- advertisement -

Proud parents .....AGAIN

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by ScottB, Feb 10, 2011.

1. ScottB

ScottB Approved members

I know some of you are probably tired of reading about me bragging about our boys but this time I can't help it but our non-D son Jason has earned his Eagle Scout badge and simply saying that my wife and I are proud is an understatement. The actual award ceremony wont be until this coming May so please don't ask for pictures at least not yet but he'll be turning 18 years old next week and in order to get his eagle, he had to achieve all his required merit badges along with community service hours before his 18th Bday all of which he has achieved/earned. A meeting of regional scout leaders looked over all his achievements and agreed he has earned his Eagle Scout badge, the only thing remaining is the actual ceremony. We're not going to wait till May to celebrate his achievements, instead we're planning on having a family celebration next Wednesday where not only will we be celebrating his 18th Bday but his Eagle as well. Nothing fancy or extravagant, just us with maybe some of Jason's close friends. We of course will be celebrating again in May but that will be with other family members and friends as well but this coming Wednesday will be Jason's day around here and we plan on having it be a memorable day for him which means we as a family will be having a BLAST!!

2. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Congrats! I know this is a huge honor and he worked incredibly hard for it.

Brag away!

3. hrermgr

hrermgr Approved members

Yes! Congrats! I understand that achieving the Eagle Scout award is a very big deal...and not too many are able to accomplish. So be proud!

4. selketine

selketine Approved members

Wow - congrats!!! My son is a scout so I know what a huge achievement and honor it is. What was his project?

5. taximom

taximom Approved members

Congratulations to your son! My son (non-D) is also in scouting, so we are very familiar with all the hard work that goes into it.
    Great job!

6. VinceysMom

VinceysMom Approved members

Congratulations on this wonderful achievement!! You all must be so proud!:D
    Absolutely awesome!

My husband is an Eagle Scout as well, and totally proud of it still,:) after all these years!!

7. LJM

LJM Approved members

I married an Eagle Scout! A very good guy. He has all of his stuff from the ceremony---it is quite something.

You should be very proud of your son. It takes a tremendous amount of work and dedication to get there.

8. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

Congratulations to your son! Having gone through this with my son last year, the day your son passed the Eagle rank board of review was his first day as an Eagle scout. In fact, the Eagle Scout certificate will have the board of review date on it. The Eagle Court of Honor is just to celebrate the achievement of the rank of Eagle.

9. ScottB

ScottB Approved members

All together his troop will have 4 Eagles this year which I think speaks volumes of Jason's troop leader, he's an absolute extraordinary leader who has a way of motivating the scouts into taking scouting to a higher level and making it fun at the same time. In the entire time our boys have been in Boy Scouts, their troop has produced 10 Eagles including this years 4 which I think is outstanding. The actual community service project Jason did this year involved all 4 of this years Eagles, they basically went to the city park commissioner and asked "What can we do that you need?". It turns out the town had about 15 acres of land that had been donated and the city park was wanting to turn it into a nature preserve type of walkway where all the trees and vegetation is native to this part of Indiana. Problem was that the land had been neglected for who knows how long and was literally full of trash of all sorts ranging from abandoned power boats just setting on the ground with no trailer underneath them to just plain old every day trash not to mention all sorts of non native/evasive trees and vegetation that had to come down so that was their task. It took Jason and the other 3 Eagles a solid 3 weeks pulling everything out and organizing the junk in a way that the city could easily pick it up which meant separating everything that was recyclable and then sorting the recyclables into their own categories. Us parents helped on weekends in fact my truck suffered about 10,000 miles worth of wear on its clutch just yanking some of the stuff out from under the trees.

10. sisterbeth43

sisterbeth43 Approved members

Congratulations to Jason on achieving this high honor, and a special congratulations to you and your wife for raising such a fine young man.

11. Lee

Lee Approved members

Good for him! That is a tough thing - so tough that if he joined the military, he would automatically go up a pay grade :eek:!

12. shekov

shekov Approved members

WOW! Congratulations! Sicking with scouting through the high school years really takes real dedication and a lot of parental support. Colleges will be glad to have him!

I am shocked that you have 4 Eagle scouts in your troop. That is amazing. I can only imagine what great guys these kids are. You should be proud. Good job Dad!

13. ScottB

ScottB Approved members

4 Eagles the same year does sound like an exaggeration but it is true and like I said before, it says volumes about the troop leader. Motivating your child to become an Eagle is one thing but having a troop leader that inspires the kids to actually want to do it is another. Jason is the only senior in the group, the other 3 are either sophomores or juniors in HS. For us motivating Jason was easy, when it became clear that he really wanted to participate in scouting and wanted to go on many out of state scout trips, we made him a deal because many of these trip were expensive and that deal was that we'll pay for these trips but we want a return for our $ and that "return" is earning an Eagle Scout. He slacked off for a bit but about this time last year he realized he had only 1 year left to earn the remainder of his required merit badges and was running out of time fast so yes, this past year has been busy for him.