- advertisement -

Products to Treat Low BG

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Jay R, May 21, 2013.

1. Jay R

Jay R Moderator

Does anyone have knowledge of a product you can use to treat low blood sugar that is easy to carry, easy to take in small increments, and not a real threat to cause cavities in kids? I know you need some form of sugar/carbs to raise the BG, but maybe it doesn't stay in the mouth residually. Thanks.

2. LJM

LJM Approved members

Smarties are not as bad as things like Skittles for sticking to the teeth. At night we use juice, usually. Teeth have held up OK for the last 5 years; no major cavity issues at all (despite treating many nighttime lows).

3. kiwikid

kiwikid Approved members

We use Dex4 tabs or juice boxes. Nothing sticky...:cwds:

4. Megnyc

Megnyc Approved members

At night my parents used juice when I was younger and then had me rinse with kids mouthwash and spit into a cup. I slept through the whole thing :cwds:

This is what we used:
    http://www.actfluoride.com/products/act-for-kids/kids-bubblegum-blowout/

That may have been a bit excessive though. And I still got a ton of cavities so I don't think it even worked.

I use smarties often and I feel like those don't leave much of a residue on my teeth. For bad lows I use cake icing and just try to rinse my mouth or brush my teeth as soon as possible.

5. nebby3

nebby3 Approved members

I think tabs or juice (or smarties) will not damage teeth as long as you do routine dental care. My dd has had D almost 10 yrs and no cavities yet. I like juice boxes at night because the straw helps the juice bypass the teeth.

6. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

My daughter hates juice boxes and glucose(I have to admit, after 8 years I'd probably hate them too), so at night we use the Dex gel. It's pricey OTC, but I buy it through drugstore.com in bulk. We use these for night time.
    During the day we usually use fruit leather, Target brand. She likes them, they are easy to carry and I think about 15-16g.
    Sometimes she'll take Smarties, that's what the school nurse gives her.

7. tammy82

tammy82 Approved members

juice boxes here and candy. I just make sure my daughter brushes her teeth good.

8. skyblufig

skyblufig Approved members

We use either juice or kefir in increments of 10 carbs. Overnight, ds will drink those without waking up, and then usually I can get him to swallow a few sips of water from his water bottle to sort of rinse that stuff off. Fwiw, the kefir raises his bg a bit more slowly, but the protein in it keeps it up longer too.

9. tammy82

tammy82 Approved members

another item i keep im my daughters d bag is the small tubes of cake icing. this is nothing i normally give her but a good thing to carry around in an emergency.

10. wearingtaci

wearingtaci Approved members

I always keep a few packets of Pea with us for lows. Some packet is 9g of carbs and Sophie will happily eat them I her sleep

11. sooz

sooz Approved members

Pea? Packets of Pea? I'm not understanding. :confused::eek:

12. kirsteng

kirsteng Approved members

We only use milk at night. For daytime lows, we use juice boxes for the most part (but not the whole thing). Also rockets (called smarties in the us I think).. as they are powdery and similar to dextabs without the ridiculous pricetag. ;) Also very portable and in individually sized small packages. We really don't have that many lows to warrant them though - maybe because we're only 5 months in... I personally don't treat with juice or candy unless his bg is below 3.4 - and then, only with a very small amount.

13. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Since the goal is to raise blood glucose the available products all contain some form of "sugar" (dextrose, fructose etc) so ALL will potentially cause cavities. All you can do is use common sense, don't treat lows with anything sticky, use a straw for liquids and if you're really concerned, then have them sip some water after or chew some sugarless gum.

Many of us have sealant applied to the grinding surface of our kid's teeth. Not inexpensive, but effective.

14. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Approved members

You have made me curious also.

15. Lenoremm

Lenoremm Approved members

Milk at night unless very low in which case we use juice or gatorade. Our dental insurance covers an extra exam and cleaning a year for our ds with D. DS happens to be the only kid in the house without a cavity. Go figure.

16. Helenmomofsporty13yearold

Helenmomofsporty13yearold Approved members

It is either the sealant treatment or just good genes as DD has not had a cavity yet after 9 years of D.

17. Joretta

Joretta Approved members

Maybe Pez with auto correct. You knows the candy that goes in a dispenser with a cute head you tilt back.

18. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

I can't imagine eating a Pez in sleep though! Come back and clear this up...I'm curious too!

Last edited: May 27, 2013
  19. jessicat

jessicat Approved members

at night we use milk! then there is a little protein too and less cavity threat.
    I only carry milk boxes with me some of the time though. I usually carry glucose tabs when we are out.

20. wilf

wilf Approved members

apple juice