- advertisement -

Pump Packs... Spibelt users

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by nyholli, Sep 12, 2011.

1. nyholli

nyholli Approved members

I see so many of your children use the Spibelt. DD is new to pumping and we only purchased a couple different types of packs. I was looking into the SpiBelt and was wondering if I have to get the diabetic one? What is the difference? WHY do you like the Spibelt vs pump packs??

One last crazy question... My daughter occasionally wears a spandex pump band around her waist to carry the pump. I might be crazy but whenever she wears that band her numbers are higher? I'm probably weird, but it happens alot. She goes on kicks and wears one for a week or two then switches to another.

Thanks for your help.

2. kiwikid

kiwikid Approved members

Rachel prefers a pack that is stationary (fixed) on the belt. We tried the SpiBelts when they were newly released and they are great. The diabetes spibelt has a hole for the tubing, but we just turn the standard pack upside down depending on which side the site is situated, and let the tubing come out the end of the zip.

We have a couple of the Spandex belts, but at present we are preferring Zips to Velcro..

We like trying new things when we find them most of all so we have a HUGE range of pump packs.. :)

3. TheTestingMom

TheTestingMom Approved members

DS uses the double diabetic Spibelt I ended up sewing the holes closes, they got stretched out and he was losing things out of it. Next time I'll get one with no holes :) Other than that he loves it.

4. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

We have different sorts of waist pouches, including the SpiBelt. We find it fits very snuggly and I really like the material (a bit like swimsuit material). We got the kid's SpiBelt. We also have the double SpiBelt but haven't used it yet.

The regular pump packs are also ok. I really like PumpWear Inc.'s double-zipper pouches.

I don't know why the numbers are higher. Maybe the body heat is affecting the insulin, but honestly I doubt it. Who knows?

5. Cdpimpinella

Cdpimpinella Approved members

My daughter has around a million pump pouches...one for each outfit! www.etsy.com/shop/onesweetworldtreats

CDPimpinella
    Mom to DD 6 years old - pumping with pink Animas Ping
    Diagnosed 9-14-10

6. denise3099

denise3099 Approved members

Get the regular, not the diabetes spibelt. If you thread the tubing through the hole then you have to disconnect everytime you want to take it off, which isn't often but still, you don't want your tubing threaded through anywhere and being all hard to get to. You just let the tubing out of the belt through the side of the zipper--there's plenty of room for the tubing even with the zipper all the way closed. this makes it easier to change belts and is just simpler.

7. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

we have a spibelt, she liked it.. but it got pilly fast, didn't look as nice, that spandex materal pulls easily.. we didn't get the diabetic one, we got a regular one and just flip the belt around so the tubing comes out the end of the zipper.. my favorite pump pouches are from pumptastic.. they also have spibelt like ones but different patterns.. the difference between the spibelt and a regular pump pouch is that the spibelts are spendex and are suppose to hold closer to the body, zip in the middle.. the pump pouches generally zip on the top, or velcro, and are usually made from cotton or flannel.

There is also the tummietote by tallygear. Kaylee really likes the idea of this one, but its a real pain to get to the pump in the middle of the night, also, I think because she's short it takes up a lot of waist room, its wider than a regular belt, I think though, as she gets older, she's going to like the tummietote more because it has three pockets and holds close to the body, so she can stick her meter/poker/strips in one, pump in one, and glucose tabs in another, and go out hands free.

8. jules12

jules12 Approved members

I agree - our spibelt did pill more - however, I noticed the kids materials (especially the fun printed ones) are less sturdy than the adult belts.

I would like to find something to help him carry his pump, phone, glucose tabs at minimum and mini meter, strips, and poker without stuffing his pockets or adding a lot of bulk!

For just everyday use, he likes the spibelt the best so far.

9. hrermgr

hrermgr Approved members

We just ordered 2 more Spibelts for T after using the originals for about 2 years. But a 2 years life span for a pump pack is good to me! T had 3 originally -- I threw out 1....the other 2 are back ups. Love Spibelts!

10. lisamustac

lisamustac Approved members

I'm a big spibelt fan we have about 4 we rotate and they still look great after a couple of years. Ds is very active and it holds nice to the body. Doesn't flop around as he runs or plays. We use the kid spibelt regular not the diabetic one.

11. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

My son has 3 spibelts (one plain black, one skulls, one double pouch), all the regular kind, just have the tubing stick out the zipper end.

I love them so much I bought one for myself, as I was forever stealing his when I went on my runs! I got knocked over by dogs not too long ago so decided to start taking my cell phone. :eek: Mine is black with colorful polka dots and I'm pretty fond of it, I use it for my cell at work sometimes (I often wear scrubs, and the pockets are low on the thigh and bug me)

We've not noticed any pilling or really any wear/tear at all, they have been very sturdy and durable, and he uses them a lot, sleeps in them a lot, when he runs, etc. He uses the adult/regular.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2011
  12. lisac

lisac Approved members

I am very interested in this topic as we are looking to get Hadlee a new pump pouch. She has a pumppack from Insulin Pump Fashions. We LOVE it! We've only had it for about 6 months and the corners are starting to wear, but it's the only one she has and wears it literally all day, every day (except for in the bathtub.) We are looking for a new one b/c she is supposed to be getting a Dexcom and I need something to put her pump and Dexcom in for her to wear, and I need it to have a clear section so that I can see the Dexcom screen. I like the tummietotes, but I'm concerned about the shipping costs. Has anyone here ordered one? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!:cwds:

13. piratelight

piratelight Approved members

We love Hunter's SPI belt. It's great for when he is running cross country. Most of the time he takes his pump off for the runs but carries low treatments in the SPI belt. During other things he carries a meter, test strips etc in the SPI Belt. His pump is usually in his pocket.

14. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

We've never got a Spibelt because I like the clear front pump pouches too much. We never take the pump out of the pouch unless we're changing a site.

15. jules12

jules12 Approved members

Agree - when I was doing more things with the pump - the clear front was awesome - now that he is doing more - I let him choose which pump pak and the spibelt wins.

16. ashtensmom

ashtensmom Approved members

LOL, I bought one for myself too to carry my cell phone in while at work. I am paranoid about missing a call from her school so I need to have my cell phone on me at all times, and not just sitting in my purse. My iphone does not always fit in my pockets (not do I always have a pocket). I bought the olive one but haven't got it yet.