- advertisement -

Profuse sweating while sleeping

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by DavidN, Sep 5, 2013.

1. DavidN

DavidN Approved members

Dave wrote this in another thread but I wanted to discuss this specifically.

This happens to my son as well. We cool the house significantly to sleep. He huddles under the blankets and goes to sleep. Later I go to stick his finger and he is sweating profusely. I mean I pull back the blankets and see beads of sweat rolling down his body. It has happened with BG at 130 and BG over 200. Is this common for others? What is going on? I see Dave's explanation of the "liver dumping glucose into his system", but don't understand why. Why does this happen? Does T1D also make the liver misfire? Any feedback and/or insight would be appreciated.

2. shannong

shannong Approved members

Same thing happens with my son - the HUGE jumps in bg shortly after sleeping and the sweating. From what I have read, I believe it is the growth hormones being secreted during sleep. I don't think it is the liver dumping glucose, but the body is more insulin resistant due to the action of the growth hormones.

I was just reading an article today about how delta sleep (I think that is what it was called), happens in the earlier part of the night and this is when the most growth hormones are secreted. I'm over my head here, but that is my understanding of why it happens.

3. DavidN

DavidN Approved members

Thanks. So even non D kids sweat like this because of growth hormones?

4. Brenda

Brenda Junior Member

Thought you were going to talk about menopause. :D

I do not know why some children perspire more than others.

5. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

bwahaha, that's where my brain went too, we must be of a similar age!

I do think, however, that this is much more likely a hormonal surge than a liver dump. My son does see sweating with lows.

6. AmyJoeBut

AmyJoeBut Approved members

Both my T1D son and non-D son both sweat a lot at night. Of course, they also pull their blankets up to their chin, even when it is hot. Not sure where they get them from, though?

Never thought about hormones, just thought it was something they did.

Amy
    (going to couch to put a blanket on and pull it up to my chin)

7. Dave

Dave Approved members

Yup - its still happening every night. Definitely not a delayed food thing - we are low carb...its just like clockwork around 20 minutes after sleep he pops up to 140...i end up getting him 1 unit...maybe 1.3 units...usually that would drop him more than 100 points, but with this im just struggling to get him back to 100. Good fun! Lets hope he is going to be 7 feet tall and sign with The Lakers.

8. ksartain

ksartain Approved members

My son sweats profusely at night, but he's done it his whole life. He's like a furnace! I don't think his is diabetes related since he's 7, was just diagnosed in December, and has had the sweating issue since he was 3.

9. deafmack

deafmack Approved members

I keep a fan on low blowing on me all night. Otherwise I turn into the literal sweat furnace. :D