- advertisement -

Prop 8 Ruled Unconstitutional

Discussion in 'Other Hot Topics' started by hawkeyegirl, Aug 4, 2010.

1. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

A federal judge has ruled today that California's Proposition 8, which banned same sex marriage is unconstitutional. Link.

This is a very big deal. Most (all?) other recent rulings on gay marriage have been issued by state courts, based on state constitutions. This is a federal court holding that the U.S. Constitution does not allow states to bar same-sex marriage.

The ruling will certainly be appealed to the 9th Circuit. That ruling will certainly be appealed to the U.S. Supreme Court, but it does not have to accept the case.

My feelings on the matter are thusly summed up: :)

(As a rather uninteresting aside, I appeared once in front of Judge Walker, who heard the case and issued the ruling. He's very smart and very scary. The man knew how to run a courtroom!)

2. LARSMS

LARSMS Approved members

Thanks for sharing.

I ditto your :)

3. Lucky 868

Lucky 868 Approved members

Watching the coverage on CNN right now. As a Californian who voted in favor of same-sex marriage, but has no connection to the gay community, I'm thrilled! The campaign for this Prop. 8 was memorable and largely funded by out-of-state interests.

Cyndy

4. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

As one residing in the fair state of Connecticut where same sex marriage is legal. I join you and all my friends in California in doing this:). Just want to add, this country needs to stay out of peoples bedrooms and doctors offices.

5. hold48398

hold48398 Approved members

Welcome to the 21st century! :)

6. hawkeyegirl

A snippet of Judge Walker's decision:

And a press release from Republican Governor Arnold Schwartzenegger:

I think this is a turning point for gay rights in this country.

7. bgallini

bgallini Approved members

:)

(message too short)

8. Ellen

Ellen Senior Member

And a little tidbit about gratitude from the last century:

U.S. District Court Judge Vaughn Walker was nominated by Presidents Reagan and George H.W. Bush.

:)

I'm sorry he issued a "stay" but it wasn't unexpected.

9. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Such terrific news! :D Prop 8 was just shameful.

10. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

It's sad that there had to be a ruling to determine it was unconstitutional.

Welcome, CA, to the 21st century!

11. emm142

emm142 Approved members

I'm far away from California, but :D.

I strongly hope that by the time I'm old enough to be thinking of marriage, the rest of the modern world will have caught up with this.

12. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

13. kiwimum

kiwimum Approved members

You could always come to NZ. It's been accepted and legal for about 5 yrs now!:)

14. hawkeyegirl

And somehow your society has gone on functioning? It has not destroyed the sanctity of marriage? You don't say?! :rolleyes:;)

15. kiwimum

kiwimum Approved members

Yep, we're still here and thriving.;) All same sex relationships, either married or just living together, get the same rights as other relationships when it comes to break-ups, and so on.

Personally I couldn't care less who is sleeping with who or how they're doing it.
    As long as they are happy and mind their business, then I'm happy and I'll mind mine!

16. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

Just wanted to add my :)

17. Ellen

Ellen Senior Member

18. Karenwith4

Karenwith4 Approved members

I loved this response to the line of questioning on Fox News.
    quote: The supreme court has said that the right to marry the person of your choice is a part of liberty privacy association and spirituality under the constitution...for all citizens.

Emma - there are roughly 30 countries in the world that either have legalized same sex marriage, or allow/recognize civil unions. Mexico's Supreme Court just made a ruling giving gay and lesbians full marriage rights. The US is now surrounded - lol. :)

19. chbarnes

chbarnes Approved members

Well gay marriage has been legal here in Iowa for about a year or so. I haven't seen a single straight marriage fall apart because of it. It has greatly helped our tourist industry as well as caterers and wedding planners. People are coming in droves from other states to get married.
    I'm sure it's just because of our state's natural beauty, lovely beaches, and beautiful weather.

Chuck

20. buggle

buggle Approved members

I was floored by Ted Olson when I saw that clip from Fox's Sunday show. I never would've expected that from him. That's the way arguments should be made on every issue -- upholding the Constitution is not being an "activist judge."