- advertisement -

Pump Infusion Sets

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Nancy in VA, Aug 9, 2007.

1. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

2. Stacey Nagel

Stacey Nagel Approved members

It depends on what pump you choose. With a MM pump you must use MM sets, although I think that there are some generic sets.. not sure...

My son used quicksets with his Cozmo for 3 years.. then he went to the insets by animas.. He tried the cleo's but was allergic to the tape and they didnt stick to his slimy skin.
    He loves the Insets.. especially the pink ones...

Call the diff companies and ask for samples... try them all..

3. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

with MM you have to use MM sets.. all the other pumps have universal attachments, so they can be crossed..

we have used the MM quickset since the beginning..

4. Mama Belle

Mama Belle Approved members

We use the Cleo 90s and totally love them! Some kids on the thinner side have issues with the Cleo, though.

5. missnme

missnme Approved members

Our CDE also recommended the one with the needle left in (Rapid-D in our case, we are not using Minimed), at least to start with. With all of the other variables in a pump start-up, she likes these to eliminate the chances of a crimped cannula. One less worry when trying to figure out why the numbers are doing whatever they are doing on any given day.

Jessica is still using them almost 2 years later, although we are playing around with others, mostly at my request. We have tried the Cleo's, because of the ease of use and my thoughts that when Jess wants to change her own site, these will be easier than the Rapid-Ds. I am not impressed with the failure rate of the Cleo's, so we are trying the Insets now. We picked up some colored ones from our CDE last week.

All of the ones we are using/trying are straight in, that is what we are comfortable with and they seem to work for her.

Your CDE or endo should have samples of all types of them for you to try.

6. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

Sorry I didn't mention. We are going with the Animas. I liked the "pink" setter last night too - especially after we saw how easy it was compared with the slanted needle. The Animas one though still has the cannula and not leaving the needle in.

We are already dealing with a cannula with the Insuflon and have already dealt with one bent one (thus the 495 reading one night) so I'm pretty quick to identify that but I just wanted other ideas of folks of young ones on pumps (not Minimed)

7. hold48398

hold48398 Approved members

Love, love, loooooove the Insets :)

8. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

When my son returned from camp, he reported that he was the only one who used plain old white sites. He was a little surprised when some boys preferred pink sites.

He loves the Inset sites, but he is 13 and at 6'1" probably about 4 times taller than your toddler.

9. kiwikid

kiwikid Approved members

Rapid D sets - easy as a push pin, easy to disconnect, no kinking ;)

10. khannen

khannen Approved members

We use the Cleos and have since she started pumping in early April. I've read that some people have troubles with them, but they have been fine for us. I love how quick AND easy they are to insert.

11. sammysmom

sammysmom Approved members

My son is the EXACT same way. I liked the cleo's but he had a reaction to the tape on the set. My little guy is very slimey also, we have to use skin tac on every set change or the site will come off in 3 hours! Sammy has recently started liking the pink sets so I put in an order for them....what he does love to do is use a pink set and green tubing, he says "look mom, I'm wearing a strawberry!"

shannon

12. Ivan's Mum

Ivan's Mum Approved members

We could only use the rapid D by Roche due to Ivan having problems with the teflon. They are also cheaper:D which is good when you have to pay for them all yourself. I know that there is another similar to the Rapid D that is push pin ,stainless steel, a littler flasher but the same cost as the others.

Thee's a buffet out there, sample them all!

13. Budapest

Budapest Approved members

We also have an Animas pump for our toddler and use the inset. It is great.

If at all possible, I would recommend for young kids a set that comes with an auto inserter and one without a metal canul.

The auto inserter makes insertion much quicker and easier. While trying to make sure that your toddler doesn't move you don't want to have to pinch, push, worry about the angle, depth etc. With the inset you stretch the device, put it on the skin and squeeze it and you are done.

Although we never used metal canuls, they seem scary especially in toddler that move, crawl all the time.