- advertisement -

Pump Decision

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by momof3sons, Jul 26, 2016.

1. momof3sons

momof3sons Approved members

I always hate those questions about which pump is the best, but I wanted to put a few specific questions out there.

I have a 17 year old who wears a Dexcom G5 and an Animas Ping. Our warranty expires in three days.

We love our G5 and we like Animas fine. We know T-Slim and Omnipod would not be choices he wants.

G5 pros: everything, easy share on iPhones Cons: not much other than we can't keep sensors on for 7 days all the time

Animas pros: waterproof/strongly water resistant, tough and stands up to being worn during muddy wet football games Cons: 200 unit cartridge

I talked to Medtronic about the 5306 with Enlight. I like the 300 unit cartridge and the automatic 2 hour suspension for severe low. I worry that it won't stand up to a wet muddy football game. I also worry about the Enlight being as accurate and feature rich as the Dexcom.

Any experts out there who can give me some advice?

2. rgcainmd

rgcainmd Approved members

This is coming from the mother of a Type 1 daughter who uses the OmniPod pump + Dexcom G5, and who has never used any CGM system except for Dexcom, so take this advice with as large a grain of salt as is appropriate:

I'd avoid the Enlite (or any Medtronic CGM for that matter) like the Black Death. There's a reason the overwhelmingly vast majority of CGM-utilizing Type 1 PWD's (children and adults alike), along with physicians who themselves have T1D, are Dexcom devotees. And it's not just because Dexcom ads are so much more visually appealing.

And, truly no offense intended, are you certain your 17-year-old has [recently] ruled out the particular pumps you mentioned? Or might you be exerting some well-meaning pressure one way or the other? At 17, I will insist that my daughter re-read the (no doubt by then updated) as-unbiased-as-they-get Gary Scheiner pump comparison page and encourage her to try loaner pumps provided by her diabetes center before making her own choice. I may be paying for her pump, but she's the one who wears it 24/7. Wishing you the best of luck!

3. Megnyc

Megnyc Approved members

How much insulin does he use per day? If it is more than 60 units I would eliminate the animas and omnipod. Keep in mind you can get a medtronic pump without the CGM if you insist on it. If he is using more than 100 units a day you could also look at the tflex which is basically a fatter tslim that holds 480 units. Why did you eliminate the tslim? It is tougher than it looks and offers the largest cartridge options.

4. sarahspins

sarahspins Approved members

This used to be true, but it no longer is... it's all or nothing with MM now. Granted you certainly don't have to use the Enlite system if you don't want to, but you can't get the pump without it any more.

5. mamattorney

mamattorney Approved members

Personally, with the way Dexcom advances its technology, I would be leary to buy any pump with an integrated cgm (unless the cgm was part of a closed loop system of course). You can upgrade your dexom annually - your pump is your pump for 4-5 years.

Of course with t:slim's recently approved remote updating tool, maybe that will change -- at least for t:slim.

EDIT: I guess other pumps offer upgrade programs. T:slim never has.

6. Megnyc

Megnyc Approved members

Really? That's crazy. I thought they were letting adults get a revel if they really insisted. I know someone who uses a dexcom who got a new minimed pump a few months ago. That's a ridiculous move on medtronic's part.

7. momof3sons

Great relationship with my son, actually all 3. No help needed there.

I appreciate the input and will look for the comparison chart.

8. momof3sons

. Cartridge size is an issue, but T Slim seems too fragile and sensitive to water exposure. I'll take a closer link though. Thanks!

9. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

Why do you think the t:slim is fragile and sensitive to water. It's certified under water for 30 minutes and ours has been bumped around and thrown on the floor, etc, with no problem.

10. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Totally agree.

Our t:slim has been completely submerged in water (with the charging port cap open) and it was fine. Jack played at least two seasons of tackle football wearing it too. (He played two seasons wearing a MM pump as well.) In our experience, both the MM and t:slim pumps are very, very durable.

I'm not sure why you ruled the t:slim out, but if it's because you think it's fragile, that's just simply not our experience.

11. sarahspins

sarahspins Approved members

If anything the t:slim is probably more durable than the others.. the back case is metal, all of the other pumps are plastic. As far as waterproofness goes, none of them "really" are and I wouldn't trust any for swimming. Accidental submersion, sure, but I wouldn't go to a water park or the beach and expect everything to be 100% fine at the end of the day.

The said, I kayak with mine, and while I "usually" don't get wet, I also don't really worry about it if it happens... if it stopped working, that's what warranties are for :)

12. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

My 19 year old son just got a new Animas Vibe. He had been on Animas Ping since about 2009. We had already switched to G5 before we got the new Vibe pump. We got the Vibe instead the of the Ping because he had not used the remote in a number of years. The Vibe gave us the up arrow that defaults the bolus amount in. He says he likes that feature. It also has back arrows. He did not want to switch to a different brand of pump. We had a three day loaner of the T:Slim. He did not care to switch. Cartridge size has never been a problem for us. We don't fill up the cartridge . He puts in about 160 units in but always has 20 or 30 units after 3 days. My other son has used the Enlite because we got the new Medtronic pump a few years ago. We switched back to Dexcom because the sensor did not seem as accurate , less days we could get out of it , and the Share feature of the Dexcom made it worth it to us.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2016
  13. mamattorney

mamattorney Approved members

I don't know if you made a decision yet, but if you are going to give t:slim another look, please know that they just announced yesterday that they will be releasing a new pump during the 4th quarter of this year that will have 2 way bluetooth capabilities (your purchase after July 1 would entitle your son to a free upgrade). They will be making an FDA submission that they hope will be approved by mid 2017 which will allow you to view t:slim/insulin and Dexcom G5/6 data on your pump, your phone or both. You would get the new pump - called the x2 in late 2016 and then, when the feature is approved by the FDA, you will be able to upgrade your pump software at no cost via the newly approved pc/mac uploader tool.

They also noted that this x2 pump is going to be the platform for at least the next two big advances in tandem pumps - a predictive low glucose suspend (thinking late 2017 launch) and a "treat to target" AP project (collaboration with Type Zero, which uses the University of VA insulin only closed loop algorithm) with hopeful release in 2018. I don't know if these additional features/software upgrades will have a cost, but the hardware will stay the same - like how you can just upgrade your cell phone software and take advantage of new features.

I think this is very forward thinking and if there is a cost associated with the upgrades, I'm hopeful they will be low, since their manufacturing costs should stay lower.

Anyway, just wanted to give you all the info.

As a person whose teenage daughter has had a t:slim since 2013, I can tell you that we have never found it fragile either, and it has survived being dropped and smashed into by volleyballs (and people when there are collisions), but I can't speak from any kind of high contact sports experience. She has accidentally jumped into the pool with it on, and it was fine, but she's never purposefully worn it under water - it's been splashed and rained on plenty though.

14. 22jules

22jules Approved members

My daughter just got a brand new Medtronic Revel pump this week since we were out of warranty and very happy Dexcom G5 users. We did not have any trouble doing so.

15. scarral

scarral Approved members

Would you please elaborate on why the Enlite is soooo bad? We've used it for 6 months with no issues. We've never used Dexcom, so I can't compare.

16. quiltinmom

quiltinmom Approved members

We have not used enlite, only dexcom. I don't think it's that enlite is bad, just that dexcom is better for some people. If it was really awful nobody would be using it.

We picked dexcom for the longer sensor life (we commonly get 3 weeks per sensor), and nearly every online review from people who had used both said dexcom cgm was better and more accurate than Medtronic. At the time, Medtronic had no sharing capability, which I really wanted. Some people said enites would sometimes have connectivity problems with the pump even if they were wearing the pump; a few people said they had to be sure to wear the pump and sensor on the same side of the body. I've heard dexcom sensors hurt less, but that's not something I can speak to personally. Those were some of our reasons for picking dexcom.

The enlite cgm has its advantages too. :). There are plenty of people who use it and like it. Not everyone has problems with the Medtronic sensor.

17. momof3sons

Valuable information! We just ordered T-Slim.

Thanks