- advertisement -

Pump selection questions...

Discussion in 'Adults with Type 1' started by GChick, Nov 9, 2013.

Tags:
  1. GChick

GChick Approved members

Hi.

Not "really" a newbie here but I haven't been here for years upon years (new user name and everything).

Anyway, a lil backstory:
    -I have been type 1 for about 31 years (am 34 now).
    -Am female.
    -Have never used a pump.
    -Have no complications that I (or my doctor) know about
    -Have A1Cs which are generally not "horrible" but no longer "good" anymore either. (a little more than a decade ago, when I first switched to Lantus, I had an A1C of 5.9 and for a few years after it never went above 6.1... lets just say it hasn't been anywhere near that low for a number of years.)

I never had ANY interest in the pump until last year when I started to "think" about the possibility of maybe, possibly, one day considering one... but did nothing about it as I guess I just still wasn't quite ready to make the leap.

This year I have decided that I really do ~almost~ want one... but I'm not sure of the ins and outs and would like some input on preferences etc. Would prefer (though not mandatory) input from those who have actually used the devices I'm considering (or have friends/family members that have).

What I'm going to do is list devices with the main "pros" that I know about for "me" (dont think I know enough to list much in the way of a con) that I like about 'em from just the brochures I got from my docs office:

T:slim:
    Cool design with the closest I have seen to being "waterproof" (not really very waterproof, but seems MUCH more "water resistant" on its own than any of the others I will list).

Asante Snap:
    Looks to have the simplest set up and A LOT fewer steps from start to finish to add/prime/whatever insulin etc.

Paradigm "Revel" Minimed: (not really sure how to write the name)
    has the option of the additional continuous blood sugar monitor which will then shut off the insulin delivery when sugars get too low.

Anyone have info/advice/experience on any or all of the above?

Not sure if this is best suited for the "pump" room or not, but figured I might try to get some Adult pumpers opinions on the matter.

Thanks.

2. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

My daughter wears the Revel and likes it a lot. We also have the Omnipod that we bought through Cut-the-Cord for summer with all of its waterplay.

Pumps are very individual things. I don't know whether we'll buy another Medtronic; it will be up to her. I like the idea of the low glucose suspend, but my daughter has worn both MM CGM and Dexcom G4. At this point, she's not willing to go back to the finickiness of the MM. She's actually interested in the Accu-pump pump, as her experience with Accu-chek customer service for her meter has been fabulous.

All of the pump companies offer trials. I would definitely recommend trialing each one. My daughter ruled Animas out because it boluses so fast that she could feel it. She also didn't like the scroll up. The T-slim and Asante weren't out when we were shopping.

There's a lot of discussion on the parent's boards that has lots of info about each pump that you might like to read.

It's rather like car shopping, isn't it? What color do you like? :D

3. GChick

GChick Approved members

Ah yes, The omnipod too. We discussed that at the last visit but my doc said most of her patients didn't stick with that one due to the "tension" of having the whole thing anchored to the skin, so I kinda disregarded it real quick. However with your description, I could see it as a "temporary" solution to certain situations as the cost "seems" to be reasonable to do that (listed something like a start up cost $149.99 after rebate... not exactly sure what that means though) I am currently leaning more towards the t.Slim or the Snap... I don't have a genuinely good reason for not leaning to the Revel though, other than a "feeling".

There's another lil issue with me. My doc is in the USA, but I am not (I see her during my vacation once a year) and as such, I'm not 100% sure how the pump trials would work here... or if they'd even do them here. (long story... I'm from a country with not the best track record of keeping "up with the times" on such things as diabetes care. It has apparently gotten A LOT better in the 13 years or so that I have been seeing a US Endo though.)

As it stands, I'd probably have to get all my "training" and practicing etc. done in a week during vacation to the US, unless I actually switch back to a local doc... which I am considering anyway... but I still don't think they'd offer as much in the way of trials for us lil countries etc (population of less than 400,000).

Also, I don't quite know how insurance will work with me either... that might make it all not possible anyway.

Yip... including cost.

as plain as possible ;)

Thanks for the input

4. GChick

GChick Approved members

Oh yeah... another question I have.

Being a long time pen user and currently always having Lantus "on board" working in the background... as far as basals etc. For something as short as a (long-ish) shower how much would disconnecting from it affect blood sugars (say 20 minutes or so)?

And beyond that, I do Karate 3 days a week for an hour and a half which "can" be quite rigorous at times (and sometimes not so much), would disconnecting for a full hour and a half to an hour and 45 minutes cause any problems (meaning highs) while doing something that "usually" drops your sugar anyway??

While not standard, I have dropped a full 200 points in one class session (its usually just 100 or so though... and sometimes not much at all), I'd think that being able to disconnect would be a plus for those times so that I don't ~always~ have to be over 220 at the start of class just to make sure nothing happens (from lows) like I do now.... but I wouldn't necessarily want to trade being worried about lows to being worried about highs. (note: either way it would be preferable to disconnect entirely with only the lil sticker thing remaining on me as with the movements the device/tubes would definitely get in the way... if not my own movements, possibly others while fighting)

5. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

My son uses Tslim and has been very satisfied, no issues to speak of other than having to discontinue Apidra and going back on Novolog. Very instinctual pump, easy to use, and once you learn the fill process it's really no worse than his previous pump (was on Animas Ping prior).

For football he would fully disconnect for several hours during games with no issue. He'd check and correct (conservatively, knowing a drop was likely with activity) when needed. Being disconnected for 20 minutes is typically not even noticed for him.

One season he kept some lantus in the mix, he'd use 5u of lantus to just be a little background hum for when he was disconnecting a lot. He didn't do that every year and I don't know that it made a huge difference but felt it was worth mentioning as an option.

If you do choose to stay connected during any of your karate activity, definitely invest in a spibelt. Keeps the pump securely attached to you without you even feeling it really.

6. mom24grlz

mom24grlz Approved members

Does the Revel also offer low glucose suspend? I was under the impression that this was a new feature of the 530g also by medtronic.

i thought i heard that asante snap only uses humalog, correct me anyone if i'm wrong. But if you have no issues with humalog guess that wont' be a problem. Not sure if you'd be able to get the prefilled cartridges in insulin other than humalog.

We use the animas ping. We like that it has remote bolusing and is waterproof (though we have never swam in it or taken showers with it on. But Ashleigh did fall in a creek and it survived the dunking) But next time we're going with something with a larger reservoir, the 200 unit animas offers just isn't cutting it.

7. GChick

GChick Approved members

I could very well be mistaken on that bit. I havent read through the brochures in great detail yet, but it was something I *thought* my endo mentioned... but we were going over a few so I may have mixed things up.

i thought i heard that asante snap only uses humalog, correct me anyone if i'm wrong. But if you have no issues with humalog guess that wont' be a problem. [/QUOTE]

Humalog would not be an issue, as that's what I use now anyway.

Yeah, I'm aiming for 300 unit too. ~Should~ be easily able to last a week that way... unless I pig out (which can happen).

Thanks.

8. GChick

GChick Approved members

Ok, next random question:

From start to finish, after sending in both the patient information and Health Information forms. Assuming they do "approve" you for the pump, how long does the process take?

A few weeks? Months? A year? I believe I will have a few extra hurdles to jump than the average anyway (just due to my location vs my doctors location etc... my doc actually says I'm a very good candidate for it though), but just curious if once I start actually doing something about it instead of just the thinking of doing something about it, how long to expect to wait before I'm up and running on my own?

9. Wendy12571

Wendy12571 Approved members

Generally a very fast process. I would say at most a month.
    Wendy

10. mamattorney

mamattorney Approved members

The pump companies are really quick. Our endo's office had more logisitical/time constraint type hoops to jump through. The mandatory pumping class is only held once a month and the pump start appointments only took place one afternoon a week. We ended up hitting the jackpot on the pumping class (it took place two days after I called), but it took 3 weeks from when we received our pump to go live due to an inability to get a pump start appointment.

11. GChick

GChick Approved members

While I'm not in a super-rush, all good to know.

However I'm still not certain how the "training" and "pump start" will work for me though... seeing as I'm in a different country than my doc and have used up all my vacation days for the year (and have pretty much all of my vacation days spoken for for next year too that have nothing to do with seeing my doc)

I was actually planning on making my last appointment at my U.S. endo my truly ~last~ appointment with her and then just getting one in my own country from this point on. But I feel a certain compulsion to stick with my current endo at least until I get all the initial kinks worked out with the pump, seeing as she has been my doc for the last few years and knows how I work.

I think all this is part of the reason I just never bothered even looking into a pump before now (well that... and not wanting to be attached to anything all the time).... but now that I've started truly starting the process, makes me want it all the more now. Ah well.... We shall see. (faxed the forms last night)

12. GChick

GChick Approved members

The race is on!

Asante is the first to make contact (but they were my second choice for pump selection.... but by a very small margin).

Still don't know if/how coverage will work, but yall were right, they are quick to make contact and get the ball rolling.

If I hear from Tandem and Medtronic before the end of the week, I think my head will explode.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    New, new random question: Weight gain?

While I know that either weight loss or weight gain is possible due to switching from MDI to a pump.... which would most think would be more ~likely~?

1.) It's easier to just push a button when you wanna eat something with the pump than with MDI, so eating more may get a lil too easy....
    1.a) Having to take a shot has never stopped me from eating something I wanted anyway... so maybe that wouldnt matter?

2.) Instead of having to eat more to bring up an ~almost~ normal but slightly too low BG, I could just disconnect/reduce the basal for a while to correct

I'd like to THINK it'd be easier to lose weight on the pump at least initially than on MDI... or will the world be my new buffet? hmmmmm

Last edited: Nov 18, 2013
  13. Don

Don Approved members

My pump makes it easier and more comfortable to bolus so I have less discipline when it comes to eating junk or eating too much. I don't blame my pump for this since I would face the same issue if didn't have T1 and my quality of life is much better on pump.

14. GChick

GChick Approved members

Yep. I suspect everyone will be different on that point. I wont know for sure how I'd be until I get started. I tend to let my weight guide me though... As long as my pants fit and I'm not over 150lbs, I tend to not be too bothered about what I eat. Sure I'd love to be back at around 125lbs, but I'm pretty sure that ship has sailed. Anytime I get a lil too close to 150 though, diet goes into overdrive and I can bring *that* weight down without issue... just cant get myself below 140 anymore though. So hopefully a pump either wouldn't make that big of a difference or (possibly) even help.

Sidenote:
    Medtronic was second to try to make contact (by phone... at my work... when I was out to lunch today... would be a long-distance call to call them back, so it's a no-go to find out anything today from them will call from my parents house (who have a VOIP phone) soon).

So I have at least heard from my second and third preference (from what I know about them so far anyway), no word yet from my first choice.

EDIT: The lady from Medtronic called again, like slightly after 5:00pm at work. I was so surprised/caught off guard and really just trying to get a project out before I left work for the day, that I couldn't even remember the questions I wanted to ask etc. I've found that they all like to talk on the phone too much... I'm more of an email kinda girl. That way, if I forget something that you tell me, I can always go back and check and I can word my questions better.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2013
  15. GChick

GChick Approved members

Have I gone about it all wrong?

I sent in the forms on Sunday, but I'm wondering if I've gone about it the right way... or if they are just salesmen being salesmen, 'cus in both instances, I've felt like they thought that they had basically "made a sale" already, when all I really sent in the forms for was to see how much my insurance would pay vs how much I'd have to pay. That's pretty much all I wanted to know from them at this point in time... other than maybe how the whole training situation would work.

Does sending in the "Patient Information" and "Health Information" forms indicate that you are now trying to purchase... or just that you are investigating the option of possibly purchasing (which was what my intension of sending them in was)???

Tandem is the only company that hasn't gotten back to me at this point. Wonder if its because of the whole "Outside the USA" aspect?

16. mamattorney

mamattorney Approved members

On the Tandem issue - that could be. I know that they are only approved in the US, so maybe they "can't" talk to you. I'd call them back and ask.

You didn't do anything wrong, but make sure your endo knows that you haven't made a final selection yet and that YOU will tell them which pump you select.

I don't know if it was a administrative error or what, but Medtronic sent the paperwork to my daughter's endo where, if they had sent it back, a pump would have been ordered for her.

The practice my daughter goes to has a specific policy that they won't fill out any paperwork for a new pump until the patient's family confirms with them personally, so my guess is that these kinds of things happen often enough that they had to put the policy in place.

17. GChick

GChick Approved members

Yes! It was Medtronic which seemed to make the most assumptions...

though I dont even know if I've ever even used a credit card at my Endos office (may have though?) and I never sent in CC info to them, so that might be hard for them to do.

On the Tandem note... while I understand them not wanting to sell me one for that reason, I hope they at least get back to me by some form just so I can officially move on to something else (which might even be a good thing to force me to narrow down my search).

Last edited: Nov 20, 2013
  18. RomeoEcho

RomeoEcho Approved members

Over the years, I have now purchased from Medtronic, Animas and Tandem. They all kind of seem to assume you are going to go with them, but I've never seen anyone place the order without a final confirmation. Even the time it was covered 100% and they didn't need a credit card. They will always call and confirm addresses and color and things like that. They will go ahead and get the paperwork from your doctor so all you have to do is pull the trigger. But I had multiple companies do that step this time around with no trouble.

As for the outside the USA thing, I am a US citizen and "resident" (legally) and have a US based insurance. But I live mostly outside the US. I see my American endo once a year to once every two years. I had no problem with Tandem, having just ordered mine yesterday. They got back to me immediately with answers to questions, and had all the paperwork done in about three days. I am having it shipped to a US address and will pick it up the next time I am available. This did confuse them for the training aspect. I have had problems trying to ship medical equipment internationally before so I didn't even ask if they could.

19. Megnyc

Megnyc Approved members

I personally would not be that comfortable getting the asante snap if I did not live in the US. If you need immediate supplies or replacement it would be difficult to get assistance right away.

Companies like Medtronic have the ability to get you supplies in the vast majority of the world within 48-72 hours. Medtronic was able to get me a loaner pump within 12 hours when I had a potential issue while I was in Israel. I don't believe either Asante or Tandem have that capability.

Just something to keep in mind......

20. GChick

GChick Approved members

Ah ok... while a lil different seeing as I'm not a US citizen at all, my local insurance has Aetna as part of their network (or something or another) so I am able to see docs etc in the US. While I did not give them a US address in any of the forms, I agree that its almost NEVER a good idea to have anyone (you dont personally know) ship you anything internationally... just too many variables. But my sister does live in the US and has a green Card etc and an address which is where I ship most of my stuff to before it ends up coming to me.... so I said all that to say I have a US address that I can use if that is what the problem was.

Yes, I am a lil confused about this myself. While you as an already "experienced" pumper may not need the training, I think I "should" probably get some kinda training being my first go at it and all (though I think with just some guidance I could probably figure it out)... but I'm not sure if I wanna use up vacation days or pay for a trip just for that (wouldn't mind if I ~had~ to though).