- advertisement -

Pump Question - especially Omnipod users

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by andiej, Mar 10, 2014.

1. andiej

andiej Approved members

Hi we have started the process of getting my son a pump. He particularly wanted the Omnipod. Our DSN has sent us the Omnipod Sample to try on. He won't try it, he is worried the sticky back will hurt when he takes it off. I do find in general he is reluctant to try anything new with regards to diabetes equipment in case it hurts more than something he is already doing, this includes lancing devices, new places to inject etc, it can be highly frustrating.

Any suggestions how i can get him to try it and also any tips to make sure it doesn't hurt when we take it off?

Thanks

Andrea

2. swellman

swellman Approved members

Yea, I don't know ... I asked my son which hurt more, insertion or taking it off and he said insertion. I asked him how to make taking it off hurt less and he said "get over it". He had no idea why I was asking so ...

3. andiej

andiej Approved members

Ok that's good news. I know some parents take it off after a bath or use unisolve. Do you use anything?

4. swellman

Nope, just the band aid technique. I think some people use Unisolve or some other solvent to facilitate removal though.

5. StacyMM

StacyMM Approved members

My daughter uses UniSolve every time. She is very sticky and we can't even pull up edges without it. My son peels his off his stomach with no issue. It just peels right off - and that's with extra adhesive and tape on it and only wearing it 2-3 days. When it's on his arm, we rub some rubbing alcohol on it. He says it catches on the hair on his arms while his belly must be hairless ;) It really does depend on the kid. For us, the trial OmniPod was much less sticky than the real one. It fell off both within a day, I think.

Edited to add: We use these bottles. One has UniSolve in it, one has rubbing alcohol. Just swipe it over the tape, wait a minute, then peel. http://cfnewsads.thomasnet.com/images/large/20010/20010627.jpg

Last edited: Mar 10, 2014
  6. Melissata

Melissata Approved members

We had the exact same experience as Stacy. The trial pod wouldn't stay on, the real pods stick as if they were put on with super glue! We have to saturate first with a liquid adhesive remover, and let it stay while we put the new pod on. Then use another remover pad to gently work at the edges and coax the adhesive off. It really depends on their skin, my daughter has drier skin, and there would be no way to remove it without removing a layer of skin without doing it the way that we do. We also use a silicone barrier product under each pod to keep the skin looking better. We didn't have to do any of this with a regular infusion set, which she will be going back to soon. Much smaller footprint on the body.

7. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

My daughter finds that the longer the pod is on, the less it hurts to remove it. We don't use anything to help.

8. minniem

minniem Approved members

This is the case with my son. We don't use anything, but if for some reason we have to take it off early it is more difficult. We kind of just peel it off starting at the back. Sometimes, he likes to take it off himself. He feels I use the "bandaid" technique and just rip it off to quickly for him. He is more bothered by the insertion than the removal, but even with all of this he says he would not go back to shots. He very much prefers the pump to having to take shots.

9. serge28

serge28 Approved members

We use regular baby oil. You just wait 10 min after applying oil and that helps a lot.
    We usually change pods while our son is sleeping

10. 3kidlets

3kidlets Approved members

My daughter has been using the pod since she was 9. She's now almost 13. In the beginning we did the unisolve or after a bath method. Now she just rips them off. Doesn't seem to really hurt her.

11. missmakaliasmomma

missmakaliasmomma Approved members

The only part to a site that my daughter has an issue with is taking it off. Unisolve didn't do anything. She usually takes it off in the bath.

12. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

My dd has thin arms tso the adhesive kind of wraps around, it can make removal a bit hard for her to do herself.

If it died early we just left it on till she got home so that we could use a remover. Just wet the adhesive and wait, and she could peel off and clean it.

13. Jason's mom

Jason's mom Approved members

We also use baby oil. I just put a little on the top side of the pod and let it run through (behind the pod) until the adhesive is all saturated. I let it sit 10 minutes or so, and it will come right off. I also think that it's been better on Jason's skin than the adhesive remover we were using before.

14. Annapolis Mom

Annapolis Mom Approved members

My daughter uses unisolve. Sometimes she will just get the cannula out and then leave the pod on for days until it is ready to fall off. Getting it off is definitely far worse than insertion for her. Of course, she can't even stand a band aid.

Good luck with moving to a pump. My daughter loves the omnipod and so do I.

15. virgo39

virgo39 Approved members

We have found the newer pods easier to remove than the older, larger ones. When we did trials (with the old pods), mine came off easily in the shower, DD's did not. The baby oil we used did not work either and we wound up pulling it off. She complained about that more than insertion. We began using Uni-solve wipes. We wipe the edges of the pod adhesive before deactivating it; by the time the new pod is in place, it is easy to remove the old one.

The wipes are more expensive than a bottle of Uni-solve, but we find them to be quite convenient.

16. andiej

andiej Approved members

Thank you. I'm hoping we love it as much as you do. He has the test pod on right now, and whilst he found it weird to start with we've had no complaints since. One question he did ask me was if he lay on it, whilst it had the cannula in, would it push it further in and hurt? He really isn't one for pain ha ha.

17. swellman

Tell him to lie on it and see ...

18. Melissata

Melissata Approved members

Since there is no cannula in the sample pods, he won't be able to tell. But the answer is no, the cannula only inserts so far and that is it. My daughter has no trouble sleeping with them on her arms, but on her abs, she is bothered by it during sleep if it is in the wrong place. One thing that we did with the sample pod since it came off way too soon, was to try taping it on different parts of her body so she could see how it felt.

19. ksartain

ksartain Approved members

Chris just muscles through it. Like others have said, the longer it is on, the easier it is to remove. We use baby oil if it's more difficult than usual. If it's near bath time, he takes it off in the shower.

On day three, if he has baseball practice, it often comes off on its own during practice. We had to start taping it to him when he has practice or a game. Last time he had practice, his pod flew right off when he threw the ball. We thought it was funny. The coach was terrified Chris would pass out without it. So now we tape it, you know, to save the coach from having a heart attack. LOL