advertisement

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pump comparison thread

Discussion in 'Teens' started by Daxdog, Feb 2, 2009.

1. Daxdog

Daxdog Approved members

I am sick and tired of posting the pros and cons of the pumps a gazillion times anyone asks. :rolleyes: Aren't you? So I thought I would post all of the things I think are pros and cons to each pump, plus some from other threads. Feel free to add anything you want, or to ask a question. Facts, opinions, questions, and experiences are appreciated(Parents too!). (This should be the last time you have to post it anyway.)

MM

Pros:
    -CGMS capability
    -bolus wizard
    -slow delivery so you can cancel a bolus
    -300 unit cartridge
    -adjust temp basal in percents
    -customer service is amazing!
    -"link" meter
    -Carelink and Paradigm Pal systems
    -size and shape
    -Waterproof
    -Bolus wizard
    -24 hour help line
    -Replacement pump will be shipped overnight if yours breaks

Cons:
    -I don't usually hear the alarms at night
    -basal of .025 would be nice
    -bolus of .05 would be nice
    -ability to set Active Insulin in 1/2 hour increments
    -If you don't finish priming while changing your site, it just sits on that screen and you don’t get any insulin till you realize what has happened
    -slow delivery

Animas

Pros:
    -remote blousing
    -Replacement pump will be shipped overnight if yours breaks
    -waterproof
    -ezbolus button
    -you can choose to bolus slowly or normally
    - compatible with any luer lock site
    -smallest basal increment (.25/hr)
    -detailed history
    -customizable food database and “ringtones”
    -bolus of .05
    -lots of color choices

Cons:
    -meter is slow as tar
    -can only do 1 combo bolus at a time
    -200 u cartridge MAX
    -not available in Canada
    -the software to plug into the computer sucks

OmniPod

Pros:
    - Tubeless
    -The wireless PDM (you check your BG and bolus from it).
    -The easy Pod changes/insertions. Just fill the Pod, put it on, and push 'Next'...it does the work for you. I have been pumping for just over a month, and do my Pod changes in less than 10 minutes already.
    -Great service...they are quick to send replacement PDMs and new Pods if things fail
    -Waterproof

Cons:
    -You can’t tell if you have bubbles
    -no vibrate feature
    -pods are big
    -not available in most countries
    -no IOB for food insulin-only corrections

The Deltec Cozmo is no longer available.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2010
  2. LadyBug

LadyBug Approved members

3. Mody_Jess_Pony

Mody_Jess_Pony Approved members

NOTE you should remember that Animas ping is NOT avaliable in canada :) along with the Omni pod so the pros and cons list is slight diff.
    I'll post some links when I gets home :)

4. emm142

emm142 Approved members

This chart is really good for pump comparisons.

5. Daxdog

Daxdog Approved members

That is a good resource, but not all of the information is correct.

6. emm142

emm142 Approved members

That sucks.. Only two pumps were available to me anyway (MM and spirit) but I kinda assumed the information was correct.

7. MissEmi

MissEmi Approved members

NOTE: Minimed now makes a pink pump :D YAY!

8. here you are again

here you are again Approved members

does the bolus wizard in the mm do the same thing as the ez bolus in the animas?

9. Daxdog

Daxdog Approved members

Yes it does.

10. here you are again

here you are again Approved members

i think this is true for the animas, but i'm positive it's true for the mm-
    with the mm, your insulin is delivered slowly - like 30 seconds per unit, i'd say. and that means if you find out you've accidentally done too much, or if you've layed on your pump and accidentally pressed buttons and given yourself insulin, you can stop it. while with the animas, it's like 1 second per unit. (again, i'm not 100% sure that that's the animas, but i'm pretty sure)

however, i guess slow delivery with the mm can be a con too because if you're gonna take a shower or go swimming right after you eat and bolus, you have to wait longer so that you can make sure you get everything.

11. MissEmi

MissEmi Approved members

If you want exact on MM it's 4 sec per .1 unit in a bolus. I like it because almost every time I do a dual wave I press act too fast and only do it over 30 min instead of longer, so I can usually stop it after only .1-.2u.

12. Danielle2008

Danielle2008 Approved members

How do you stop a bolus once it is going?

I have tried a few times(...uh, just to try it), but it doesn't stop. The screen goes away, however, it is definitely still giving insulin?

13. emm142

emm142 Approved members

If I click ACT whilst bolusing, it takes me straight to the option of "suspend". Clicking that stops the bolus.

14. raniamom2DDL

raniamom2DDL Approved members

We currently have a MM and it is NOT waterproof. you may want to revise that

15. kierbabi09

kierbabi09 Approved members

Minimed is water resistent NOT water proof.

16. Daxdog

Daxdog Approved members

With the Animas you can choose to have it delivered slowly or normally.

17. Danielle2008

Danielle2008 Approved members

Actually, it is waterproof, just like Animas and Cozmo(same standard and everything). However, because they can't guarantee against cracks(which voids out the water proof protection on both Animas and Cozmo), they stopped listing them as water proof.

18. Daxdog

Daxdog Approved members

Danielle is right. Here is the link to what Minimed said: http://www.minimed.com/products/insulinpumps/watertight.html

The Truth About Watertight

In the summer of 2003, Medtronic Diabetes removed its watertight claim from the labeling for its MiniMed Paradigm? insulin pumps, as a result of a number of units that had experienced water penetration through cracks in the insulin pump case. While insulin pumps are designed and manufactured to be quite sturdy, they are not bullet proof, and cracking is possible. Because we cannot prevent cracking with absolute certainty, we continue to label our product as water resistant, not waterproof/watertight, and recommend that insulin pump users do not intentionally submerge their insulin pump in water. We believe that our position is the most responsible one to take and creates the appropriate level of awareness for our customers. At the same time, should our customers experience water ingress for any reason, we will replace the insulin pump according to our normal warranty policy.

Other insulin pump companies claim watertight status in their advertising materials, but warn of the same potential for cracking and water ingress in separate documents. The attached excerpt is from Animas' recent summer 2004 customer newsletter:

"Check the pump case for cracks. If the pump has been dropped or knocked against a hard surface, it is possible the case may have cracked. If you see a crack in the case, do not put the pump in water."

Similarly, the following is from Smith's Deltec User's Manual (p. 73):

"As long as the pump's labels and outer shell are intact (no cracks or chips), the pump is watertight.."

Ultimately, there are many things to consider in choosing an insulin pump company - technology, service, support, experience, and track record, as well as vision and commitment to the future. As the world leader in insulin pump therapy, we at Medtronic Diabetes continue to set the standard in these areas with our MiniMed Paradigm insulin pumps.

19. kierbabi09

kierbabi09 Approved members

Oops. Thanks for the correction Danielle:)

20. Daxdog

Daxdog Approved members

They are listed as water resistant or splash proof.