- advertisement -

Primed 25 units- only got 2 drops

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by BittysMom, Feb 11, 2013.

1. BittysMom

BittysMom Approved members

Realized on our way to school that Caroline's cartridge was getting low so I did a fast change. I filled up a new one and just reattached the old tubing, loaded and primed. I planned on priming a lot because I figured there would be air where the cartridge met the tubing. It took 25 units just to get a drop or two. What was happening? Our short tubing only needs 10 units to fill when it's empty, let alone full.

She's been in the 200's all day and this is what I'm blaming ;)

2. Kaylee's Mom

Kaylee's Mom Approved members

If it was me I would just change her tubing when she got home .. just to be safe :)

Crystal

3. BittysMom

I did. I was worried there was a blockage of some sort. I've never gotten an occlusion alarm. I'm not sure if that would apply here.

4. Brensdad

Brensdad Approved members

I wouldn't worry, I'd be willing to bet that since you were in a hurry you might have missed a step. It happens.

5. Kaylee's Mom

Kaylee's Mom Approved members

What kind of pump do you use? We have the ping but do not have an occlusion alarm .. did changing the tubing help?

Crystal

6. BittysMom

I guess it was just an odd fluke. I'll never know.

P.S. We *love* your wife's creations. :)

7. BittysMom

She has a Ping. We didn't get any alarms, I was just pondering if we would have gotten one if there was a blockage holding up the insulin while I primed. She went high after dinner with the new tubing and has since been on the low side, so who knows. :confused:

8. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

what insulin are you using? Apidra?

9. BittysMom

Nope Humalog.

10. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

OK, I was going to say that Apidra does seem to crystalize at the end of a tubing and If I reuse tubing it is only once, as any longer that that it does get clogged at these smaller anounts.

11. Logansmom

Logansmom Approved members

Not sure if this helps for the ping but I did get an alert last week or week prior that said occlusion detected and the bolus wasn't delivered. The error was on the meter.

12. Mommy For Life

Mommy For Life Approved members

Once when we were changing site/cartridge I was priming the pump and barely a drop came out and the pump sounded funny. I ended up removing the battery, rewinding, loading and repriming the site. That did the trick, but it was a bit alarming as I was nervous the pump was going on the fritz and I would have to use lantus until a new pump could be sent out. I really would have no idea how much lantus to use for basal if her pump were to die. :eek:

13. BittysMom

I wondered how quick to pick up an occlusion these pumps are. Thanks.

14. BittysMom

I considered giving Caroline a simple shot a week ago when corrections weren't working and it was amazing how quickly you get used to not doing that! :)

15. Brensdad

Brensdad Approved members

That's awesome! I love her creations too. :cwds: