- advertisement -

Pump day is Monday....eeek

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Mymommymommy, Sep 19, 2009.

1. Mymommymommy

Mymommymommy Approved members

We got Presley's new one touch ping in PINK in the mail today. It was emotional for me, i didn't cry.. because she was watching me. I smiled and was excited for her. But on the inside.... i feel numb. I'm not excited, i'm not scared, i'm totally numb. I think i'm SO scared and SO stressed, I can't even feel it. Or maybe.. i still don't believe it.

Presley is so amazing, her strength is inspiring to me. I look at this three year old girl, with big brown eyes a bright smile living with diabetes for more than half of her small little life so far, and she couldn't seem bothered. She's only said two things of concern when it comes to the pump....

1. "will it make me bweed mommy??"
    and
    2. " it hurt me mommy?"

But I have so many questions and worries in my mind i can hardly gather them all. I can barley sort them out. For example.. she's starting gymnastics on Monday (she'll probably be missing that one) and I think
    "where is the pump going to go? do i take it off? i'm not sure how to do what needs to be done to remove and put on.... do i have a pocket put in her gymnastics outfits? if so where" I'm worrying about things.. that I don't NEED to worry about. I'm frustrated at other people reaction to the pump.. i'm tired of "oh well that's great!! so she won't be getting pricked anymore!!" or "well that will just make it so much easier!" I dunno.... I know a lot of pumpers say it IS easier.. "it's freeing".. i think I've heard somebody say before, but to me... somebody who isn't familiar with the pump and who still gets invaded by negative thought when it come to diabetes I think... "YES.. she will get pricked.. every time we check her BG and every time we change the infusion site... and NO it's not "EASIER" we still have to check her BG, we still have to count carbs we still need to calculate how much insulin to give for the carbs, and she will be attached to this device EVERYDAY.. for the rest of her life.. how is that easy? I'm not looking for easier i'm looking for better control, a tighter control.. not easier, to me there is NOTHING easy about diabetes"

I'm emotional, with the pump starting, and the unknowing down the road. I'm angry ONCE again at the lack of response I've received over our walk. It's SO INCREDIBLY frustrating to live with this and have people dismiss it like it's no big deal. I'm really, increasingly tired of that.

2. Gracie'sMom

Gracie'sMom Approved members

We were very nervous and our daughter was 8 when we started, so I can imagine at 3 . . . very normal! Honestly, the pump is more difficult for about 2 weeks, then it gets easier in the terms of her life being more uninterrupted and normal. No more snacking at a set time, she can have bread at a restaurant before the food comes like everyone else, things like that are so much easier. But, there is a learning curve. Are they starting you on saline first? That gave us a week to get comfortable without the fear. We were so worried about where the pump would go when she sleeps and it has been a total non-issue. She has it next to her in bed, she knows where it is, it's only come disconnected at night once. She has a pink ping also and we use the clip it comes with, also a screen protector and a skin (buy on the animascorp website) which makes it more rugged, less bulky, and very cute and girly. You can also buy cute belts with cloth cases on the belts online when you're ready. It will be great, but your nerves are normal. It is a lot to learn. You'll be fine! And, it's not the rest of her life, she may decide she wants to do shots again someday or hopefully they'll cure it:) But, yes, it's still a lot of work. It is good that you know that. Just try to not stress about the extra work the first two weeks, after about a month I was able to change the site in a restaurant bathroom in less than 3 minutes. Plus, it's pink, and the sites are pink -- she'll love that. Good luck!

3. RosemaryCinNJ

RosemaryCinNJ Approved members

Have no advice..still on MDI here...but wanted to say the best of luck and if we do get on a pump being our kids are around the same age..I will welcome your feedback when my time comes ok? :) Good luck xoxoox

4. 4.my.son

4.my.son Approved members

my son

started his pump yesterday.... sept 18th 2009. when I gave him his first bolus with it he just smiled because it is set on vibrate and he said what is going on ? I said thats your shot now ... he laughed and said cool that was awsome .... He loves the pump . I love him . he named it the blue crabby... we are so happy ...so far all is well .. life is good .:D

5. joy orz

joy orz Approved members

Hi Gretchen. I felt exactly the same way you felt going to the pump. It is a HUGE deal, no one will get it but other families with CWD. Even though Ava has been on the pump for about a year now, my mother STILL doesn't understand why I have to check her BG overnight. :rolleyes: So, I find it easier to just accept that the Big D is something you only understand if you live it day to day.

As for the pump start, Ava was two when she started. She is a VERY bouncy kid who is rough and tumble. Our first week, we did a saline trial because I wanted her to be able to romp and play as hard as she could. I didn't set any restrictions because I figured if it wasn't a good match, now would be the time to learn.

She does yoga, tumbling, and will start ballet and karate soon. She also swims and we never disconnect. I know some kids do, and I'm not sure what the best thing would be for gymnastics.

I put it inside a soft, neoprene pouch
    http://www.caselogic.com/search/ind...astterm=unz-2+and+unzt-2&Ntt=unz-2+and+unzt-2

This pouch has lots of squish to it, and it protects the pump and the kiddo from bumps. Ava wears it on the side like a gun holster, so it lays flat against her hip. She can do somersaults, lay flat on her tummy, and bounce on her bottom on the trampoline without the pump getting in the way. I sewed a belt loop to it, she wears a velco belt to keep it on, and then tuck it into her stretch pants.

To be honest, with a flouncy shirt, most people have no idea it's there.

To answer your daughters questions, it might help if you put a set on yourself, so you can feel confident in the answer. I'm a straight shooter. The set does hurt going in, but so do shots. So when Ava tells me during set changes that it's going to hurt, I say "Yes, but it's better than 5 owies a day. That always does the trick.

Hang in there. It's not easy the first few weeks, but it does get much easier with time.

Congrats!

6. Seans Mom

Seans Mom Approved members

I know those feelings. Sean had just turned 4 when he started pumping and as much as I wanted to switch to the pump and get him off MDI it was bittersweet seeing a pump attached to his little body all the time. Fortunately it didn't last long. While he doesn't like site changes, he didnt like shots either and him being able to eat like a 4 yr. old instead of telling me he was hungry and then saying nevermind when what he wanted had carbs and meant another shot was a biggie to me.
    The comments that rolled my eyes the most were ones like "oh good he can come stay the day with us now that the pump will do it all for him" :rolleyes:
    Yeah he still doesn't get to "stay" anywhere without us.
    I can't help with advice about gymnastics but I'm sure you'll figure out the best way to accomodate it soon enough.
    I hope you have a good start and end up loving the pump as much as we do. It's work for us but does make it easier for our children. :)

7. Toni

Toni Banned

You can do this! If I can do a site change, you can do it. :p I am a big wimp. First try to run to the drug store and get LMX 4 or LMX 5 to numb the site. It is over the counter. Unless you already have a prescription for EMLA. EMLA, you leave on one hour so she's nice and numb, cover EMLA with IV3000 dressing or even self stick saran wrap, wipe off well before you put in the set. She won't feel much so that will take care of the first question. Bleeding, you probably won't see much. I have occasionally seen some blood in the canula (my fault, usually). Pump has usually worked well anyway. Gymnastics, well, we disconnect for most sports. Don't suspend the pump; don't think that's a good idea. Make sure blood sugar is at a certain level before the class (for us it's 180). Check BS every hour or so. I'm assuming this is a short class of an hour or so? Presley will be so happy not to have to have a shot every time she eats. Pump start is harder for you, though; kind of like learning a lot of things all over again. You will do wonderfully, just as you have in the past.

8. kyles_mom

kyles_mom Approved members

I know it seems overwhelming right now, but trust me in this. When we were first researching pumps people were telling me it changes your (and your childs) life. IT DOES. We have been on the pump since April and it's been a godsend. You don't have to draw up insulin into a needle or pen. If your child wants 2nds for dinner it's not another shot.. you can easily prebolus and then add more if need be. They can graze at parties. They can sleep in. I find it much easier to teach family members to care for him esp since he's become such a wiz with his pump. I feel so old saying this, but we all know how technologically savvy the kids are today : ) Yes the comments from ppl unfamiliar still bother me. I find myself explaining over and over that he's not permanently hooked up to some evil contraption lol

To give you a little more perspective...Kyle's pump broke on Sat nite and we had to go back to MDI. We miss it and can't wait until the new one arrives Tuesday.