy area. I have been pumping for a bit more than four years and want to give my tummy a rest. I also have been running into many kinked teflon sets lately. I tried the short MM steel set and got poor results, I have also tried my upper "backsid" i.e. rear-end and upper thighs with the steel set and got poor results. Today I switched to the teflon set in my thighs and so far have good results. Questions-steel set experience? I hate the kink sets I get from the teflon. Second, any luck with non tummy areas, or any suggestions for use in the thighs or upper rear end. Thank you in advance for any words of wisdom. Ali, Type one 36 years. I am interested in non tummy areas and steel set advice. Thanks again.

2. Wendy12571

Wendy12571 Approved members

I use my legs, arms, and hips for sites. I hardly ever use my tummy for pump sites. I find the silhoutte sets seem to work better but have used other straight in sets in these areas. I find that I do need to use anti persperant in the summer and need to watch where the underwear get pulled on the legs. If you have anymore questions just post and I will try to answer. I use all areas of the legs and arms.

3. Ali

Ali Approved members

Wendy
    Thak you for your reply. Questions. What is the cannula length on the Sil sets? Do you notice a difference in absorption of insulin in the different sites? Finally, I ran into more muscle and hitting blood vessels in my thighs which messed up both the steel sets and teflon sets. I also could not find much area in the rear end for sets but again did not try the angled ones. I use the 6mm cannulas. Maybe the angled sets might help eliminate the blood vessel and muscle issues. I read that with the angled sets movement could impact the cannula more-it sounds like you do not find that to be a problem? Thanks again. Lisa.

4. Wendy12571

Wendy12571 Approved members

Ali,
    Okay, now they do make a shorter cannula silhoutte. They go in at an angle. My one recommendation with using them is to NOT go in at the 30 degree recommended angle. I generally go in at 10 to 15 degree angle. I have heard it described as landing a plane. I generally dont find any differance in absorbtion based on where the site is. Another think I do not recommend using the sil serter that is a weapon of mass destruction. I know there is a video on insulin-pumpers.org on inserting a silhoutte. I will see if I can find it for you.
    Wendy

5. kel4han

kel4han Approved members

I use my tummy alot too, but it seems tender there since I have alot of stretch marks, we use the quicksets. The love handles work best for me, but I tend to bump those on the walls. I have been wanting to try my saddle bags since I dont really have much body fat except there! Kinda worried about the site being that low. Never used a different set yet, only pumping since June:D