- advertisement -

Puberty--what should I expect??

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by NicolesMom, Mar 29, 2011.

1. NicolesMom

NicolesMom Approved members

Nicole is 11...diagnosed T1 on February 1st of this year. We know she is in her honeymoon...but any thoughts from all you parents of teen girls on what to expect as she progresses further into puberty? :eek:

Did you notice any major changes in insulin requirements when they started their periods? Know this is coming before too long...trying to be prepared!! ;)

2. Lize

Lize Approved members

Hi there!

My DD is 11 and definitely into puberty. We are struggeling a bit now with lots of higs in the early morning hours (3 - 8 am), as well as breakfast spikes. Her insulin need have doubled in this past year.

3. czardoust

czardoust Approved members

Kat has entered puberty. Her insulin requirements have greatly increased. Insulin resistance is a fight.

4. fredntan2

fredntan2 Approved members

Her attitude. Winning the battle against diabetes , you have to have a good attitude.you have to be better than the rest. Being a teenager these days us tough.

Don't be afraid to use a little therapy if her attitude gets to bad. My dd just finished with some therapy.her attitude is so much better.

And have you read -a guide to parents written by teenager with diabetes. i think its now a sticky up there. Good stuff.
    I just went up and reread it. These are the rules I live by.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2011
  5. PatriciaMidwest

PatriciaMidwest Approved members

Her insulin needs will increase a lot, as others have said. You will probably have nights where she spikes up randomly into the 300's without warning.

The increased insulin comes a LONG time before their first P. Everyone's timing is a little different, but you could start to see this very soon. This year is much easier for us hormone wise, although we have other challenges like grazing, LOL.

If you can swing it - a cgms will help greatly.

6. maddiesdad

maddiesdad Approved members

Our experience...

The first thing I'd say is expect to lose sleep!

:)

My daughter is 14 and there is a very predictable pattern for her:

1) Leading up to the period ( 3-4 days prior ), her insulin needs plummet. I'd say she needs 40% less. I have a basal set up for this.
    2) During her period, her insulin needs go up, maybe by 25% -- again, I have a basal for this.

When we combine heavy activity during the day with the time she's in her period, we have to be very, very careful with corrections -- more so than during her normal days. I've seen her spiked up to 350 and then have 1 unit take her down to 60 within an hour.

For our management of Maddie, right now, periods are the worst. While I have basals set up, she is so active with sports, we swing high and low.

The bottom line is your mileage may vary but the periods make it very difficult to anticipate insulin needs and insulin "action."

7. Thoover

Thoover Approved members

While my daughter is 12 1/2 hers hasn't started but we are chasing the monthly pattern. Its is a PIA. I haven't had so many bad numbers in 2 months in our 4 years of diagnosis. Just keep track and figure out when it will come and you shouldn't have a problem. Its just catching the pattern.. :eek:

I posted about this very same thing a few days ago.. It has me racking my brain, I finally gave up and we are seeing the endo Tomorrow. ;)

8. Lee

Lee Approved members

What can you expect? He!!

Plain and simlpe he!!.

Hopefully puberty won't coincide with the end of the honeymoon - because that would be massive he!!.

What we see is 3 days of extreme highs during ovulation - we have to do about a 20% basal increase across the board.

The, 4 days before the grand event, highs again. Then, the day after it starts, she drops way low. We use another pattern for that as well.

We saw a similar pattern in bs for about a year before the actual start. But two months before - our 200's turned into 500's and our 60's turned into 30's...

9. Catiesmom

Catiesmom Approved members

Catie is 10.5 and is having a growth spurt monthly with matching crazy high numbers. she's grown 3.5 inches since September, busted out of all her clothes and shoes. This monthly trend and these posts have me seeing the monthly cycle setting up.

The attitude and mouth have been going on for a while :)

Catie age 10.5 dx 6/19/09 pumping animas Ping in pink since 9/21/10
    http://t1tween.blogspot.com/