- advertisement -

Pump question

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by kledi, Feb 15, 2016.

1. kledi

kledi Approved members

Please help me choose betwen Animas VIbe and Medronic 640g. My son is 3 years old. He was diagnosed 7 months ago(he is on shots Novo rapid and Levemir) . Doctor sugests medronic 640g . We plan on starting cgm too , we have had medronic cgm for 1week and we are very confused what to choose. We live in Finland and the pump is paid by insurance but not cgm(insurance company pays us up to 500 test strips in a month and not the cgm)

2. quiltinmom

quiltinmom Approved members

Have you had a look at either of them? Played with it, pushed buttons, looked through menus, etc? That's the best way to choose. It should be possible to see them before deciding.

Another way is to make a list of what is most important to you in a pump, and go with the one that fits most closely.

Both companies are good, solid companies, but I haven't ever used either pump so I can't speak to those specifically. We used a Medtronic revel for 4 years and we were happy with it and with Medtronic customer service, etc. the 640 is way different from the revel though.

Dexcom cgm sensors last longer than Medtronic sensors (usually) so if I were paying out of pocket, I think I would go with the dexcom. I haven't had any personal experience with medtronic cgm, but I read from a lot of people who said dexcom was better overall. That's my opinion. You can use Medtronic pump with dexcom cgm but you lose the suspend feature.

Both pumps you mentioned are good pumps, you can't really go wrong. Good luck deciding. :). There's nothing wrong with just going with your endo's preference.

3. andiej

andiej Approved members

I know lots of people loving the Medtronic with the SmartGuard. However I believe if you're planning to self fund the Dexcom sensors will work out cheaper with the Vibe as many get much longer than 7 days out of them but that doesn't appear to be the case with Medtronic. Both pumps have a great reputation.