advertisement

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Preschool lunch

Discussion in 'School and Daycare' started by mollyjade, Jan 28, 2018.

1. mollyjade

mollyjade New Member

My son is newly diagnosed type 1 at 3 years old. He's at preschool for lunch three days a week. The school staff has been wonderful. There's an administrator who uses an insulin pen for type 2, and several other people who are being trained as well.

I'm wondering what other people do for lunch. I'm planning to send in carb counts. But for this age, you really can't count on the kid to eat everything you send. Our current medical plan has us dosing after eating so we can calculate what kiddo actually eats.

How does your school/daycare handle adjusting carb counts based on what the kid eats? With all that goes on with a class of 3-4 year olds eating, I imagine it will be hard for the teachers to just glance at his food before and after he eats and remember the difference. I'm thinking of sending in a photo of his lunch every day so they can see the "before." Is that going overboard? Is there a simpler method you use?

2. rgcainmd

rgcainmd Approved members

[My daughter was much older (11.5 years) when diagnosed, so I am not speaking from experience.] In order to avoid chasing as large a high by bolusing after eating, I’d pre-bolus for 50 to 75% of the carbs in the meal, and then bolus afterwards for the additional carbs actually consumed. This would be much easier to do with a pump, however.