- advertisement -

Pregnancy not recommended?

Discussion in 'Diabetes in Pregnancy' started by CarrieScott, Jun 20, 2007.

1. Sugarless

Sugarless Approved members

This all sounds too familiar. I have had diabetes since I was 7 yrs old (I am now 37). I took shots for 23 yrs and have been on the pump for 7. I was always told that I would not be able to have children ~ in fact I was talked into have my tubes tied at age 26. I have had an angioplasty and diabetic retinopathy with many years of high blood sugar levels.

When I got on the pump things changed dramatically. My A1c was down to 5.8 and I haven't had a problem with my diabetes since I was 18 years old.

Good news ~ I now have a 4 yr old daughter. I had to do in-vitro since my tubes were tied. My pregnancy couldn't have went better. No problems what so ever. The best thing that I ever did.

If you want to have children ~ do it!! Plan ahead. Get involved with your endo and OB and do all the necessary things that need to be done in order to have a healthy pregnancy.

Good luck!:)

2. rare

rare Approved members

I'm going to be the voice of dissent and with good reason. I'm not saying what I'm about to say to scare anyone or be pessimistic - I just want it to be understood why doctors sometimes recommend against pregnancy.

Growing up I had an aunt, who was not a blood related aunt, but still an aunt to me in every sense of the word that people call each other family. She had been a T1 since she was dx'd at 18. Back then there was no taking insulin with meals, so she did her 2 injections daily and was on a very strict diet which she never cheated on. She took amazing care of herself.

She got married sometime in her 20's and wanted so badly to have a child even though her doctor told her it was a very bad idea. He suggested adoption or anything else besides conceiving naturally. She did not listen and suffered many miscarriages. She finally managed to carry a baby past the first trimester and ended spending her second trimester in the hospital. She only made it to the 28th week before her son was born prematurely. I forget how tiny he was - I want to say like 1lb or something. He's now a very tall, happy, healthy, teenager.

After he was born her health faded quickly. Her kidneys failed and she was put on dialysis. She was placed on a waiting list for a new kidney and pancreas. I think she ended up waiting 3 years. By that time she was very sick and could hardly do anything for herself, let alone take care of her then 4 year old son. She went in for her transplant and the surgery went well. However, she only lasted about 7 days beyond that before her body was too tired to keep fighting. She went into cardiac arrest and a coma. She was on life support for about 2 days before her husband decided to pull the plug. She lived to the ripe old age of 34. Her son grew up without a mother.

3. yeswe'rebothD

yeswe'rebothD Approved members

Rare, while that is an unfortunate case, I would ask that each diabetic woman make her own decision. I have heard of so many times that someone who takes good care of their D, only to suffer many complications in relatively little time. Then there are the many who don't do a thing to control their D and still live long lives with little ill health to show for it. Control is key, yes I agree completely, BUT not everyone will suffer the same consequences as your aunt did.

Are you going to tell me that I should actually be dead, since I have had D longer than your aunt did, and have had two full-term pregnancies? I have very few complications at this point, and those I have are very mild for the level of control I've been able to acheive over my 17 years since my diagnosis.

Your aunt's experience, yes, is tragic, but it is NOT what every woman with diabetes is doomed to if she decides to bear children.

4. Ali

Ali Approved members

I also had two full term healthy pregnancies-natural deliveries everything great. But yes, you do need to get everything checked out ahead of time. I am all in favor of adoption, we adopted our third child but I have type one friends who are healthy and strong after four and five natural born kids. All having lived with the disease since childhood. Just get the Ok from your Endo. Ali

Last edited: Mar 30, 2008
  5. 6miraclez

6miraclez New Member

I was told not to have kids the whole time I was growing up. I've had diabetes for 30yrs, pumping for 18yrs, just got on the CGMS. I have 6 kids now.

If you want to have children, then do it. Just make sure you get the proper medical care. I saw a perinatologist (Maternal Fetal Medicine doctor) with all of my pregnancies. All of my kids are healthy and have no health problems related to me having diabetes when I had them. I do have 1 child who was diagnosed with diabetes at 6yrs old but then again, no one in my family had diabetes and there is me and 2 of my brothers who now have it. Go figure.

Knowledge is the key. Don't let this disease control you. Control it instead.

6. melanie46721

melanie46721 Approved members

My father found out he was type 1 when he was 24 years old. I am greatful that he wanted children and did not think about not wanting to pass it on to his children. I found out I was type 1 when I was 21, five years ago. I think it was easier to accept the disease having a parent who also had it. It didn't bother me at all. I was used to eatting a strick diet because of him, and when he was ill, I would even give him his shots as a child. My parents always checked our sugar just to see. I plan on having children in about 2 years. If my child happens to have diabetes, i hope they see things the same way that I saw them. My doctor says having children if fine but I need to keep my a1c down for at least a year,which is at 8.2 right now, before conceiving.

7. iamslh

iamslh Approved members

I have had diabetes for 17 years, and I am pregnant with my third. My a1c at conception was 7.4. I have hypoglycemic unawareness and gastroparesis so although my doctor normally wants a1c's under 7 before pregnancy, she told me to go ahead and try because where my blood sugars are at are okay for the problems I have with maintaining them. I work very hard for a 7.4, especially since I can't bolus until after meals and I can't feel lows! AACCK!

I have a CGMS system, so I can always see where my blood sugar is around. That helps. I test often. Both of my children were 4 weeks early. Sandis was healthy at birth, and Gracie had some breathing issues that resolved after five days. There is no reason to believe the breathing issues were related at all to my diabetes but rather to her being born early.

Each person is different. I recommend that if your doctor is firm against you having a baby, perhaps get a second opinion?

8. MomtoPatience

MomtoPatience Approved members

I am type 2, I do not really have any advice but I want to send you ((( hugs))) and let you know I am praying for you. I also found out I have lupus. I have 3 children on earth, and plan to have one last baby.

9. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

Why has this thread been revived 2 years later?

10. coldblood676

coldblood676 Approved members

I am only 17 so i cant really give much help, however this is my view on it all.

You are overall in control of your life, and something i try to tell all my diabetic friends is that diabetes is not something that will stop me from doing anything in my life. Weather it be me wanting to go to the moon, i will find a way to do that.

In my opinion if you want to have a baby go with your heart, sometimes the doctor needs to let the patient make choices for them selves and i believe that this is one of those situations :)

-Luke Saunderson

11. blufickle

blufickle Approved members

I have 2 children ages 28 and 26, neither of them are a type 1. As a matter-of-fact my youngest is hypoglycemic.

I wasn't trying to get pregnant and I did. I had to go to a woman's hospital at a near by university because the hospital in my town refused to deliver any diabetic babies. For me that was probably one of the hardest things, after the first trimester driving every week 75 miles round trip.

When I was carrying both my children, I did have a few more insulin reactions (hypos). They put me in the hospital to "get under better control". My blood sugars went crazy while I was in the hospital both times so I was let out quickly. I had all day sickness so that was a BIG problem. They also had me do a baby movement count every day. I had to count the movements of each baby every day for 15 minutes. The problem with this is they didn't tell me I could stop after I reached 100. So I'd have numbers of 500 and up to 800! Bot of my children were taken early and via c-section. But then that is how it was done 28 years ago. The c-sections were necessary. Even if I wasn't a diabetic I couldn't have delivered a baby.

I'm discovering that menopause is much harder on me than the pregnancies ever were.

But I'd look for another doctor. There's no reason why a diabetic woman cannot have a baby.

12. Connie(BC)Type 1

Connie(BC)Type 1 Approved members

I've never been pregnant, but certainly didn't have a problem with menopause, breezed through it~

13. 23yearoldpumper

23yearoldpumper New Member

Pregnancy

I have had diabetes for about 22 years. I am 23 now and I had my 1st child when I was 21. I can tell you from personal experience that my pregnancy was fine. The O/B that I went to was amazed that it was going so well because of my diabetes but he was glad to see that it was going so well. During my pregnancy my sugars were better than they had ever been. I think that you should take what your doctor says into consideration but YOU SHOULD DO WHAT MAKES YOU AND YOUR HUSBAND HAPPY. You know what you have been through and you know what your body can with stand.