advertisement

Pump/Pool Issues?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Lori_Gaines, Jul 5, 2014.

1. Lori_Gaines

Lori_Gaines Approved members

Our daughter was in the pool late morning/early afternoon for a little over an hour. As expected, she started to drop afterwards, then had a crazy rebound high that has lasted the entire day. I bolused and bolused, and it would come down a smidge, then right back up. I finally gave up and changed her set/site, which I tried really hard to avoid because I just changed it last night. Is it common for swimming to affect the pump, insulin in the pump, and or the site (and I do not mean adhesive issues). I expected lows, not this!!!! So frustrated.

2. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

It's unlikely it was a rebound high. She probably went high because of the missed basal. We typically have to do a 200% temp basal for an hour (on Animas, I believe that is +100%) and do a straight bolus of a unit or two once he gets out.

3. Lori_Gaines

That's just it though. I never disconnected, so she had no missed basal. I did turn it off briefly though afterwards when her Dex showed her plummeting. But it was less than 30 minutes, and she had already been bolused for lunch.

Good to know how you handle yours!!! I will try a version of that next time. :)

4. funnygrl

funnygrl Approved members

Some people are very sensitive to any missed basal and turning the pump off for a low really doesn't affect the bg for at least an hour. I'm guessing since things improved with the site change the swimming killed the site. What day of the site were you on?

5. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

How low did she go.? How long did she stay there?

We did have a rebound high that I am sure of, but it was before the Dexcom. And it only stopped once I stopped trying to correct and cover.

6. Lori_Gaines

She was in the low 100s and dropping. Turned around quickly which is why I cancelled the Temp basal almost as soon as I started it.

7. Lori_Gaines

Day 1 lol.

About thirty minutes after changing the site last night, she dropped rapidly. And I did not bolus her after changing because she had been given so many corrections over the past several hours already. She only had .25 units on board at that time too. Spent two hours fighting lows, into the fifties.
    And boy was it a fight!!!!