- advertisement -

pump/gcms sites problems?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by josmom, Mar 24, 2009.

1. josmom

josmom Approved members

I don't know whether to be concerned or not. Am I understanding that most of you don't have sites that look irritated or scar after you pull the set? My dd is looking like a pin cushion. All the tapes I used for the GCMS left her skin irritated so I'm now down to paper tape which doesn't seem to cause a reaction but doesn't hold well. I change infusion sets every 3 days and GCMS every 6 to 7. I wonder if I have a sensitive girl on my hands. Have to be honest, I practically cry just looking at her hips and backside. We tried the stomach again (no body fat) and the infusion set got pulled out twice in a day. Maybe I should try the leg to give the hips a break but I worry about it getting pulled out or too much muscle not enough fat. Geez, do I sound like a worry wort.

2. Darryl

Darryl Approved members

We find that there are red spots that remain visible for a month or so, but we
    have no issues with the tape or skin other than the red dots. I wish there were
    no red dots, but we're OK with it vs. the unseen damage that could be happening
    internally if BG is not well controlled.

What kind of CGM are you using? I have heard that the Dexcom is much easier
    on the skin than the MM that we use.

If the problem is skin irritation, have you tried Bard barrier film wipes?

3. Isabelle's Mom

Isabelle's Mom Approved members

Are you using Emla cream? If so, are you washing and rinsing the area well? That could be very irritating if you don't get it all off.

4. Adinsmom

Adinsmom Approved members

Can you post a pic example? Adin's skin is very sensitive to the tape and weight of the Omnipod. When I do not use a barrier wipe his skin gets very red and irritated. The actual cannula insertion mark usually goes away by the end of the week.

We use neosporin and calendula cream afer we remove the pod.

5. Jacque471

Jacque471 Approved members

Logan has had a problem with dry skin on his behind since before diagnosis. When we remove the CGMS sites we do see a little pink dot where it was, but the one we took off last night was much less pronounced than previous ones. And the previous ones are still there, but seem to be fading. This is our 5th sensor that was inserted last night.

We haven't had a problems with tape reactions thankfully. We used IV3000 samples that were given to us and now use a roll of Opsite Flexifix that we ordered from Amazon.

I do make sure to lotion up his hiney with Aquaphor at some diaper changes for the uncovered side and around the tape as well as slathering it on the site after sensor removal and a bath. We still have dry skin issues, but since they have been around since before we started all of this, I don't see them going away, we just need to do what we can to keep it from "itching" so he doesnt' try to scratch off a sensor or scratch his backside until it bleeds (which he does whenever it is really bothering him)

6. DebbieR

DebbieR Approved members

I have two wearing pumps & cgms. One has no reaction to the tapes, sites or solvents, skin is beautiful. The other does. His worst reaction seemed to be to the Unisolve that we used to remove his sites (we have to use skin tac to keep them on) so I stopped using that and now just use Baby Oil (not very effective). I also have to be very careful to barrier wipe any part of his skin that may come into contact with tape. We are also careful to tape underneath the transmitter to avoid the "burn" mark. When I remember I also use Sween cream under the areas that will be taped (helps prevent itching) and also over any red areas to speed up the healing. Sween really works for us.