- advertisement -

Prom...

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by pianoplayer4, Apr 16, 2013.

1. pianoplayer4

pianoplayer4 Approved members

So last year at prom I learned that I need some way to wear the dexcom durring prom... I put the pump in my bra... but I really need to be able to see the dex (all the dancing and excitement and I'm low the whole time!) The dress I'm wearing this year isn't super... forgiving... so I'd need something sleek. Any good suggestions for thigh bands... or as weird as it sounds shin bands (do those exists?) then it would be more accessible...

Of course I'll just wear the sensor on my leg so it doesn't show! thanks!

2. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

The G4 kind of looks like a cell phone. Could you just keep it in your purse or even hold it in your hand?
    I know, have a wrist corsage and hid it underneath!

3. pianoplayer4

At my prom they have a room with tables where we all eat... and another room where we dance so I don't want to leave it in my purse because most of the time were dancing and I won't be able to see/ hear it/ it will be out of range

4. TheLegoRef

TheLegoRef Approved members

5. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Are you going with a date? Maybe he can carry it for you in his pocket?
    Otherwise pumpwearinc has thigh bands.

6. Megnyc

Megnyc Approved members

What is the back of your dress like?

For strapless dresses I usually safety pin a a little pouch (cut off the top of a really thin sock) to the part in between my shoulder blades and stick the pump (the dex in your case) in it. It is really easy to reach in and grab it if it vibrates. You could also just have your date grab it if you think that would be more discreet.

7. SandiT

SandiT Approved members

Could you use tape? KT tape should keep it secured for you, and if you put something over the face with a hole cut there, it should stay for the night.

I haven't used it for a dexcom or a pump, but I've used it for a cellphone. I just put a cloth around the cellphone with an opening at the top where the top of the tape touched cloth rather than skin. It isn't easy to get out, I confess, but it doesn't go anywhere unless you make it so, lol.

8. Lisa - Aidan's mom

Lisa - Aidan's mom Approved members

No suggestions, just wanted to wish you a memorable evening :)

9. pianoplayer4

thanks for all the replies! My dress is one shouldered... (I'll maybe try to upload a pic of it later... cause the internet at my house is really bad right now=( )

I like the idea of hanging it down my back... but I'm pretty sure you'd be able to see it... the dress has a thick strap, then sinches in around the waits and after that sort of just 'falls' I mean you could see my pump site when I tried it on at the store... not cause it's tight but just cause of the fabric.

I was thinking a thigh/calf band from Pumpwearinc would be good (they have both) but I'm worried it won't stay up.. and I don't want to spend a lot of money on something that won't work...

Oh, and I'm not going with a date this year... it's actually home-school prom (not as lame as it sounds) and not many people go with dates... really only people who are actually dating someone (which I'm not) So I'm going with a group of my friends... all girls so no pockets there=(

10. KatieSue

KatieSue Approved members

A small clutch would work. You'd have to hold it while you dance but it's doable.

How would you be able to check it if you had taped on? I know you'd feel the vibration but it wouldn't be easy to check the screen would it?

The wrist with a corsage over seems like a great idea - it would be easy to see when you needed to.

11. StacyMM

StacyMM Approved members

Mine are too young, but in case it helps...when DD was on a tubed pump and we had deal with flower girl dresses, we would pin a small sock on the lining of the dress, about thigh high on the front of the skirt. We could get to it, she didn't have to worry about sitting on it and the pin would go through the lining but not the visible fabric of the dress. Does your skirt have enough fabric to allow a small bag for the dexcom to be pinned to it? Easy to get to and if you had a see-through pouch, you would just be able to flip up a bit of your skirt any time you wanted to see it. Or, if there is a slit on the side or teh front, put the pouch right next to it so it's easy to get to?

12. pianoplayer4

this might work... not with the lining of the dress.. but I'm wearing one of those things to sort of 'sinch you in and smooth you out' and I could pin something to that maybe... I'll have to do some experimenting!

13. Jordansmom

Jordansmom Approved members

Last edited: Apr 17, 2013
  14. Jordansmom

Jordansmom Approved members

15. Mish

Mish Approved members

Many of the one shoulder gowns I've seen lately have some sort of big sparkly thing on the shoulder. (either a large flower or a big rhinestone thing) Could you add one to yours that hides your dex? Or modify what's already there to hide the dex?

16. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

LOL, I was in Michaels crafts today and saw some very large medallions. You could take your CGM, hang it on a cord and the heck out of it!:D

I actually was also in Sports Authority and saw compression bands for the thigh. What if you tried something like that?

17. Megnyc

Megnyc Approved members

How long is the dress? How tight fitting is it around the legs? Sorry, I am just trying to visualize it.

It it isn't too skin tight around the legs and if it ends a few inches above your knees you could just wear a pair of nude spandex shorts and stick it in between the shorts and your legs. I would put it near your inner thigh if the dress is really tight. Actually, you could do that even if the dress is long but it might be tough to reach up and get it.

I hope you have a great time!

EDITED:

Here, these are what I am talking about! You could just stick dex inside one of the legs. You could probably find them way cheaper though.

http://www.neimanmarcus.com/p/Comma...ds&ci_sku=prod154250012skuTRUENUDE&ci_gpa=pla

Last edited: Apr 18, 2013
  18. Lizzy731

Lizzy731 Approved members

A wristlet wouldn't do?

19. Joretta

Joretta Approved members

My daughter last weekend put everything in her purse. We had to search to find one to hold all she felt was needed. But it worked for her.

20. pianoplayer4

The problem with a wristlet is i wouldnt take it on the dance floor, instead Id leave it at my table (far away from the dance floor) and then I wouldnt hear it if it went off... I like the idea of a thigh band with clips... Anyway thanks for all the ideas! I have some time before prom so Ill have to try some of these things out and see what works best!