- advertisement -

Problems with Pods....

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Pauji5, Jun 25, 2011.

1. Pauji5

Pauji5 Approved members

We're had a weird thing lately.....we are on the 9th pod over the past month that the pod starts screaming while I'm filling it with insulin.......

Granted, Insulet has replaced them (and we have 2 more from last night) but honestly, it's a large waste of insulin, and it does make me wonder (especially when my husband keeps crabbing about it .....how well made are these pods?

I always wait until the insulin is delivered in the middle of the night, because it's always been in the back of my head, "what if it doens't stop> what if it overdoses?" I realize it's highly unlikely...but then again, the service reps seemed surprised about the pods that when crazy and had me send them back.

anyone else worry about these things????

2. manda81

manda81 Approved members

Our ENTIRE last shipment was bad, box after box... It was incredibly frustrating, but after getting through it, they replaced the entire shipment, and our new shipment has had zero failures.

I think it's less of a pod problem & more of a shipping issue. I just wish they could figure out a way for that to not happen, more bubble wrap or something... IDK. The good thing (I had to keep telling myself this) is that they ARE erroring out. They aren't overbolusing, they aren't doing anything dangerous, the amount of safety checks in them makes me happy that even when it's driving me nuts that they're erroring out... that's the GOOD news. There is a problem, and they stop working.

3. 5kids4me

5kids4me Approved members

Sorry you are having problems. Many people pull the insulin out if the pod fails shortly after changing. Insulet says not to do this, but I know many who have had no issues doing it. Hope things get better. I have wondered if it could be a shipping problem as well.

4. hueygod

hueygod Approved members

We pull our insulin back out and never have had any issues with that. Make sure the insulin is not cold, whatsoever. Insulet is good about the replacements, we were on a trip to Rhode Island and had four in a row fail and they offered to meet me at the door in the Massachusetts factory to get new pods. Thats hard to find in anything else.

5. Pauji5

Pauji5 Approved members

it's not so much the replacing - it's the piece of mind that it's working correctly......

6. lakevictoria

lakevictoria Approved members

We've had about every issue in the Insulet book. They claim that that error is a "filling pressure" issue. Whatever that means. We had our 2 back up pods do this in route to a dinner theatre. We were unable to turn back home so we called our rep and someone met us on the interstate with 3 extra pods to get us through the weekend. I'm just glad that they failed prior to insertion. :cwds:

7. Julie mom of Jack 6 dxd 3

Julie mom of Jack 6 dxd 3 Approved members

We had the same problem it ended up being a problem with the pdm that made the pods screw up they were very nice overnighted a new one and we have not had any problems since. I think the pod is totally worth it though

8. dqmomof3

dqmomof3 Approved members

We have had all kinds of pod failures. They have failed when we are priming (never hear the two beeps,) they have failed when they are trying to activate (can't communicate with the PDM,) a couple of occlusions, they fall off on day 1.5, etc.. And yet - my daughter LOVES being on the Pod! Her 45 day average bg is 128. We weren't getting anything close to that on the MM, because she never wanted to wear it or bolus with it.

So far, I really like that the Pod just errors out. I don't like the number of errors we've had...I think we're up to nine replacement pods that will be coming with our next shipment, and all nine have been out of the same shipment since we've only gotten one! I do wish the failure rate was less, but at least I know when they are failing.

9. JeremysDad

JeremysDad Approved members

We do this too. 200 units is still 200 units and insulin is expensive, especially for those who need to meet a high deductible before the insurance kicks in. It's frustrating when a pod fails but it is comforting to know that at least Insulet stands behind their product and will replace any failed ones. A failed pod also includes those that come loose from their "foot". This has happened a few times to Jeremy. He bumped the pod on something and it came off his arm. The "foot" was still attached to his skin.

10. annaluvspink

annaluvspink Approved members

We are coming up to our year anniversary with the Pod. I agree, be sure to let the insulin come to room temp before inserting into pod. Now that we do this, we've never had another one error while filling it.

Occasionally, we've had a few fail for no good reason, but as I understand it, the Pod 'self checks' itself tons of times every minute of the day and it 'fails' if a problem is ever detected. Personally, I like that, even if that means a failed pod. That alone gives me some reassurance. Insulet has always replaced a failed pod, and I like that, too.

We've never used another type of pump, but going tubeless and the automatic (almost no fail) insertion was the way to go (you never see a needle during insertion) :)

11. 5kids4me

I am wondering if those of you who have so many problems get your pods from a third party? We get ours directly from insulet and had very few problems. Maybe third party storing/shipping procedures are rough on the pods? Purely speculating on this....

For the first time in 7 months, we had a pod not give the 2 beeps after filling the other day. I know this is against insulet recommendations but we used the pod anyway. It primed and is working great-other than it does not beep. We are visiting family and only brought a few pods so I didn't want to throw this one away without seeing if it would work...we would be short on pods...so far so good. Tomorrow we change again.

12. Pauji5

Pauji5 Approved members

I don't believe they are available anywhere else but Insulet....

13. 5kids4me

Some people get them from a third part prescription company that orders them from insulet. We were given a choice to get them directly from insulet or from medco. We choose to get them from insulet so there isn't as much "movement", in theory.

14. manda81

manda81 Approved members

We don't use a third party. We have had minimal issues (maybe 1 per box on average fail) until our last shipment, which was on average, 8 per box that failed either during priming, insertion, or within 12 hours).

I am a stay-home (that's a laughable term, no?) mom, and have made sure I am actually at home on delivery day, so they do not sit outside the door, but that last shipment was whack from the second they arrived. 3 pods were death-beeping on delivery (wish you could have seen the delivery guy, he looked like he was holding a package of explosives), and we had constant issues. They replaced the shipment, and we're back to not having any issues. *shrug*

15. 5kids4me

Sorry to hear that...I guess I will just keep crossing my fingers and toes that we do not get a shippment from he!!:eek:

16. Mom2Kathy

Mom2Kathy Approved members

Yes, we get ours from the DME supplier linked to our insurance company. So there is more of a chance of problems due to more "movement" as you say since it is shipped twice: once form Insulet to the DME supplier and the second time from the DME supplier to me. The one good thing is that since they are right here in town, they usually arrive at my door the day after I order them.

17. Darryl

Darryl Approved members

We haven't had a pod fail while filling since around 2008. One thing I can recommend: Fill it slowly. There is a pressure (occlusion) sensor that could potentially trip if you fill it too fast.

18. swellman

swellman Approved members

We've only had 2 that I can remember for a very long time and I posted that I thought there was a good chance that was RF interference. In any event we only add 100U of insulin and I mentally count to 5 when filling that amount.

I have also never received a single screaming pod - that would concern me and even more so multiple screaming pods.

19. Melissata

Melissata Approved members

I agree that filling it slowly, very slowly, is the key for us also. No one ever told me that when I would call them to get one replaced. They asked about cold insulin, etc, but never said to fill it slowly. I haven't had one that didn't beep since then.
    When the pod rips away from the adhesive, I was told that they no longer replace them for that reason. It happened about a year ago. We use a strip of Flexifix across the top sides of the pod now to prevent that from happening. I have had a couple lately that looked like they would definitely tear if I didn't tape the pod, because the little round hole at the top edges of the pod tape is larger than it should be as soon as I place the pod on.

20. JeremysDad

JeremysDad Approved members

Interesting. Jeremy does tend to fill the pod a bit too quickly so I will mention this to him. Yesterday we had an occlusion as soon as the site was changed and Jeremy started to bolus. The pod was only a few minutes old.

BTW, I called Insulet because I had a few other failed pods I have been meaning to call in and mentioned this current occlusion and they replaced it. Their customer service, in my experience, has been nothing but outstanding.