- advertisement -

Pump failure- one day after warranty expires

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by emilyandkevsmom, Nov 15, 2011.

1. emilyandkevsmom

emilyandkevsmom Approved members

As I was changing my daughters site this morning I went to prime the pump and noticed the plastic covering the down button has a large crack in it. This pump is less than 6 months old! We have had this problem with the last several pumps, she is a responsible child and does not abuse her pump, I don't get it. I called her endo's office a couple of months ago to see what needs to be done when her warranty runs out and they stated that if I had a problem with her pump before her next visit in January she will just have to go back to mdi. Ugh. just needed to vent....

2. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

That's not right. All your endo's office needs to do is to call in a new prescription. Generally, if you're out of warranty, your insurance will cover it. But there's no reason to wait until January to find out!

3. Ndiggs

Ndiggs Approved members

I would call animus as it is only one day, and if you have had it replaced, I think the replacement pumps are a one year warranty beyond your 4 year one, but don't quote me on that

4. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

Maybe I misunderstood in the craziness of our pump training, but I could have sworn that I was told our pump was warrantied for 4 years...which is the same length of time that our insurance will buy a new one. How is it that your pump only has a 6 month warranty, that just sounds really short to me, I'd call the pump folks directly, not the endo.

5. jcanolson

jcanolson Approved members

Have you talked with Animas? Are you with ETCH in Knoxville? I'm surprised they would tell you that you would have to wait...although they have REALLY had to tighten some things up recently due to insurance and hospital rules. Animas should definitely be able to get the ball rolling, and if you are only a 1 day of warranty, they might just replace it.

BTW...Hi neighbor! We're in Jonesborough also.:D

6. hawkeyegirl

Typically when you have an in-warranty pump replaced, the company only warranties it for the remaining length of your original warranty. So if she only had 6 months left on her original warranty, that's the warranty that the replacement pump would have.

7. Ndiggs

Ndiggs Approved members

When I last talked to someone at Animus, I thought they told me it was the remainder of the original warranty or one year which ever was longer as to prevent getting a bad replacement at the end of warranty. May have changed though, or the rep could have been wrong, it happens from time to time

8. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

There is no reason to wait. We have ordered two pumps just by calling endo and they get the paperwork going. Also, if you know what pump you want find out your rep for your area and they can help with getting paperwork started. Also ,our reps always have backups if pumps we could borrow if you had a problem before the new one got here.

9. Connie(BC)Type 1

Connie(BC)Type 1 Approved members

My endo orders by email, haven't seen her in more then 2 years(I do have lab work constantly for her to check)

10. hawkeyegirl

It may well be that way for Animas.

11. CAGrandma

CAGrandma Approved members

Reputable companies often honor warranties that have expired, particularly when it is a very short time after the warranty ends. I urge you to call Animas directly as soon as possible (not the endo, you already have a prescription and don't need another). The very worst thing that happens is that you don't get a new pump. You might want to mention when you call that fellow pump users on the CWD forum suggested that you call, that it isn't right for a pump to fail that quickly. Good public relations is priceless, and Animas is a good company.

12. hawkeyegirl

I wanted to add that MM will give you a "loaner" pump to use if your out of warranty pump dies, while you're waiting for insurance to process the new pump. I suspect that Animas would do the same.

13. Lee

Lee Approved members

This this this!

They should replace it.

14. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

And with how Animas/J&J lurks on this site, I bet they are waiting for your call;)

15. emilyandkevsmom

well I called Animas, they stated her warranty actually ran out the end of September. I must have been thinking about her pump start date. They would not replace this pump but wanted me to speak with a sales person about getting an "upgraded pump" (ping I suppose) I told them no thank after the number of pumps she has been through with this same problem. I did call a Medtronic rep and I am going to try to get this started on my own. Her endo's office has not been very supportive and has cut her prescriptions on her insulin, test strips etc. I don't have a choice right now, they are over a hundred miles away. Her pump is working for now. I am at least going to try to get her endo to call in a script for an insulin pen just in case but they probably won't even do that.

16. emilyandkevsmom

I had called them to ask about switching to another pump company and they told me I wld have to wait until January. I have dealt with Animas directly about all the defective pumps.

17. hawkeyegirl

That is COMPLETELY unacceptable. Would your pediatrician call in the prescription for you? I think ours would in this situation.

18. emilyandkevsmom

good idea, I didn't think of this, she may. I am also going to talk to minimed about a loaner when they get back to me. I appreciate all the suggestions. My daughter is just getting used to wearing a scoliosis brace plus they are testing her for arthristis, she has been in a lot of pain lately so I would hate for her to start taking shots again on top of all of this. I just don't think any kid should have to if they chose when the technology exists.

19. thebestnest5

thebestnest5 Approved members

I was just going to suggest asking the pediatrician. We have gone that route before. We have had 2 pediatricians in different states that were very supportive with diabetes care.

20. emilyandkevsmom

update

Well my local Animas rep called me out of the blue this evening. I was dead set against staying with Animas but I really don't want her to be without a pump very long. They are sending a loaner pump and will work with the endo office about going ahead with the upgrade. Hopefully we won't have the button wearing out issue with the ping since she won't have to push them as much. I didn't hear back from medtronic so I just stuck with what we know.