advertisement

Pump Malfunction

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by Haljov2, Jun 28, 2016.

1. Haljov2

Haljov2 Approved members

We are out of a pump until tomorrow afternoon. How do we compensate for my daughter's basal rates? We use Novolog through the pump, but we also have an unopened bottle of Lantus. I'm not sure how to do the calculations. She will be off the pump for approximately 12-15 hours.

2. quiltinmom

quiltinmom Approved members

You can go about this a few ways. Since it's a relatively short period of time, You can just test and correct every few hours (maybe give a little extra at meals). or you can do a lantus shot. (I cringe a little at losing a whole bottle of lantus just for 12 hours! But that's just me.). If you know the total amount of basal she gets, you can pretty much give the same amount of lantus. Some people will go less, just to be safe, but our cde told us he would actually need more lantus than novolog as basal. Go with your gut feeling on this one. It depends somewhat on how music difference there is between her highest basal rate and her lowest. You can calculate by taking her lowest rate x 24 hrs. to get a good lantus dose. She will probably run a little high still, but it shouldn't be too bad.

Best of luck! I hope the replacement comes quickly. :). Being without a pump is tough.

3. Haljov2

Haljov2 Approved members

I ended up giving her a shot of lantus last night. So far her numbers have been pretty good. Since the shot is equivalent to 24 hours of basal rates, should I wait until the 24 hours is up to attach her pump again?

4. rgcainmd

rgcainmd Approved members

I'd start the pump as soon as you receive it, but I'd go with some significantly decreased (85%-ish) temporary basals for starters with a plan to increase as indicated.

5. sszyszkiewicz

sszyszkiewicz Approved members

We just went through this.

We treated it like a pump start. When the pump came we attached it right away and had a temp basal of 0% until the Lantus was to wear off.

Things the Lantus day were OK, but for about 12 hours after the Lantus was supposedly "done",a nd the pump basals were in control, we were fighting lows. I thought there was some residual lantus in there messing with the numbers, but of course I have no way of knowing.