- advertisement -

Probably Not Allowed But I Am Extremely Desperate

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Schleprock, Sep 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Schleprock

Schleprock Approved members

We have two T1's (my son and sister, both without insurance, lost recently:() and NEED
    Test strips (I have an accu-chek Aviva checker and a One touch Ultra machine) Insulin. We can use Lantus, Novolog, and/or Humalog.
    Alcohol pads
    Tegaderm
    G4 Sensors
    Animas Insets

I do not even care if these supplies are expired because our situations are sincerely desperate.

I don't have much money but could probably pay shipping.

If you have any of these items you do not need or have for sale really cheap PLEASE, PLEASE let me know. And at least remember my user name to message me if you come across something later as I am very afraid my message will be deleted. I can also give you my phone number so you can talk to me and know that my need is real.

Bless you, and all of us in this type of situation. Please forgive me for posting this, and I beg you not to leave me a mean comment,
    I do not like having to ask anyone for help and I hope no one here is having such a hard time as we are.

All my thanks in advance!

2. Jason's mom

Jason's mom Approved members

I have an unopened box of Lantus pens I can share. I'd like advice on how to ship if someone has suggestions.

3. missmakaliasmomma

missmakaliasmomma Approved members

I didn't look to see where you were from but if in the US, please apply for medicaid and a medicaid managed health plan for your son. They will cover everything if approved. My daughter has it. I don't think I could afford much of what she needs with regular insurance and definitely not if we had no insurance at all. In the mean time, it might be cheaper in the long run ( if this lasts awhile) to go back to shots.

4. caspi

caspi Approved members

I see you are in Tennessee. You should apply for Medicaid/CHIP for your children ASAP. Also check with your endo's office as I am sure they have extras they can share with you or know of programs in your area that can help. Good luck!

5. mocha

mocha Approved members

A lot of insulin manufacturers also have assistance programs, as do meter companies. I know Freestyle (Abbot) and Accu-Chek both have them. Additionally, Walmart does sell older versions of insulin (Humalin and Novolin, if I'm not mistaken) for about $25/vial. And while that last option may suck, it would be better than nothing.

6. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

I'm using Walmart's Novolin R and I like it better than Novolog. And it's $24.88 for a 1000 unit vial.
    I'm also using the Relion prime, the strips for which are 18 cents instead of more than one dollar for the accu chek aviva I was using. And it seems to be more accurate as far as I can tell.

7. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

Sorry for your situation.

It is illegal to give someone prescription medicine who it is not prescribed for.

Good luck.

8. Lizzie's Mom

Lizzie's Mom Approved members

I agree with applying for State insurance. Dealing with DHS is kind of a pain, but once obtained, the coverage is fabulous. It's worth jumping through the hoops.

If you qualify for TennCare, coverage is 100% (Amerigroup).

If you qualify for CoverKids, there are small co-pays, no deductibles, and it is also very good coverage (Blue Cross Blue Shield).

Some supplies/equipment require Prior Authorizations, but I've found that if our Endo and I document our needs well, we get what we need.

For TennCare:
    For CoverKids: http://www.covertn.gov/web/cover_kids.html

With Obamacare coming online soon, there are changes coming to at least CoverKids (not sure about TennCare): http://www.covertn.gov/web/CoverKidsBuyInTransition.pdf

I'll also hunt down the name of the social services person that works with Vanderbilt's Endo department in Middle TN - she may be able to hook you up with some emergency supplies and will be able to advise you on TennCare/CoverKids eligibility, as well. If I don't PM you with that info in the next 24 hours - PM me! Life gets O so busy around here sometimes. I'd dig it out now, but there's someone sound asleep in the room I'd be hunting in ;).

9. rakgyk

rakgyk Approved members

Walmart and Sams club sell generic brand strips for about $9 for a box of 50. The monitors for the strips are about $15. Maybe contact the company of the strips you currently have and see if they have some kind of program for people who need help.

10. Lizzie's Mom

PM sent :).

11. danismom79

danismom79 Approved members

In addition to what everyone else suggested, a box of alcohol preps is what? Two bucks? Or get a bottle for under a dollar and a pack of cotton balls and get more for your money.

12. TheTestingMom

TheTestingMom Approved members

:mad: What an unkind statement to say. It's only $2.00 if you have $2.00. She came her in need, asking for help, that isn't an easy thing for some. Don't belittle her, show some compassion :(

13. caspi

caspi Approved members

I don't think Danismom was belittling the OP. The OP said she would pay for shipping and it's cheaper to just go buy the wipes than have someone ship them to you. The OP's last post here was in 2010 about Indiana Medicaid. I'm not sure why her son isn't still receiving Medicaid. In any event, people have given her some useful suggestions but she hasn't returned to acknowledge any of them.

14. danismom79

danismom79 Approved members

Oh get a grip. Like caspi said, paying for shipping would cost a lot more than getting alcohol from the store. How you read any "unkindness" into that is beyond me.

15. Lizzie's Mom

I know I'm going to regret this, but here's the original list the OP gave for NEEDS (appx. retail prices added):
    • Test strips (I have an accu-chek Aviva checker and a One touch Ultra machine) +/- $1.00 for EACH strip
    • Insulin. We can use Lantus, Novolog, and/or Humalog. +/- $100 per vial. Off brands considerably cheaper, but we all know that different insulins can affect numbers; some also have sensitivities to certain brands; she stated what they need.
    • Alcohol pads +/- $2 for a box of 100. If I had other supplies I was able to send, I'd have been happy to throw in at least a couple of boxes.
    • Tegaderm +/- $10 for 8 dressings.
    • G4 Sensors +/- $350 for 4 sensors.
    • Animas Insets +/- $104 for 10 insets.
    I agree with TheTestingMom.

It was unkind to assume that the needs of the OP could be met by simply going to the store and getting a box of alcohol swabs, or better yet, a bottle of rubbing alcohol and some cotton balls for a couple of bucks.

The OP's needs are clearly not that simple.

I pray that she gets the help the T1D's in her life need.

16. Jeff

Jeff Founder, CWD

I'm going to close this thread, but would suggest that you call your diabetes team and ask for help. They generally have samples of supplies and should be able to assist in the short term.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.