- advertisement -

Pump sites for toddlers

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by MommytoCsquared, Apr 20, 2012.

Tags:
  1. MommytoCsquared

MommytoCsquared Approved members

Hello!

We started pumping about 2 weeks ago. The only place we have put his site is on the upper portion of his bum. He is really of the out of site, out of mind mentality with his site, but I am not wanting to overuse a site location and there is just so much realestate on a skinny three year old's rear.

I am curious where other parents place the sites and how your child handles it in that location?

Thanks!

2. cdninct

cdninct Approved members

My son is also three, and he very much prefers the tush site. Since he also wears his CGM sensor there, though, we have to rotate the insulin pump site elsewhere every three days. We give him the choice of arm, leg, or tummy. He has yet to choose his stomach, he sometimes chooses the back of his arm, but he generally goes with the thigh (we go with the top of his thigh and sort of feel around until we get a softer bit!). I think a lot of doctors, and therefore parents, overestimate the amount of fat a child needs in order to use a site for an infusion set. DS is skinny, and he uses the steel needle-type sets, but we have yet to have a problem anywhere!

3. Lovemyboys

Lovemyboys Approved members

We use the upper buttock and also the thigh. We have to be careful on the thigh when pulling his pants on and off, so sometimes we cover it with a tegaderm.

4. acoppus

acoppus Approved members

We have just started using the backs of the arms. We were strictly using the bottom, but now use the CGM there. We use the Sure Ts and they work well in the arm.

5. MommytoCsquared

Thanks...was thinking about going to the tummy, but I am worried he will play with it if it is easy to reach and see.

For the tush...did how long did you use it exclusively?

For the thigh, how do you handle tubing?

Thanks so much!

6. cdninct

cdninct Approved members

We used the tush exclusively for 7 months. We rotated back and forth, and moved the site around as much as we could, and we did not have a problem with scarring (although using it exclusively forever probably would not be a good thing!).

For the thigh, as long as you remember that the tubing goes inside the underwear/diaper/pull-up (we've run it on the outside by mistake and it just does not work!:eek:), you just run it down the front of the leg. DS has the Sure-Ts, which have an extra sticker part, so we put that on his hip and run the tubing straight down.

As for the tummy, I have no personal experience with that site, but DS has no interest in playing with his site no matter where it is (after a day or two of interest), so I wouldn't be worried about it.

Hope this helps!

7. MommytoCsquared

This answered all my questions! Thanks, it was very helpful to know you stayed on the tush that long with no scarring. That is my worry. We will probably stay there for a while, since this is a newer thing for us and he is tolerating this site well. But I like the thigh thigh...maybe at end of summer :)

8. BaltoMom

BaltoMom Approved members

I have a skinny 4 year old and for nearly a year, we've almost exclusively used his upper buttock for the pump sites without any issue. Once recently we tried the thigh and he wasn't fond of having it put in there - but that was mostly because he could see it. That wasn't a factor I'd even thought of since I always see it! And I made the mistake mentioned by a PP of not running the tubing through his underwear, so he promptly ripped it right out when he went to the bathroom. He felt terrible because he thought he'd done something wrong. I felt doubly terrible because it was my fault AND we had to put the site back in!

9. heypb

heypb Approved members

We also have a skinny four year old, and have been exclusively using the limited real estate around on his upper buttocks for a year and a half with success to this point. We have tried to expand the area to some of the chunkier parts of his hip area but, his bgs were affected so we went back to the area that worked. Other locations probably could work for us too, but we have been reluctant, and haven't really had a need to try them.

So far no scarring. We try to take as much care as possible to stay away from previous recent sites. Essentially, although the real estate is limited, we have been able to rotate between 12 areas, 3 high upper buttock, 3 mid upper buttock x 2 cheeks. That system worked for us so far.

10. SarahKelly

SarahKelly Approved members

Isaac started pumping at 20 months old and we mostly use his bum, but stick a thigh in there every so often. We are careful to move it around a lot and make sure there is at least two finger space length between each old site. For Isaac the worst part has been his sensitivity to adhesives and skin prep solutions, this makes it so that we have to switch from one booty cheek to the other each site change and he uses sure-t's so that's every two days bumping back and forth trying to keep track of where the last site was...but it all works out and he hasn't developed any scar tissue in the two years we've been doing this that either his endo or us parents have found.
    When we do use his thighs I've noticed over the past year that it seems to be more sensitive to when he is being very active (gymnastics or jumping on the trampoline). With the sure-t sets we put the site in this thigh and the sticky part on his belly, making sure it isn't stretched too tight and then we put the pump in a pocket that is sewn into his t-shirt.
    HTH :)

11. MommytoCsquared

Again...thanks. It is even better to hear that some of you have been using the tush for more than a year. I can lay to rest the worry that I am going to permanently damage my kiddo.

I asked him last night if he wanted to try his tummy or leg, and he looked at me as if I was nuts. So the tush it is for a while because if he sees it, we have issues and he becomes scared.

Thanks for all the replies; once again CWD has really helped MY nerves ;)

12. redcurls3

redcurls3 Approved members

We used the rear exclusively for Andy when he was on the pump. He was on it for 9 months before coming off of the insulin. Amazingly, to this day, he still has scars from the insert sites. But he honestly just didn't have a lot of fat anywhere else and he was very busy so "out of site, out of mind" was best for us. I think as they get older other areas may be better.