- advertisement -

Pump - or not?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Junosmom, Nov 8, 2013.

1. Junosmom

Junosmom Approved members

OP here. Sorry to have disappeared :) Busy Friday and getting ready to go to work today and tomorrow.

I was wondering if I could get a payment plan, sure hope so. It's like buying a used car in cost!

I don't plan to take the "you can't have a CGM" lying down. It, IMO, is technology that is available to help us manage better. He's 11 yo, 5' tall, his daddy is 6'2", so I know that in the next year or so, we are going to see a lot of growth and it is going to be a lot trickier than it is now. Our numbers right now aren't bad at all (honeymoon, no significant growth). But, as I said, I'd like to learn to use equipment before it gets tricky.

So much to learn though! Endo suggesting TSlim, and I'm reading warnings on here about kinked tubes. Son wants tubeless, but not happy that it is rated for one hour in water (he wants to swim longer in the summers), and reading on FB about people having failures with new, smaller pod. He likes that the Ping is good for 24 hours in water, but then back to tubes and "someone will see it" (He's still very sensitive about people "knowing".) I'm hoping the class will help us decided. All in all, I also hear enough of people saying "go pump" and how much better it is.

With all that technology can do these days, it surprises me that the CGM and pump aren't integrated. I know they are working on it, even some "garage inventors". Sent this article to my daughter's informatics major boyfriend: http://www.diabetesmine.com/2013/11/diabetes-data-all-with-a-quick-glance-at-your-wrist.html

Enjoy reading your posts. Even learning the "culture" of diabetes and interested to know that diaversities are "shared" like birthdays.
    Cathy
    William, 11 yo, dx, 09/18/13

2. Melissata

Melissata Approved members

You will not find a pump that doesn't have some issues now and then. People talk more about things that are causing problems for them. That is why my advice is to get it and use it, don't let it sit on a shelf. Each pump has a period of time that you can return it, for whatever reason. My daughter loves her Omnipod, but she wears it on her arm, so people do see it. She has more sensitive skin and finds it harder to wear in areas that don't show.

My son was shy about people knowing or seeing anything when he was first diagnosed. He got over it quickly, with a bit of help and reassurance.

3. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

My daughter wore the Pod this summer through Cut-the-Cord for swimming, boating, etc. We never watched the clock for how long she was in the water, and we never had problems. Even if we had, it would have been simple to put a new pod on. If the Animas gets even a hairline crack in it, you'll have a dead pump with water. There are people here who have been through it. Pump failures are not fun; you either need to replace basal by syringe every couple of hours until the new pump arrives or go back on Lantus - and for most of us, Lantus & pump basal don't match - and then you'll be dealing with the effects of Lantus in his system for a while afterward.

I don't know if Cut-the-Cord is still an option, but we're glad we did it. My daughter started wearing her Medtronic pump again when summer ended, but we both like having both in the event of pump or PDM failures. It's so nice to just pull the other option out of the drawer and put it on.

4. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

I'm not sure what you mean about kinked tubes? The actual site itself is not specific to the pump, so one type of pump wouldn't be more at risk of kinking than any other. You can use any site with any pump (for the most part). So kinking is not pump specific.

Tslim does have issue with occlusions, but only with Apidra.

There are integrated CGM and pumps, and more in the works. Just lots of hoops to jump through. It's definitely the future.

We were able to get a payment plan, I suppose it varies by provider but we had no problem with setting that up with ours (Edwards Healthcare, they have been awesome to work with).

Edited to add: at 11 you need to strongly look at cartridge size. You are locked into this pump for the most part for 4 years, so he'll have it at age 15. At that age with puberty his daily insulin requirements will be very different than what you see today, so make sure you buy a pump that will accomodate his needs at that age.

5. hdm42

hdm42 Approved members

FWIW, we got the Dexcom a year and a half before we started pumping. If I had to choose one, the Dexcom would win hands down. It was a game changer for us.
    That said, my son started pumping with the t:slim in April. It has been great! He likes the touch screen and cool look. We all like the ease of programming and use and the 300 unit reservoir. Teen boys can eat a lot! The larger reservoir was one of the major selling points for us. Tandem's customer service is great too.

6. Megnyc

Megnyc Approved members

Your DME cap may not apply to diabetic supplies. I know we used to have a $1500 DME cap but anything related to diabetes was excluded from that (and we just paid a copay rather than a percent). I would suggest contacting one of the pump companies and having them look into your insurance. It only takes them a day or two to get back to you with an estimated cost and you are under no obligation to go with them.