- advertisement -

Pump priming ?- MiniMed

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by AmyMCGS, Oct 27, 2010.

1. AmyMCGS

AmyMCGS Approved members

OK, after nearly a month of pumping, my husband and I were discussing a few days ago how odd it is that you don't have to "prime" the tube that goes from the pump into the body, but we do prime the tube that goes from the pump outwards. We're using a MiniMed pump with the Sure-T infusion sets.

I know that's not very clear. I'm talking about when we refill the pump with insulin, we push "prime" and wait until we see insulin coming out of the end of the tubing before attaching it to the connector piece... which then connects to another piece of tubing. It's the second piece of tubing that we never push the air out of that is our concern. (Hmmm... I'm not sure that's any more clear!)

So, now that it's in my head, I can't get it out... isn't there a risk of getting an air bubble into the body this way? :confused:

2. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

I'm not sure I know what you mean, but here's what you should be doing with a SureT:

1. Connect short piece of tubing to long piece of tubing.
    2. Prime until you see insulin dripping from end of needle that goes into body.
    3. Insert needle in body.

Otherwise, your child is going to miss an absolute TON of basal if you don't fill the short piece with insulin.

3. jilmarie

jilmarie Approved members

Are you having highs after site changes? You're supposed to connect the "tail" (part with the steel needle) during the prime to fill all of the tubing and the steel needle...

ETA - Sure-Ts do not require a "fixed prime" or "fill cannula" step because there isn't a cannula that needs to be filled after removal of the inserter needle. For Sure-Ts, the cannula is the inserter needle.

4. willie's mom

willie's mom Approved members

When we used Sure-Ts we primed with both pieces put together and primed until we saw insulin drip from the needle. I am not sure if we were correct but that is what we did.:eek:

5. D A Morisse

D A Morisse Approved members

If you are talking about the tail that is attached to the sure T set, you are suppose to connect it to the tubing and prime the whole thing together until you see a drop of insulin come out of the needle, then inset the site.
    If you have been having highs after site changes this would explain it. That little tail holds a fair amount of insulin.
    Darlene

6. AmyMCGS

AmyMCGS Approved members

Thanks, all!! I feel dumb that we didn't figure this out sooner! :eek:

What about when she's out of insulin and we put more insulin into the pump, but it's not the day to change the infusion set? You can only prime the part from the pump to the connector then, right?

Or how about when you aren't changing the part that goes into the body? Like when she's been disconnected for half an hour for a shower?

I am feeling SO dumb. DH and I talked about this and we were both sure the trainer told us to just prime the main piece, not the tail.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2010
  7. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Correct.

We don't do anything to prime then, but if you wanted to, that's right. You just prime the long part.

8. valerie k

valerie k Approved members

we just let matts pump run while he is in the bath or shower. We never suspend the pump. even when he is away from the pump longer, we let it run. So then, he just connects right back up, and the insulin is there.

9. emm142

emm142 Approved members

Yeah, you should definitely be priming the whole length of the tubing, until you see insulin coming out of the needle itself. When refilling insulin but not changing the site, that end bit is already full of insulin, so you don't need to fill it again. Are you having highs after site changes?

10. denise3099

denise3099 Approved members

You are NOT allowed to feel dumb on this forum!!! :D We all do dumb things, because we're tired or misunderstood or misheard or just b/c this is A LOT to deal with. I can't program the VCR--yes I still have a VCR--but they hand me this 6K piece of equipment with all these different attachments and after a couple of hours, I'm supposed to be an expert! :rolleyes:

That's why we come here. I've learned more on this board than from any other source. Even the MM ppl don't know half the stuff I've learned right here. So there are no stupid questions, b/c they very well might have given you the wrong info, and only after a while do you realize it doesn't quite make sense so you come here to get the real info.

11. Mom2Will

Mom2Will Approved members

Just added a little to this because it has worked so well for us!

12. tiffanie1717

tiffanie1717 Approved members

Another sure-T user that connects both pieces to prime. Also, I never suspend the pump either so when the pump is disconnected for a shower it is always primed and ready to go on reconnect.