advertisement

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problems with diabetic daughter

Discussion in 'UK' started by Karmamel, Jan 27, 2013.

1. Karmamel

Karmamel New Member

Hi all

This is my first post so will give you a bit of history. My daughter meg was diagnosed 12 January 2012 type 1 she is 12 years old.

Megan has had high readings since August (mostly between 14 and 26) her diabetic team has dealt with this by increasing her insulin on a weekly basis. She is currently on 17 17 17 novarapid and 31 nightly levemir. The increases never made a difference to readings. The diabetic team then questioned if meg was always having her insulin. I was confident that she was having breakfast tea and bedtime but lunch time I couldn't be sure as she did this on her own at school. So to determine she was having it I asked for school to supervise this.

Megan's blood readings continued to remain high and the clinic decided they would fit a probe next month.

The issues started at her most recent clinic appointment with her diabetic nurse. On entering the room I was questioned who the other child I had with me was to which I replied my youngest daughter the nurse replied 'she doesn't live with you tho does she ' the nurse had visited my home once and youngest was at school I felt this was quite an unprofessional remark and it hurt me ( maybe I'm being to sensitive) I was then told by this nurse that they had received an alarming call from Megan's school stating that Megan hadn't been attending lunch time insulin checks . Obviously I new nothing about this and was shocked that 1. She hadn't been going 2. I hadn't been told. I questioned who she had spoken to how long Megan hadn't been attending and was told for some time.

I was very upset and felt quite cross with Megan . The nurse asked Megan why and although sympathetic came to the conclusion Megan was embarrassed with her diabetes . This is not the case at all and after speaking to meg myself was told it was simply just an unconvenience to her.

I've contacted Megan's school on a number of occasions to speak to the senco left messages but my calls haven't been returned which I'm disgusted about i have spoken to the receptionist ( who was the person checking my daughter had her insulin who informed me meg hadnt come 10 times and that she had passed this information on to the senco i explained i knew nothing about this and expressed concern thathow this can not just affect megans health but also her concentration therefore her school work will suffer and can not understand. The senco however did find the time to take my daughter out of her form room and tell her she has to come lunch times as your mum is blaming your high readings on the school !!!! I can not get my head around any of this and feel I have been let down by so many professionals .

Anyone offer any advice

2. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

This particular forum does not get as much traffic as some of the others, you may consider posting it in the Parents forum.

I am not familiar with how things work in your schools, what your legal rights are and such, so I cannot address that aspect. I certainly feel the school was wrong in not notifying you but I do not know the best recourse without understanding your system there, sorry.

I also can't tell from reading if she was just not going for her checks or if she was not taking her insulin??

I did however want to comment and question the 17 17 17 dosage of novorapid (which I think is the same as novolog, yes??), is she on a set food schedule, with constant and unchanging food counts eaten? If so I would question WHY it has to be that way. I would suspect food as a factor in this as well, perhaps your daughter is chafing a bit at the rigidity of that type of a food program with set amounts and is eating outside the boundaries of that. A child on novolog/novorapid can eat what they want as long as they adjust the amount of insulin given to match the carbs consumed. I can't imagine a child of ANY age eating the same foods every day. You've got parties, late night slumber parties, growth spurts, sports, etc.

If your daughter is eating without taking more insulin, that could account for some highs. She's 12, it would be pretty normal for her to want to eat more. I honestly can't imagine expecting a child of that age to eat a certain amount each day.

She also could be approaching or experiencing menses now, and that will do all kinds of crazy things to her numbers, her levimir needs may change during her menses time and before. There are many factors at play but would I do know is that a set amount of insulin each day is very difficult to work with and expect perfect numbers. Do you have a correction factor? What do you do at home when she is high, is the next dosage changed to reflect more insulin needed or do you still give just the 17?

There are more precise ways to handle insulin needs. You might consider talking to your endo team about doing that instead of a set amount of insulin.

3. kiwiliz

kiwiliz Approved members

You could ask for a pump! If they are going to be organizing a cgms then a Medtronic pump works as both a receiver for the blood sugar level readings and also as an insulin pump! She might find it less impacting on her schedule if she only has to take a quick glance at her screen, put in the level to correct and take some insulin for he carb she is about to eat. The Nhs funds the pump and consumables. Worth asking your team about. Best regards Liz

4. purzola

purzola New Member

Patricia

hi kiwiliz. I live in the UK, have an 11 years old daughter with T1d and noted you are writing from NZ. I'm thinking to emigrate to NZ but my main worrying of course is how is the health service compared to the NHS here in UK. My daughter ha a medtronic pump and I have no problems with strips, lancets, etc. I don't have to pay for them. Is NZ similar ? Thanks a lot